[Worksheet] Horizontal/Vertical components + other

• Thread starter Torald
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation centers around a student who was given a physics worksheet and now has an upcoming NAB. They are struggling with understanding the concepts of trigonometry and how it relates to horizontal and vertical components of velocity. They also ask for help with a question involving a ball reaching a net and the vertical distance it will travel. The conversation ends with a reminder to factor in gravity in their calculations.
Torald
Hey there.

Was given this sheet a while ago. Went over it in class a week ago, completely forgot everything about it today (This is a fresh sheet, lost the one I did.). Have an NAB tomorrow, and couldn't find my physics teacher today to get this worked out.

So, the problem is that I have no clue with what to do. I got some basic info down, but that is it.

Course is in Higher Physics.

Thanks in advance.

Edit : FORGOT THE WORKSHEET!

Phys_001.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you wrote there.

For (a), you should consider a triangle, where one angle is 50° and the other one is 90° ("standing" on the ground). This will give a relation between horizontal speed and total speed, as well as a relation between vertical and total speed via trigonometry.

For b: Does the horizontal velocity change? If not, how can you calculate the time until the ball reaches the net?

c: What is the vertical position of the ball after that time?

Thanks for the reply.

U = Initial Velocity (6.0 m/s)

Hv = Horizontal Component (2.0m)

Vv = Vertical Component (0.9m)

Focusing on question a):

[STRIKE]Trigonometry...Egh. Hate it.

Since the Hv is perpendicular (90 degrees), to calculate the components, it would involve cos(x), right?
Don't know what do with that, though. For the Hv, would I do (As in, punt into a calculator) "6.0cos(90)"? Or "2.0cos(90)"? Or...?

As I said, I have not much of a clue as to what to do here.

Your help is most appreciated.

Edit: Alright. I think I figured out how to calculate the components.

Vv = 6sin(50) = 3.9

Hv = 6cos(50) = 4.5

But shouldn't they add up to 6? 3.9 + 4.5 = 8.4

Gah. Confuzzled.[/STRIKE]

Got it!

The Hv = Vcos(Θ)
= 6cos(50)
= 3.9

Trick to remember : HC - Horizontal Cos

The Vv = Vsine(Θ)
= 6sine(50)
= 4.5

Trick to remember : VS - Vertical Sine

For

D = 2.0
V = 6.0

So, use d=v/t |With rearranging| t = d/v

2.0/6.0 = 0.3

Although, I don't know what to do for [c]. Help would be good. I assume it involves the Vv, Velocity, time.

Last edited:
For c) so at 3 s it reaches the net. How far will it travel vertically in 3s with initial velocity 6sin30? If this is greater than 0.9 then it makes it over the net.

Torald said:
The Vv = Vsine(Θ)
= 6sine(50)
= 4.5
You should be careful with rounding (4.596...)

For

D = 2.0
V = 6.0

So, use d=v/t |With rearranging| t = d/v

2.0/6.0 = 0.3

No, it is a horizontal distance, and the horizontal speed is not 6m/s.

@ofeyrpf: Don't forget gravity.

1. What are horizontal and vertical components?

Horizontal and vertical components are two parts of a vector. A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. The horizontal component is the part of the vector that points in the horizontal direction, while the vertical component is the part of the vector that points in the vertical direction.

2. How do you find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

To find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the horizontal axis. The vertical component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the horizontal axis.

3. What is the relationship between horizontal and vertical components?

The horizontal and vertical components of a vector are perpendicular to each other. This means that they form a right angle. Additionally, the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components is equal to the square of the magnitude of the vector. This relationship is known as the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can horizontal and vertical components be negative?

Yes, horizontal and vertical components can be negative. This depends on the direction in which the vector is pointing. If the vector is pointing in the positive direction, then both components will be positive. However, if the vector is pointing in the negative direction, then one or both components may be negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of horizontal and vertical components?

Horizontal and vertical components are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in physics, these components are used to analyze the motion of objects, while in engineering, they are used to design structures and calculate forces. In navigation, horizontal and vertical components are used to determine the direction and speed of a moving object, such as a plane or a boat.