Greek Letters Different from Textbook: Exploring the Discrepancy

• Thread starter glassslippers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, your professor is demanding that you use an alternate form of the sigma symbol, even though it may not be the most commonly seen version, because it is important that you use the correct form if you want to avoid social exclusion later in your career.
glassslippers
Hi,
So my PChem professor writes lowercase sigma similar to a number 6 with a curl on the top...(picture attached) To me this looks nothing like the sigma used in my textbook, computer or anywhere online I can find (similar to an o with a horizontal line on top). He insists we use his version of the figure because when we go to grad school we will be "looked down on" if we don't use proper Greek figures. I have no problem with his figure, if it is the correct one. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
00sigma.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
That's no sigma.

Maybe your professor has the palsy in his hand.

Last edited:
Likes Medicol
Yes, I think that 's right (sigma σ), his tip was just upped and curved too much.

I can see how a sigma ended up like that but I would never guessed it to be a sigma had I not read your post.

Unfortunately, bullying and social exclusion due to imperfectly written greek letters is a common problem in grad school. So, while it shouldn't be necessary, I recommend you do as your professor tells you and write the sigmas properly so you won't be singled out.

Looks like a (funky) delta to me.
glassslippers said:
He insists we use his version of the figure because when we go to grad school we will be "looked down on" if we don't use proper Greek figures.
Okay, I can understand catching some flak for using unconventional notations/symbols. But if he is earnestly suggesting that his specific style is what you should use, I'm honestly quite skeptical.

1. What is the significance of Greek letters in science?

Greek letters are commonly used in science to represent mathematical equations, physical quantities, and scientific concepts. They are often used as shorthand symbols to make complex equations and formulas more concise and easier to read.

2. Why are Greek letters sometimes different from what is shown in textbooks?

Greek letters can have multiple variants and styles, depending on the context and font used. This can lead to discrepancies between the Greek letters shown in textbooks and those used in scientific research or publications. Additionally, some scientific fields may have their own conventions for certain Greek letters.

3. How can I ensure I am using the correct Greek letter in my scientific work?

It is important to consult the style guide or conventions of your specific scientific field to determine the correct usage of Greek letters. Additionally, using the appropriate font and ensuring it is properly formatted can also help in using the correct Greek letters.

4. Are there any common mistakes when using Greek letters in scientific work?

Yes, some common mistakes include using the wrong variant or style of a Greek letter, using the incorrect symbol for a specific concept, and not properly formatting the Greek letter in accordance with the appropriate style guide. It is important to double check and proofread your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can I use Greek letters outside of scientific work?

Yes, Greek letters are also commonly used in other fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science. They can also be used in everyday life, such as in fraternity or sorority names, or as symbols in branding or logos.