1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work to stop

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    This should be easy...the problem asks for the amount of work needed to stop a 1000kg car traveling @ 100km/h.

I am having a hard time do to the fact acceleration,distance nor time is given.

here is how I think i need to approach this:

convert 1000km/h to m/sec

find acceleration

use Work=Mas*acceleration*Distance to find work

Here are the variables i know:

Vf = 0
    V0 = 27.78 m/s

how can i find acceleration if no distance or time is given? I would think i need to find acceleration to calculate work needed to stop.

any hints?:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

convert speed to m/s:
    100km/h * 1000m/km * h/3600s = 27.7777m/s

you have to remember the standard formula for all of these types of problems is energy in = energy out. expanded, it looks like this:
    Wo + Ko + Po = Wf + Kf + Pf

W is work, K is kinetic energy, P is potential energy. For this equation, there is no work put in, no initial potential energy, no final potential energy, no final kinetic energy. With all the 0 terms removed, it looks like this:
    Ko = Wf

solfing for equation:
    (1/2)mv^2 = W
    (1/2)(1000)(27.777^2) = W
    W = 385800J
    W = 3.858 x 10^5 J
  4. Dec 12, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to stop any object, you need to reduce its velocity to 0. That means you need to reduce its kinetic energy to 0. Work is energy so: calculate the kinetic energy. That's the work you need to do to stop the object.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?