Working with character LCDs

• Thread starter Tony
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has completed an introductory course in practical electronics and is interested in working with a character LCD on a 8051-based circuit. They are seeking resources and guidance on how to get started, and advice is given to refer to the user manual for the LCD driver and to research the physical and logical methods for driving the LCD. They are also advised to download user manuals and datasheets for the LCD displays and look for programming application notes.
Tony
I've recently finished an introductory course in practical electronics, (completed the entire Hayes/Horowitz AoE student manual) and am itching to do some further work.

In particular, I want to get a character LCD (was thinking of ordering something from here: http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/catalog.asp?ACTION=2&cat=Lcds&sub=Character Lcd ) to work with a 8051 based circuit I have set up. I've done a little bit of programming with the 8051 already, so my question is primarily on how to work with an LCD screen.

Does anyone have suggestions for some resources and how to get started?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Great stuff Tony, keep it up. The LCDs will either have the driver IC embedded in them, or they will call out which driver IC to use with them. Get the User Manual for the driver portion, and read about the physical and logical methods to drive them. For example, the physical interface will either be serial (SPI or I2C usually) or parallel (byte-wide with some control signals). You will chose whichever interfaces is most easily supported by your 8051 platform. Then read about the commands that you send the LCD module to make it display characters, etc., and code those up in your 8051. For example, you will often send out a header byte with a command (like clear screen, or write character, etc.), with optional data after that first command byte. It all depends on the driver IC for the LCD.

Hope that helps. Download some User Manuals / datasheets for some of those displays, and look for programming application notes for them as well.

Congratulations on completing an introductory course in practical electronics! Working with character LCDs is a great next step in your journey.

To get started, I would recommend checking out some online tutorials or resources that specifically focus on interfacing LCDs with the 8051 microcontroller. There are plenty of websites and forums that offer step-by-step guides and code examples to help you get started.

You can also refer to the datasheet of the specific LCD you plan on using to understand its pinout and communication protocol. This will help you in properly connecting and programming the LCD with your 8051 circuit.

Additionally, I would suggest experimenting with smaller projects first, such as displaying a simple message or counting numbers on the LCD. This will give you a better understanding of how to control and manipulate the display.

Finally, don't hesitate to reach out to online communities or forums for any specific questions or troubleshooting help. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a character LCD and how does it work?

A character LCD (liquid crystal display) is a type of display screen commonly used in electronic devices. It consists of a grid of pixels that can be turned on and off to display characters or symbols. The LCD works by applying an electric field to the liquid crystal material, causing it to twist and block or allow light to pass through, creating the desired characters or symbols.

2. How do I connect a character LCD to my circuit or device?

The specific method of connecting a character LCD to your circuit or device will depend on the specific LCD and circuit you are using. However, in general, most character LCDs require a power and ground connection, as well as connections for data and control signals. It is important to refer to the datasheet or instruction manual for your specific LCD to ensure proper connection.

3. Can I display custom characters on a character LCD?

Yes, most character LCDs allow for the creation and display of custom characters. This is typically done by defining the pixel pattern for the desired character and storing it in the LCD's memory. However, the number of custom characters that can be used at one time may be limited, so it is important to refer to the LCD's datasheet for specific instructions and limitations.

4. How do I control the contrast and brightness of a character LCD?

The contrast and brightness of a character LCD can usually be controlled by adjusting the voltage levels of the LCD's power and contrast pins. This can be done manually using potentiometers or through code using a microcontroller. Again, it is important to refer to the LCD's datasheet for specific instructions.

5. What are some common troubleshooting tips for character LCDs?

If you are having issues with your character LCD, some common troubleshooting tips include checking all connections, ensuring the LCD is receiving proper power, and checking for any code errors. It is also helpful to refer to the LCD's datasheet or instruction manual for troubleshooting tips specific to your device. If you continue to have issues, it may be necessary to replace the LCD or seek assistance from a professional.