1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing Nodal Equations for a Thermal System

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    So I have to write out nodal equations for a system that I was given, and I started off by drawing out the flow diagram to see where everything was. I'm having trouble starting the nodal equations though.

The attachment has 2 diagrams: figure 1 is the correct diagram that models the thermal system, and figure 2 is what I drew out to try and write the nodal equations.

I started off at Q1

Q1= (P5-P4)+(P4-P1)+(P1-P5)=0

is this on the right track for a nodal equation? If anyone can explain how to write them or tell me if I'm at least on the right track that would help me so much. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see no reason to treat the several nodes as anything but temperatures. That's what they are. So why you choose to draw your diagram with P's instead of T's is a mystery.

Write the nodal equations just as you would if they were voltages and currents instead of temperatures and heat flows, if you're familiar with that. Irrespective, I trust you know that dQ/dt = ΔT/R where R is thermal resistance, and dQ/dt = CdT/dt where C is heat capacity.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Sorry I was going off of my professors notes for a different system and he used P.

Would this be correct if I was looking at specifically at the node Ti?

0=-1/R1(Ti-T1)-1/R5(Ti-To)-Ci(Q(t)-Ti)

What I understood from nodal analysis is that you start at one node and look at what's going in and out at that point, and for the equation above, I wrote it assuming everything leaving the node is negative and everything entering is positive. Am I at least on the right track with this?

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to appreciate what the quantities are. For example, you can't write Ci(Q(t) - Ti) at all. Why? Because Q and T have different dimensions. T has dimension of temperature and Q has dimension of energy. So that's a very fundamental no-no.

You're writing equations about heat rate of flow, dQ/dt, as I said last post. I.e. net heat flow into a node = rate of change of heat at that node. In your case the only source of heat flow into Ti is dQ/dt. So rewrite your equations using the correct terms, with consistent dimensions, showing the heat flow terms due to the thermal resistances, plus the buildup-of-temperature term, plus any sources of heat flow (in your case just the one going into Ti). Note that node To has no C arrow into it so there will be no dT/dt term for that node. (In physics we say that node To has zero heat capacity).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook