Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wrong answer on Differentiation

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In polar coords: y = rsin([tex]\theta[/tex])
    y' = dy/dt = r'sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) + rcos([tex]\theta[/tex]) [tex]\theta[/tex]'

If I want [tex]\partial r' / \partial y' [/tex] can I just solve for r' and take the derivative of y'?

so

[tex]\partial r' / \partial y' = 1 / sin \theta[/tex]

I am hoping this is incorrect because I am getting the wrong answer on another part of a problem...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Differentiation

Starting with y = r sin([itex]\theta[/itex]),
    [itex]\partial y/\partial r = \partial (r sin(\theta)) = sin(\theta)[/itex]

So [itex]\partial r/\partial y = 1/sin(\theta)[/itex]

Why do you have the primes on your partial derivative? I'm pretty sure that's an oversight on your part.

If you're trying to calculate dy/dt, and y is a function of both r and [itex]\theta[/itex], and r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are functions of t alone, then
    dy/dt = [itex]\partial y/\partial r * dr/dt + \partial y/\partial \theta * d \theta/dt [/itex]

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    Re: Differentiation

Thanks for your reply,

The primes actually are indicating time derivatives, let me expand upon my question

I'm actually trying to do the following

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial y'} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial y'} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} \frac{\partial \theta}{ \partial y'}+ \frac{\partial L }{\partial r'} \frac{\partial r'}{\partial y'} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta '} \frac{\partial \theta '}{\partial \y '}[/tex]

I am having a hard time find the various partial derivs with respect to y' (or maybe I'm not).

L is actually L = T-U where T = KE = 1/2 m (x'^2 + y'^2) and U doesn't matter in this case
    so in other words, y' and x' are the velocities in y and x.

where of course
    x = rcos(theta)
    y = rsin(theta)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook