How to find wave oscillations?

In summary, the wave described in the conversation has a wavelength of 3.0m, a frequency of 25.0 Hz, and an amplitude of 14.0 cm. It travels in the positive x-direction and has a value of zero at t=x=0. By using the equation y=Asin(ωt-kx), it can be determined that the wave has made 500 complete oscillations at t=20.0 s and x=4.2 m. This is calculated by considering the phase of the wave and how many cycles are produced during the given time and distance.
hopelessphysics

Homework Statement

A wave has a wavelength of 3.0m; a frequency of 25.0 Hz; and amplitude of 14.0 cm. The wave travels in the positive x-direction and has a value of zero at t=x=0. How many complete oscillations has the wave made at t= 20.0 s and x=4.2 m?

A) 3132
B) 1566
C) 498
D) 25
E) 3

Homework Equations

T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the problem I was confused because if the wave length is 3m and the x distance after it stops is 4.2 meters, wouldn't it only complete one full oscillation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider the phase of the wave, how many times 2pi is it.

what do you mean? what is the phase of the wave?

How many cycles are produced during that 20 second duration?

that would be the frequency times the time period? so 25×20?

hopelessphysics said:
what do you mean? what is the phase of the wave?

You write the wave as y=Asin(ωt-kx). The argument of the sine is the phase.

hopelessphysics said:
that would be the frequency times the time period? so 25×20?
So in 20 seconds, 25x20 cycles propagate outwards from the origin.

So 500 would be the answer?

hopelessphysics said:
So 500 would be the answer?
The answer to which question, exactly?

the original equation: How many complete oscillations has the wave made at t= 20.0 s and x=4.2 m?

hopelessphysics said:
the original equation: How many complete oscillations has the wave made at t= 20.0 s and x=4.2 m?
I can see how the 20 seconds is accounted for, but where have you taken into consideration that 4.2 meters?

thats what I am confused about

I don't understand how the two go together?

That 4.2m is your monitoring distance from the origin. The origin is the point where the waveform propagates from.

so how does it affect the 20×25?

You need to draw a diagram. A set of axes, with the wave originating at the origin and moving out along the x axis. Mark on it the 4.2 m.

How will that help me?

We can see from the problem that you are at the point in the course where you need to acquire this knowledge
This simulation might help, although here the wave is reflected back at the right hand end (select loose end ,oscillate and no damping):
https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/wave-on-a-string

Last edited:
hopelessphysics said:
How will that help me?
You might consider to follow my method shown in Post #6 .

The wave is a function of both t (elapsed time) and x ( the distance traveled ) .
It can be written as y=A sin(ωt-kx) where ω is the angular frequency and k is the wavenumber. In terms of frequency f and wavelength λ, the wave is y=Asin[2π(f t - x/λ) ].
y = 0 when x = 0 and t = 0. A complete oscillation means that the phase 2π(f t - x/λ) changes by 2π and y returns to zero. You have to calculate how many times it happens till the given time and distance.

1. What equipment do I need to find wave oscillations?

To find wave oscillations, you will need a source of waves (such as a wave generator), a medium for the waves to travel through (such as water or air), and a measuring device (such as a wave detector or oscilloscope).

2. What is the process for finding wave oscillations?

The process for finding wave oscillations involves setting up your equipment, generating waves, and measuring the resulting oscillations. You may need to adjust the frequency or amplitude of the waves to observe different types of oscillations.

3. How do I identify different types of wave oscillations?

Different types of wave oscillations can be identified by their characteristics, such as amplitude, frequency, and wavelength. For example, a standing wave will have a fixed amplitude at certain points and zero amplitude at others, while a traveling wave will have a varying amplitude as it moves through the medium.

4. Can wave oscillations be affected by external factors?

Yes, wave oscillations can be affected by external factors such as the properties of the medium, interference from other waves, and the presence of obstacles or boundaries. These factors can change the characteristics of the wave oscillations and may need to be taken into account during the observation and measurement process.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave oscillations?

Wave oscillations have many practical applications, such as in the fields of acoustics, optics, and electronics. Some examples include using sound waves for medical imaging, using electromagnetic waves for wireless communication, and using mechanical waves for earthquake detection.