Worth self studying physics over summer?

In summary: It'll help tremendously, usually on the second exposure to new material, everything I'll make much more sense.
nlsherrill
I'm taking Calc 1 and 2 this summer to try and catch up for the math needed in physics(which I am starting next year). I have an introductory calculus based mechanics book that's about 400 pages long, 12 chapters. Would it be worth trying to self teach myself some of this stuff before I take Univ Physics in the Fall? I have already taken algebra based physics 1 and 2, so I have some exposure to physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely! If you have the free time and it interests you, do it. It'll help tremendously, usually on the second exposure to new material, everything I'll make much more sense.

Ive self studied a number of things. All I can say is that unless your going into a class that is particularly hard, or that you currently don't have the pre-requisite for ... there really is no reason. Now unless you want to get ahead, like for instance get into research and such... its probably a good idea.

The one difference that I found with self study and a class is that a class will force you to be rigorous about your study habits, where one would not be so hard core in a self study situation.

If you want to learn the material, do the problems. If you do the problems, your self study will be just as effective as taking a class. If you plan on just reading the book without being active about the problems, don't bother ... your just wasting your time.

sol66 said:
Ive self studied a number of things. All I can say is that unless your going into a class that is particularly hard, or that you currently don't have the pre-requisite for ... there really is no reason. Now unless you want to get ahead, like for instance get into research and such... its probably a good idea.

The one difference that I found with self study and a class is that a class will force you to be rigorous about your study habits, where one would not be so hard core in a self study situation.

If you want to learn the material, do the problems. If you do the problems, your self study will be just as effective as taking a class. If you plan on just reading the book without being active about the problems, don't bother ... your just wasting your time.

Yes I agree with you here. This book Matter and Interactions has a lot of problems, and its 12 chapters long, and my summer is about 14-15 weeks long. I figured that if I worked at it about an hour a day, I could cover a chapter a week and be ahead of the game come fall.

Then you should be fine

definitely do it

1. Is it worth self-studying physics over the summer?

Yes, self-studying physics over the summer can be a great way to deepen your understanding of the subject and get ahead in your studies. It can also be a valuable experience for those planning to pursue a career in science or engineering.

2. How do I structure my self-study of physics over the summer?

The best way to structure your self-study of physics over the summer is to create a schedule and set specific goals for each week. Make sure to cover all the key topics and use a variety of resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems.

3. Can I self-study physics without any prior knowledge?

While having some background knowledge in math and science can be helpful, it is not necessary to successfully self-study physics over the summer. With dedication and a strong work ethic, anyone can learn the fundamentals of physics.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics over the summer?

One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or join an online study group to stay accountable and motivated.

5. What are the benefits of self-studying physics over the summer?

Self-studying physics over the summer can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as prepare you for advanced courses in physics. It can also give you a head start in your college studies and make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities in science and engineering fields.