Write the expression for the infinitesimal radial inertal force dfr look at pic

In summary, the expression for the infinitesimal radial inertial force dfr is found by considering the non-uniform rigid disc with variable density, represented by the angle θ and radial coordinate r. The infinitesimal element of the disc has mass dm and is subjected to the infinitesimal radial inertial force dFr and the infinitesimal tangential inertial force dFθ. The volume element is determined by integrating over the height and width, taking into account the arc length at radius r.
Jac8897
Write the expression for the infinitesimal radial inertal force dfr "look at pic"

Consider the non-uniform rigid disc of Figure 1. The density of the material is variable and depends
on the radial position: p = p (r). Its analytical expression is
p=po+p(1)
and where Po and P(1) are known and constants. Note that the density changes only with the radial coordinate:
for a given r changing θ does not affect the density. It should he observed that equation 1 implies that at
the center of the disk (r = O) the density presents its minimum value (p = Po) and for r = R the density
reaches the maximum value (p = po + P1 R)
The radius of the disc is R and its uniform thickness is h. The generalized coordinate is represented by
the angle θ (see Figure 1). The disc can only rotate with respect to G and the translation is not allowed. The
effects of the gravitational forces are not considered (the disc is supposed to rotate in a horizontal plane).
The angular acceleration dθ and the angular velocity d^2θ are supposed to be non-zero quantities. The generic infinitesimal element of disc is identified by the radial coordinate r (note that 0<r< R) and angular
position θ (note that O<θ< 2∏). The infinitesimal element of disc has mass dm and is subjected to the
infinitesimal radial inertial force dFr and the infinitesimal tangential inertial force dFθ

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma >>> df(r)=dm*a(r)
a(r)= r"-r(θ')^2
dm=dr*dθ*h*d(rho)
∴ dfr=(-r(θ')^2)(dm)

is this correct based on the question, my English is not so good so I am not sure if i am answering what the problem is asking.
Also on the dm part I understand that infinitesimal is just a tiny piece of the disk so to find the mass i would need a change in radius a change in angle since the high states constant i leave h but since the mass changes i do d(rho)/dr since it changes with the radius but if i put it in my dm equation i would get something like this

dm=dr*dθ*h*d(rho)/dr >>>> dm=dθ*h*d(rho) ? is this right?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

dm=dr*dθ*h*d(rho)

##d\rho## ?

if you have ##\rho(r)## then ##dm = \rho(r)dV## (density times volume right?)
the volume element has height ##h##, length ##dr##, and width ##r.d\theta## so ##dV = h.r.dr.d\theta##

hmm yes i get most of your explanation but where I am confuse is, since the density changes with the radius i thought the way to write the infinitesimal part

dm=dρ*dV where dp implies that there is an infinitesimal change in density too
dV=h.r.dr.dθ

or should i write it your way

dm=ρ(r)dV Where it says that ρ is a function of the radius?
dV=h.r.dr.dθ

thank you

dm=dρ*dV where dp implies that there is an infinitesimal change in density too
But there isn't one ... dm is the amount of mass in a volume element so small that the density is a constant inside it. One of the consequences of what "infinitesimal" means.

Your are constructing the integral by noting that at position (r,θ) there is an infinitesimal volume dV which contains a mass dm ... the same position has a volume mass-density of ρ(r,θ) (which you are given).

The other thing you needed to look at is how you worked out the volume element ... the arc length at radius r width dθ is rdθ.

There is a lot of freedom in constructing these ... you could decide to divide the disk into rings radius r and thickness dr ... then dV=2πr.dr ... or you could decide to integrate over the height as well, so dV=r.dr.dθ.dz ... and z is integrated from 0 to h. The choice is about how much of a shortcut you want to take at the start... often dictated by the geometry - for instance, in this case you probably wouldn't divide the disk into infinitesimal wedges (dV=R2h.dθ/2) since the density varies with radius, but if the density was a function of θ then that would make sense.

Your approach is on the right track. Here are a few corrections and suggestions:

- In the first equation, it should be dfr instead of df(r) to represent the infinitesimal radial inertial force.
- The expression for acceleration should be a(r) = r'' - r(θ')^2, where r'' represents the second derivative of r with respect to time.
- The infinitesimal mass element should be dm = r*dθ*h*d(rho), since the mass density is a function of the radial position r.
- The expression for the infinitesimal radial inertial force should then be dfr = (-r(θ')^2) * (dm) = (-r(θ')^2) * (r*dθ*h*d(rho)), which can be simplified to dfr = -r(θ')^2 * r * dθ * h * d(rho).
- Note that d(rho)/dr is not needed in the final expression, as it is already accounted for in the infinitesimal mass element.

1. What is the infinitesimal radial inertial force?

The infinitesimal radial inertial force (dfr) is a small force that acts in the radial direction on a body due to its inertia, or resistance to change in motion. It is a vector quantity and is represented by the symbol dfr.

2. How is the expression for dfr calculated?

The expression for dfr is calculated using the formula dfr = mrω², where m is the mass of the body, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity of the body.

3. What does the "look at pic" part of the question mean?

The "look at pic" part of the question refers to a visual representation, such as a diagram or graph, that may assist in understanding the concept of infinitesimal radial inertial force and its expression.

4. What are the units of dfr?

The units of dfr are newtons (N), as it is a force. This means that the expression for dfr will have units of mass (kg) times distance (m) divided by time squared (s²).

5. In what situations is the expression for dfr useful?

The expression for dfr is useful in situations involving rotational motion, such as a spinning object or a body moving in a circular path. It helps to determine the magnitude and direction of the infinitesimal radial inertial force acting on the body.