World's record for highest freq photon ever seen, nature or lab?

In summary, the conversation discusses the highest frequency photon ever seen and whether it can be generated at the center of our galaxy. It is believed that high energy gamma rays are generated in active galactic nuclei, but the highest energy particle ever seen was a proton, not a photon. The highest recorded photon energies are in the TeV range.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

What is the highest frequency photon ever seen, whether in nature or the lab? This is based on an earlier post of mine, but I think has merit as its own post. Since E=hf, there is no maximum freq or energy of a photon, it seems, on a max freq of a photon.

It seems that such high powered gamma rays could be generated near the supermassive black hole our hole galaxy orbits.

What is the highest freq photon that can be generated at the center of our galaxy?

But, since the center of our galaxy is 30,000 light years away, we wouldn't see such gamma rays because the probability of them hitting an atom in interstellar space is too high, and such gamma rays would pair produce. Is this reasoning correct?

Given the probability of hitting an interstellar atom (or a chain of them), what is the highest energy photon we could reasonably expect to detect on Earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the highest energy particle we have ever seen was the "oh my god particle", which had an energy of 3E20 eV, which would be a frequency of about 5E35 Hz. While it is not known for certain, it seems likely that these high energy gamma rays are generated in active galactic nuclei (AGN's). Our own galactic nucleus is probably to quiet to generate these particles.

But that particle is belived to have been a proton not a photon.

glappkaeft said:
But that particle is belived to have been a proton not a photon.

You're right. My mistake. I can't find a record of photon energies higher than the TeV energy photons PAllen referred to.

Related to World's record for highest freq photon ever seen, nature or lab?

What is the highest frequency photon ever seen in the world?

The highest frequency photon ever seen was recorded at 3.3 exahertz in a laboratory setting.

Has a higher frequency photon been observed in nature?

No, the highest frequency photon observed in nature was recorded at 1 exahertz.

What is the significance of observing such a high frequency photon?

Observing a high frequency photon allows scientists to study and better understand the fundamental properties of light and electromagnetic radiation.

How was the high frequency photon observed in the lab?

The high frequency photon was observed using advanced laser technology and specialized detectors.

Could a higher frequency photon ever be observed in the future?

It is possible that with advancements in technology, a higher frequency photon could be observed in the future. However, the theoretical limit for the highest frequency photon is the Planck frequency, which is unlikely to be reached in the near future.