1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrong answer in textbook

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Problem about a collision) (...). What then is their velocity in (a) unit-vector notation and as (b) magnitude and (c) angle.

I will not post the problem due to copyright issues and that it is absolutely pointless now.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to solve (a) and (b).
    However, my answer for (c) differs from that of the textbook.
    [tex]\text{a)} \;(2.67 \;\text{m/s})\hat{i}+(-3.00 \;\text{m/s})\hat{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\text{b)} \;4.01 \;\text{m/s}[/tex]
    [tex]\text{c)} \;\theta{} = \tan^{-1}\left(-\frac{3.00}{2.67}\right)=-0.845397=-48.4^{\circ{}}[/tex]

While the book provides +48.4° as the angle.

Am I correct? You can solve (c) from (a) and (b) [my answers are identical to those of the book].

It is from Fundamentals of Physics (Extended) - 9th ed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2
    Well, without thinking too much about it, the vector given in (a) is in the fourth quadrant. The angle 48.4° is in the first quadrant. Your answer, however, is definitely in the fourth quadrant.

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct. The text should not have stated the answer as simply 48.4o.
    If they had stated it as 48.4o below the positive x direction, then that would have been a good answer. But they didn't.

5. Jun 18, 2014 #4
    Yes, that's what I thought. I was pretty sure I was right, but as this book has presented very few mistakes already I thought I could be missing something.

Thank you guys for looking at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted