Wormhole Trouble: Spacetime Folding Over Itself

• Thread starter Charlie G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormhole
In summary, the Universe was discussing the concept of a wormhole, and I found the images of it to be uncomfortable because of the way that spacetime folded over itself. I was wondering how we got the idea that spacetime folds over itself, and I never really imagined spacetime to do that.
Charlie G
I was watching the Universe and it was talking about the wormhole concept. I was uncomfortable with the images of a wormhole because the spacetime folded over itself, and I was wondering how we got the idea that spacetime folds over itself? I never really imagined spacetime to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charlie G said:
I was watching the Universe and it was talking about the wormhole concept. I was uncomfortable with the images of a wormhole because the spacetime folded over itself, and I was wondering how we got the idea that spacetime folds over itself? I never really imagined spacetime to do that.

Hi Charlie G! :smile:

If you mean the diagram like a U on its side, with a little tube connecting the top and bottom,

then that "fold" isn't physical … it's just a convenient way of trying to draw something that can't be drawn …

you should regard the curvy bit as if it was flat. :wink:

Thx for the reply. If I look at it as flat though then how does the wormhole connect to another area?

Charlie G said:
Thx for the reply. If I look at it as flat though then how does the wormhole connect to another area?

'cos it just does! :biggrin:

(the space in the picture, round the U, doesn't exist … the U is our universe, and it isn't "embedded" in some higher-dimensional space)

Charlie G said:
tiny-tim said:
'cos it just does! :biggrin:
(the space in the picture, round the U, doesn't exist … the U is our universe, and it isn't "embedded" in some higher-dimensional space)

.. or use a U shaped worm hole :-/

Thx for the help. I bought the episode cosmic holes on my xbox hoping to learn about balck hole stuff like event horizons and escape velocity, but all the show talked about was wormholes, I was pretty dissapointed in it.

Remember all diagrams and pictures are analogies. Some of the "folding over" is an attempt to project an analogy of the curved 3-dimensional subspace of a curved 4-dimensional space-time into the flat 2-d screen of a diagram.

Also we tend to think in terms of flat space and so more easily see curvature as occurring inside higher dimensions. For example We in 3-dim looking at the 2-dim curved surface of a sphere from afar find it much easier to conceptualize rather than imagining how walking in a "straight line" on the surface will lead us back where we started or triangles interior angles won't add up to 180deg.

But the extra dimensions is not necessary to describe the curvature mathematically nor is it conceptually necessary for the physics. It is just helpful since the mathematics is not simple nor easy to integrate into our intuition. Also diving ito the mathematical description would be unhelpful in programs on television aimed at the interested non-experts.

Related to Wormhole Trouble: Spacetime Folding Over Itself

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure in spacetime that connects two distant points. It is a shortcut that allows for faster travel between two points in the universe.

2. How does a wormhole work?

A wormhole works by bending the fabric of spacetime, essentially folding it over itself, to create a tunnel between two points. This tunnel allows for faster travel between two distant points in the universe.

3. Can humans travel through a wormhole?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that humans can travel through a wormhole. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations may have the technology to manipulate and travel through wormholes.

4. What are the potential dangers of traveling through a wormhole?

One potential danger of traveling through a wormhole is the possibility of being crushed by intense gravitational forces. There is also the risk of getting lost or trapped within the wormhole, as the destination may not be a stable or habitable location.

5. Is time travel possible through a wormhole?

Theoretically, time travel may be possible through a wormhole. However, there are many unknowns and paradoxes that may arise from time travel, making it a highly debated and complex topic within the scientific community.