Wrong Answer in Textbook for Collision Velocity Calculation

• Thread starter mafagafo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, there was a problem about a collision and the conversation revolved around finding the velocity in unit-vector notation and as magnitude and angle. The poster was able to solve (a) and (b) but their answer for (c) differed from the textbook. The poster provided their answer as well as the textbook's answer and asked for confirmation. The expert agreed that the poster's answer was correct and pointed out that the textbook should have stated the angle as being below the positive x direction. The poster thanked the expert for their help.
mafagafo

Homework Statement

(Problem about a collision) (...). What then is their velocity in (a) unit-vector notation and as (b) magnitude and (c) angle.

I will not post the problem due to copyright issues and that it is absolutely pointless now.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve (a) and (b).
However, my answer for (c) differs from that of the textbook.
[tex]\text{a)} \;(2.67 \;\text{m/s})\hat{i}+(-3.00 \;\text{m/s})\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex]\text{b)} \;4.01 \;\text{m/s}[/tex]
[tex]\text{c)} \;\theta{} = \tan^{-1}\left(-\frac{3.00}{2.67}\right)=-0.845397=-48.4^{\circ{}}[/tex]

While the book provides +48.4° as the angle.

Am I correct? You can solve (c) from (a) and (b) [my answers are identical to those of the book].

It is from Fundamentals of Physics (Extended) - 9th ed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, without thinking too much about it, the vector given in (a) is in the fourth quadrant. The angle 48.4° is in the first quadrant. Your answer, however, is definitely in the fourth quadrant.

You are correct. The text should not have stated the answer as simply 48.4o.
If they had stated it as 48.4o below the positive x direction, then that would have been a good answer. But they didn't.

Yes, that's what I thought. I was pretty sure I was right, but as this book has presented very few mistakes already I thought I could be missing something.

Thank you guys for looking at it.

by Halliday et al.I would first like to commend you for checking and verifying your answers instead of blindly accepting the textbook's answer. This is an important practice in science and shows critical thinking skills.

Based on your calculations, it seems like your answer for (c) is correct. The angle should be calculated using the inverse tangent function, which gives a negative value in this case. The textbook's answer of +48.4° is incorrect and should be -48.4°.

I would suggest bringing this discrepancy to your teacher's attention so that they can address it in class and make sure all students have the correct information. As scientists, it is important for us to always question and verify information, especially in textbooks which are meant to be reliable sources of information.

In the future, if you come across any other discrepancies or incorrect information in textbooks, it is important to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor so that they can address it and provide the correct information to all students. This will help ensure that everyone has the correct understanding of the subject matter.

1. What should I do if I encounter a wrong answer in my textbook?

If you come across a wrong answer in your textbook, it is important to first verify that it is indeed incorrect. You can do this by double-checking the question and answer, consulting with your teacher or professor, or doing further research on the topic. Once you have confirmed that the answer is incorrect, it is best to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor so they can address it with the class.

2. How common are wrong answers in textbooks?

While it may vary depending on the subject and textbook, wrong answers in textbooks are not uncommon. Textbooks go through multiple levels of editing and review, but errors can still occur. It is important to always critically evaluate the information presented in your textbooks.

3. Can a wrong answer in a textbook impact my grades?

If you have received a wrong answer in a textbook and it has affected your grades, it is important to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. They may be able to provide you with additional points or make adjustments to your grade, depending on the specific situation.

4. How can I prevent relying on wrong answers in textbooks?

To prevent relying on wrong answers in textbooks, it is important to use multiple sources for information and to always question and critically evaluate the information presented. Additionally, consulting with your teacher or professor and participating in class discussions can help you identify and address any discrepancies in the textbook.

5. Can a wrong answer in a textbook impact my understanding of the subject?

While a wrong answer in a textbook may cause confusion or frustration, it is important to remember that it does not necessarily mean that your understanding of the subject is incorrect. If you come across a wrong answer, it is an opportunity to practice critical thinking and further your understanding by researching and discussing the topic with your teacher or classmates.