Wormhole the Moon through the Earth

In summary, the idea is that Something Horrible 1A happens, then, 15-20 years later, Something Horrible 1B comes to finish us off. The comet scenario may be a more plausible option, as it would not involve Earth being completely destroyed.
dQniel
I'm working on a potential sci-fi story that takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth. The idea is Something Horrible 1A happens, then, 15-20 years later, Something Horrible 1B comes to finish us off. In a perfect world, the Moon is gone after 1A.

Initial possibilities included a long orbit double comet (first hits the moon, destroying both and partially wrecking Earth), then the twin comes around (follows-up) a couple decades later to hit Earth and finish the job.

Then I started wondering what would happen if a wormhole experiment on the Moon went awry, wormholed the Moon through Earth to the other side? Would the energy/radiation of the event wreck Earth enough for 1A? Basically, what would happen to Earth?

Then, would it make "more sense" (in this completely science fiction scenario) for the Moon to return 20 years later near enough to the Earth to crash into it, or to reappear immediately in a 2 decade slow degrading orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the comet scenario: comets are not large enough to destroy the moon. You need a minor planet - excuse me, dwarf planet. Were you able to destroy it, I doubt you could avoid total destruction of the surface biosphere of the Earth from the resultant debris. (It wouldn't take many of the remnants striking Earth to render it uninhabitable.)

Since your wormhole idea appears to be based more on the popular notion of wormholes and not on any of their scientific aspects then you could probably have its side effects be whatever you wish them to be. Is there a reason that you wish to use an astronomical source for your apocalypse? Why not jump on the global warming bandwagon and reach the tipping point where methane is released from the methane clathrates on the ocean floor: massive global flooding, destruction of ecologies, raging storms, intolerable temperatures and the end of test match cricket.

Likes CalcNerd

That sounds like a really interesting and unique concept for a sci-fi story! I think the idea of a double comet causing the initial destruction and then a wormhole experiment gone wrong causing further devastation is really intriguing.

As for what would happen to Earth in that scenario, it would definitely depend on the specifics of the wormhole event. If the Moon was wormholed through Earth, it would likely cause massive amounts of destruction and radiation as you mentioned. It could potentially cause a series of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions. The impact on the Earth's orbit and rotation could also have significant consequences.

In terms of the Moon returning 20 years later, I think it would make more sense for it to crash into Earth rather than reappear in a slow orbit. A slow orbit would give people more time to prepare and potentially find a way to divert the Moon's path, whereas a crash would be a more sudden and catastrophic event.

Overall, I think this idea has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see how you develop it in your story. Good luck with your writing!

1. How is it possible to "wormhole" the moon through the Earth?

The concept of "wormholes" or tunnels through space and time is still largely theoretical and has not been proven to exist. Therefore, it is not currently possible to "wormhole" the moon or any other object through the Earth.

2. Is there any scientific basis for the idea of "wormholing" the moon through the Earth?

The concept of wormholes is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which suggests that it may be possible to create shortcuts through space and time. However, this is still a highly theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist in reality.

3. What would be the potential consequences of "wormholing" the moon through the Earth?

The consequences of such an action are impossible to predict as the concept of "wormholes" is still purely theoretical. However, it is safe to assume that attempting to move a massive object like the moon through the Earth would have catastrophic consequences for both the Earth and the moon.

4. Could "wormholing" the moon through the Earth have any benefits?

Again, since the concept of "wormholes" is still theoretical, it is impossible to determine any potential benefits or drawbacks. However, it is unlikely that this action would have any practical or scientific benefits.

5. Is there any current research being done on "wormholes" and potentially "wormholing" objects through space and time?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and research being conducted on the concept of wormholes and their potential applications in space travel and understanding the universe. However, much more research and experimentation is needed before we can fully understand and utilize this concept.