Writing f(x) format of equations

In summary, to write an equation in f(x) form, you need to isolate y on one side of the equation and everything else (that does not contain y) on the other side. However, this can only be done if the graph is a function (passes the vertical line test). The first example, x=1; {3<y<6}, is not a function and therefore cannot be written in f(x) form, while the second example, (x-3)2 + (y-9)2 = .25, can be written as f(x) = \frac{.25-(x-3)2}{2} + 9.
dogtrainer

Homework Statement

How do you write the following in f(x) form? x =1; {3<y<6}
and (x – 3)2 + (y – 9)2 = .25

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had to use these equations in a project that I am graphing and I must also include the f(x) form and I am lost. Can you please help? My project is due tomorrow? I have 6 other equations to put in the f(x) format, but I figured if I could get help on these two I should be able to figure out the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing it in f(x) form is (for the sake of simplicity) essentially solving for y (i.e. isolating y so that it is on one side of the '=' sign and everything else that DOES NOT CONTAIN y is on the other side of the '=' sign. For example:

[tex](x - 3)2 + (y - 9)2 = .25 \implies y = \frac{.25-(x-3)2}{2} + 9
\implies f(x) = \frac{.25-(x-3)2}{2} + 9 [/tex]

Generally speaking, one can only obtain the form "[tex]f(x) = \dotsm[/tex]" if the graph is a function (passes the vertical line test). The problem with your first example: [tex] x=1; \{ 3 < y < 6\}[/tex] is that the graph is not a function (it's a vertical line segment).

1. What is the purpose of writing equations in f(x) format?

The f(x) format is a way to represent a function, where x is the independent variable and f(x) is the dependent variable. This format allows for a clear understanding of how the dependent variable changes with respect to the independent variable.

2. How do I write an equation in f(x) format?

To write an equation in f(x) format, simply replace the y variable with f(x). For example, the equation y = 3x + 2 would be written as f(x) = 3x + 2.

3. Can an equation be written in both f(x) format and standard form?

Yes, an equation can be written in both f(x) format and standard form. The f(x) format is just another way to represent a function and does not change the equation itself.

4. What is the benefit of using f(x) format over standard form?

The f(x) format can be helpful in graphing and analyzing functions, as it clearly shows the relationship between the independent and dependent variables. It also allows for easy substitution and evaluation of the function.

5. Are there any restrictions on the types of equations that can be written in f(x) format?

No, there are no restrictions on the types of equations that can be written in f(x) format. Any equation that can be written in standard form can also be written in f(x) format.