Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing sigma

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    So my PChem professor writes lowercase sigma similar to a number 6 with a curl on the top...(picture attached) To me this looks nothing like the sigma used in my textbook, computer or anywhere online I can find (similar to an o with a horizontal line on top). He insists we use his version of the figure because when we go to grad school we will be "looked down on" if we don't use proper Greek figures. I have no problem with his figure, if it is the correct one. Can anyone explain the discrepancy? 00sigma.PNG

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

That's no sigma.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe your professor has the palsy in his hand.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    Yes, I think that 's right (sigma σ), his tip was just upped and curved too much.

7. Sep 22, 2014 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

I can see how a sigma ended up like that but I would never guessed it to be a sigma had I not read your post.

8. Sep 22, 2014 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

9. Sep 22, 2014 #8
    Unfortunately, bullying and social exclusion due to imperfectly written greek letters is a common problem in grad school. So, while it shouldn't be necessary, I recommend you do as your professor tells you and write the sigmas properly so you won't be singled out.

10. Sep 24, 2014 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

Looks like a (funky) delta to me.
    Okay, I can understand catching some flak for using unconventional notations/symbols. But if he is earnestly suggesting that his specific style is what you should use, I'm honestly quite skeptical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook