Working out how many complete waves are sent out.

In summary, the question involves finding the number of complete waves emitted by a source of light with a wavelength of 600nm and a speed of 3×108ms-1 in 0.04 μs. Using the formula f=v/wavelength, the frequency is calculated to be 0.0005 Hz. Then, using the formula T=1/f, the period is calculated to be 2000s. This is incorrect and a sign that something is wrong. After realizing the mistake in entering the values into the calculator, the correct answer of 2×107 is obtained.
onecupoftea

Homework Statement

A source of light emits a train of waves lasting 0.04 μs. The light has a wavelength of 600nm and the speed of light is 3×108ms-1. How many complete waves are sent out?
a)2.0×107
b)4.5×107
c)2.0×1010
d)4.5×1013

Homework Equations

f=v/wavelength (sorry, I couldn't find the wavelength symbol)

T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is what I tried:
f=v/wavelength
f=3×108/600×10-9
f=0.0005

T=1/f
T=1/0.0005
T=2000

then I did:
0.04×10-6/2000

=2×1010

Which was so close to one of the answers; frustrating! Could somebody please explain to me what to do? It's driving me crazy. I'm finding it hard to carry on with the rest of the assignment because I keep going back to that question and staring at it, willing my brain to work!

Physics news on Phys.org
onecupoftea said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is what I tried:
f=v/wavelength
f=3×108/600×10-9
f=0.0005

You entered this into the calculator wrong. Watch your parenthesis.

A big clue that something is wrong is that you have a period of 2000 s. If light has a really small wavelength and a fast speed, does it make sense that it should take over half an hour for one wave cycle?

A-HA!
Thank you! I now get the answer 2×107.
Yeah, I did look at the 2000s and think that was a tad wrong...
I'm now torn between being pleased that I knew how to work out the answer and the dismay of not being able to use a calculator.
Thank you again!

1. How is the frequency of waves calculated?

The frequency of waves is calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength. This gives the number of complete waves that pass a point in one second.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

3. How do you determine the number of complete waves in a given distance?

To determine the number of complete waves in a given distance, you need to know the wavelength of the wave. Then, divide the distance by the wavelength to get the number of complete waves.

4. Can the number of complete waves change?

Yes, the number of complete waves can change if the frequency or the wavelength changes. However, the speed of the wave remains constant.

5. Why is it important to know the number of complete waves?

Knowing the number of complete waves can help in understanding the properties and behavior of waves. It is also essential in various applications, such as communication and navigation systems.