1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Worth self studying physics over summer?

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    I'm taking Calc 1 and 2 this summer to try and catch up for the math needed in physics(which I am starting next year). I have an introductory calculus based mechanics book thats about 400 pages long, 12 chapters. Would it be worth trying to self teach myself some of this stuff before I take Univ Physics in the Fall? I have already taken algebra based physics 1 and 2, so I have some exposure to physics.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Definitely! If you have the free time and it interests you, do it. It'll help tremendously, usually on the second exposure to new material, everything I'll make much more sense.

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    Ive self studied a number of things. All I can say is that unless your going into a class that is particularly hard, or that you currently don't have the pre-requisite for ... there really is no reason. Now unless you want to get ahead, like for instance get into research and such... its probably a good idea.

The one difference that I found with self study and a class is that a class will force you to be rigorous about your study habits, where one would not be so hard core in a self study situation.

If you want to learn the material, do the problems. If you do the problems, your self study will be just as effective as taking a class. If you plan on just reading the book without being active about the problems, don't bother ... your just wasting your time.

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    Yes I agree with you here. This book Matter and Interactions has a lot of problems, and its 12 chapters long, and my summer is about 14-15 weeks long. I figured that if I worked at it about an hour a day, I could cover a chapter a week and be ahead of the game come fall.

6. May 5, 2010 #5
    Then you should be fine

7. May 5, 2010 #6
    definitely do it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook