1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working complex fractions without conjugate method

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ive been given a question that requires an answer in polar form but the method I must use is the normal addition/subtraction of fractions. This throws me because i'm sure there is a simple method for the reciprocal of a complex number.

Q. 1/(13- 5i) - 1/(2-3i)

2. Relevant equations

where z = a + bi
    i'm aware of how to change to polar for whole numbers and how to get where I want using the conjugate method but cant fathom the correct start point.

3. The attempt at a solution

I considered 1/13 - 1/5i using the rules of fractions but wasn't convinced.
    The alternative was to convert straight to polar using 1 / 0degrees over the (13-5i in polar form)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{1}{a+ bi}= \frac{1}{a+ bi}\frac{a- bi}{a- bi}= \frac{a- bi}{(a+ bi)(a- bi)}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{a- bi}{a^2-b^2i^2}= \frac{a- bi}{a^2+ b^2}[/tex]

(Even for real numbers,
    [tex]\frac{1}{a+ b}\ne \frac{1}{a}+ \frac{1}{b}[/tex])

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    Doesn't that just proove the Complex Conjugate method? I can only solve the answer without the use of this method.

The actual wording of the question is:
    Evaluate the following expression using normal addition/subtraction of fractions and/or polar form (i.e DO NOT use the complex conjugate method) giving the result in polar form.

if I use (a-bi)/(a2 + b2) doesnt this just mean I've used the complex Conjugate Method? Or ar you saying I can do it this way:

where a^2 + b^2 = 13^2 + 5^2 = 194

13/194 + (5/194)i

0.067 + 0.026i
    and the same for the second rectangular element of the question (1/(2-3i)

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I think "normal addition/subtraction of fractions" means you find a common denominator for the two fractions, and then you can add the resulting numerators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook