1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wow, what am i doing wrong here?

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    Determine if the series converges absolutely, conditionally, or if it diverges. Give justifications for your answers.

(note: "E" is the sigma notation)

1. E from 1 to infinity of ln(n)/n3

Ok, i basically used the limit comparison test and pulled out a 1/n3. As we know by p-series, 1/n3 converges and now becomes our "bn."

So, using the LCT i get... limit going to infinity of an/bn = lim to infinity of [ln(n)/n3]/(1/n3) which results in the lim to infinity of ln(n) which = infinity. Because our limit is infinity it means that if bn diverges, an diverges as well. But in this case, bn converged! Any thoughts??

Because bn converged i thought the answer would be "converges conditionally" but i was marked points off because the answer is "converges absolutely."

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2
    I would just show that,

[tex]\log n < n \implies \frac{\log n}{n^3} < \frac{1}{n^2}.[/tex]

What do you know about the latter series?

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Coto, how does that prove the series converges absolutely? And why did you pull a 1/n^2 out instead of a 1/n^3

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4
    Hey IntegrateMe,

Well first off, what does it mean for a series to absolutely converge?

Second, what do you know about:

[tex]\sum_1 ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}.[/tex]

Does it converge?

Lastly,
    [tex]\log n < n \implies \frac{\log n}{n^3} < \frac{n}{n^3} = \frac{1}{n^2},[/tex]

and for [tex]n \geq 1, \log n \geq 0.[/tex]

Hopefully this leads you in the right direction.

6. Mar 11, 2010 #5
    Thanks Coto!

I was just trying to gain some intuition; you helped a lot and i understand convergence a lot better now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook