1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write a working matlab function

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write a working Matlab function that takes as input a positive integer n and outputs a
    2n by 2n matrix whose top left n by n block and bottom right n by n block are zero,
    whose top right n by n block is the n by n identity matrix and whose bottom left n by n
    block is filled with uniform [0,1] random numbers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    function MatrixMul
    n = input('Please enter a positive integer: ');
    A(2*n,2*n)=0;
    rand(n,n);
    eye(n)
    display(A)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's a start, but it's nowhere near what you want. Your function needs to create four nxn matrices of specific types, and then concatenate (join) them together to create the 2n x 2n matrix specified in your problem. To learn about matrices, see the section titled Working with Matrices in Ch. 2 in the link below. Also see the section titled Concatenation in Ch. 2 in the link below.

Here's a link to the Getting Started documentation for matlab: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/pdf_doc/matlab/getstart.pdf

Comments on your code
    A(2*n,2*n) = 0;
    Sets one entry in matrix A to 0 and does nothing to any of the other entries. I'm sure that's not what you intended.

rand(n, n);
    I believe this will create an nxn matrix of random numbers, but it needs to be an assignment statement to store them in a matrix variable. Here's how to do that.
    Random_matrix = rand(n, n);

eye(n)
    As above, this statement doesn't store the matrix variable anywhere. You can do it this way.
    I_matrix = eye(n);

Now all you have to do is concatenete the n x n matrices that have created into the big 2n x 2n matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook