Determine the Convergence of E(ln(n)/n3) and Justify Your Answer

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
In summary, the series converges absolutely because the given series is less than the series 1/n^2 which is known to converge, and therefore, the given series must also converge. Additionally, the limit comparison test was used to show that the given series is less than 1/n^2, further supporting the conclusion that the series converges absolutely.
IntegrateMe
Determine if the series converges absolutely, conditionally, or if it diverges. Give justifications for your answers.

(note: "E" is the sigma notation)

1. E from 1 to infinity of ln(n)/n3

Ok, i basically used the limit comparison test and pulled out a 1/n3. As we know by p-series, 1/n3 converges and now becomes our "bn."

So, using the LCT i get... limit going to infinity of an/bn = lim to infinity of [ln(n)/n3]/(1/n3) which results in the lim to infinity of ln(n) which = infinity. Because our limit is infinity it means that if bn diverges, an diverges as well. But in this case, bn converged! Any thoughts??

Because bn converged i thought the answer would be "converges conditionally" but i was marked points off because the answer is "converges absolutely."

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegrateMe said:
Determine if the series converges absolutely, conditionally, or if it diverges. Give justifications for your answers.

(note: "E" is the sigma notation)

1. E from 1 to infinity of ln(n)/n3

Ok, i basically used the limit comparison test and pulled out a 1/n3. As we know by p-series, 1/n3 converges and now becomes our "bn."

So, using the LCT i get... limit going to infinity of an/bn = lim to infinity of [ln(n)/n3]/(1/n3) which results in the lim to infinity of ln(n) which = infinity. Because our limit is infinity it means that if bn diverges, an diverges as well. But in this case, bn converged! Any thoughts??

Because bn converged i thought the answer would be "converges conditionally" but i was marked points off because the answer is "converges absolutely."

I would just show that,

[tex]\log n < n \implies \frac{\log n}{n^3} < \frac{1}{n^2}.[/tex]

What do you know about the latter series?

Coto, how does that prove the series converges absolutely? And why did you pull a 1/n^2 out instead of a 1/n^3

Hey IntegrateMe,

Well first off, what does it mean for a series to absolutely converge?

Second, what do you know about:

[tex]\sum_1 ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}.[/tex]

Does it converge?

Lastly,
[tex]\log n < n \implies \frac{\log n}{n^3} < \frac{n}{n^3} = \frac{1}{n^2},[/tex]

and for [tex]n \geq 1, \log n \geq 0.[/tex]

Hopefully this leads you in the right direction.

Thanks Coto!

I was just trying to gain some intuition; you helped a lot and i understand convergence a lot better now.

FAQ: Determine the Convergence of E(ln(n)/n3) and Justify Your Answer

1. What is the formula for determining the convergence of a series?

The formula for determining the convergence of a series is: lim n→∞ an = 0. This means that as n approaches infinity, the terms of the series must approach 0 in order for the series to converge.

2. How do I apply the formula to determine the convergence of E(ln(n)/n3)?

To apply the formula, we must first find the limit of the given series. In this case, we can use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit. The limit is equal to 0, which means that the series converges.

3. What is L'Hopital's rule and how is it used in this case?

L'Hopital's rule states that for a function f(x) and g(x), if the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞, then the limit is equal to the limit of the derivative of f(x) divided by the derivative of g(x). In this case, we can use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of E(ln(n)/n3) as n approaches infinity.

4. Can you provide a visual representation of the convergence of this series?

Yes, a visual representation can be a graph of the function E(ln(n)/n3). As n approaches infinity, the graph will approach the x-axis, indicating that the series is converging towards 0.

5. How does the natural logarithm in the series affect its convergence?

The natural logarithm in the series does not affect its convergence. The important factor is the power of n in the denominator, which is n3. This term will dominate the series as n approaches infinity, making the series converge towards 0.