Work pushing a mass up a plank

• Thread starter lilmissbossy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work and potential energy involved in pushing a crate up a plank and onto a truck platform. The given values for mass, length, force, and platform height are used to calculate the work done and potential energy gained by the crate. It is assumed that there is no friction involved and the force is directed along the length of the plank. The final conclusion is that the calculations are correct.
lilmissbossy

Homework Statement

force F is required to push a crate of mass m up a plank of length L into a truck whose platform is a vertical distance h above the road.

a)How much work is done pusing the crate up the plank m=100kg, L=5m, F=490N h=1.2m
b)what is the increase in PE of the crate once the crate is on the platform

Homework Equations

W=Fxd
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so my working is

W=Fxd
W=490Nx5m
W=2450N

and

PE=mgh
PE=(100kg)(9.8ms-1)(1.2m)
PE=1176 N

Hmmmmmmm...i think they are right

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah it looks ok, provided no friction is involved and F is directed along the length of L.

Excellent i finally got one right by myself!

1. What is the definition of work when pushing a mass up a plank?

Work is the amount of energy required to move an object a certain distance in the direction of the applied force.

2. How is work calculated when pushing a mass up a plank?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it is moved, in the direction of the force.

3. Does the angle of the plank affect the amount of work required to push a mass up?

Yes, the angle of the plank does affect the amount of work required. The steeper the angle, the more work is required to push the mass up the plank.

4. Is pushing a mass up a plank considered a form of work?

Yes, pushing a mass up a plank is considered a form of work because it requires energy to be exerted in order to move the object against the force of gravity.

5. What factors can affect the amount of work required to push a mass up a plank?

The factors that can affect the amount of work required include the mass of the object, the angle of the plank, and the force applied to the object. Friction and the surface of the plank can also impact the amount of work required.