X-radiation inverse square law

In summary: Ok, sorry if I came across as impatient. I understand inverse square law, but I need a little more explanation. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by (6/2)2?
nonphysical
1. If the radiationlevel is 400mGy/hr at 2m from a point radiation source, what will be the radiation level at 6m

2. I figured that if the radiation was 400mGy/hr at 2m it have been 1600mGy/hr when emmitted from the sorce.

3. If the inverse square law works like at 2m from the source it covers an area of 4m2 and at 3m it covers an area of 9m2 i figured that at 6m it covers anarea of 36m2 so the radiation would be less by the same proportion?

Physics news on Phys.org
nonphysical said:
1. If the radiationlevel is 400mGy/hr at 2m from a point radiation source, what will be the radiation level at 6m

2. I figured that if the radiation was 400mGy/hr at 2m it have been 1600mGy/hr when emmitted from the sorce.

3. If the inverse square law works like at 2m from the source it covers an area of 4m2 and at 3m it covers an area of 9m2 i figured that at 6m it covers anarea of 36m2 so the radiation would be less by the same proportion?

Hi,

Do you want to determine the radiation level 6 m from the source ? If yes, then you no need to find the source strength (just to avoid confusion with units!).
May I know how did you get the source strength as 1600 mGy/hr?
Any why don't you take pi (=3.14) value in your computation for finding the source strength?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply
Yes i want to know the radiation level at 6m
The only thing i know is the level is 400mGy/hr at 2m from a point radiation source.
I do not know how to calculatate the rest.
I thought 400mGy/hr at 2m might be a quarter of the original strength??

hi nonphysical! :wink:
nonphysical said:

i'm sorry, this is nonsense …

and anyway you don't need to find the source strength

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

as Rajini points out, the surface area of a sphere is 4πr2, not r2

but the important point is the ratio

all you need say is, if you double the radius, you quadruple the area, so if you triple the radius (3 = 6/2), then … ? :smile:

nonphysical said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply
Yes i want to know the radiation level at 6m
Okay 6 m away from source
The only thing i know is the level is 400mGy/hr at 2m from a point radiation source.
this is already given !
I do not know how to calculatate the rest.
I thought 400mGy/hr at 2m might be a quarter of the original strength??
No!
Apply inverse square law first to 2 m distance. From this you get the source strength. You no need to compute and get numerical value..just substitute in the inverse square formula with their units. Then for 6 m distance again using inverse square law substitute for source strength that you obtained for 2 m and get your answer in mG/hr.

Thanks Tiny-Tim,
i think I'm getting closer
400mGy/hr at 2 meters should still be 400mGy/hr at 6m?
then 400mGy/hr divided by the square of the distance ie 6m
is that how it works?

hi nonphysical! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
nonphysical said:

you're still thinking of mGy/hr as a measure of the source (the "original strength") …

it isn't, it's only a measure of the intensity at the receiver :wink:
is that how it works?

not exactly …

you have to divide by the ratio of the squares of the distances.

ie not by 62, but by (6/2)2 :smile:

(btw, the "original strength" would be the intensity at distance r times 4πr2

that is a constant for any value of r :wink:)​

nonphysical said:
Thanks Tiny-Tim,
i think I'm getting closer
is that how it works?

can you write the inverse square law formula?

Thanks again Tiny-Tim/Rajani
Firstly Rajani, no I'm lost i cannot write the inverse square law formula.

Secondly, Tiny-Tim again I'm lost in the meaning of (6/2)2
if you could put it more simply maybe i could grasp it and go from there.

Thanks again

nonphysical said:
Thanks again Tiny-Tim/Rajani
Firstly Rajani, no I'm lost i cannot write the inverse square law formula.

Why you are not showing any interest in finding the formula? If you have access to internet you can easily google with 'inverse square law'..In fact tim already gave good ints for you and please understand what a inverse square law means.
see this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law
In that link look into the first example, which starts as: 'Let the total power radiated from a point source...'
read it and use that formula to obtain source strength using 2 m, and then substitute the source strength into the same formula to derive for 6 m.

rajini,
I've googled the inverse square law prior to asking these questions, and if i fully understood it i would not be asking the question.
as i understand it so far the radiation strength at D1 is squared. ie 400mGy/hr @ 2m = 1600mGy/hr
Then the distance at D2 is squared ie 6m = 36
The result of the square of the strength at D1 (1600 mGy/hr) is divided by the square of D2
Example 400mGy/hr @ 2m = 1600mGy/hr divided by 36 = 44.44mGy/hr
I cannot write all the physics symbols, so i have to write in long hand.
Thanks again

Hi,
I guess your answer is correct.
How i usually derive:
For 2 m:
[tex]
400 mGy/hr=\frac{S}{4\pi(2m^2)}\rightarrow S=(400 mGy/hr) 4\pi(2 m)^2
[/tex]
For 6 m:
[tex]?mG/hr=\frac{S}{4\pi(6m^2)}[/tex]
Substitute 'S' from 1st equation into 2nd equation to obtain '?'. If you want to find the source strength take care of units!

Hi Rajani
Thanks for all of your help
May you have a very merry christmas and a healthy and prosperous 2011
cheers.

1. What is the X-radiation inverse square law?

The X-radiation inverse square law is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between the intensity of X-rays and the distance from the source of the radiation. It states that the intensity of X-rays is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

2. How does the inverse square law apply to X-radiation?

The inverse square law applies to X-radiation because X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation that follow the same principles as other types of radiation, such as light. This means that as the distance from the X-ray source increases, the intensity of the X-rays decreases according to the inverse square law.

3. Why is the inverse square law important in X-radiation safety?

The inverse square law is important in X-radiation safety because it helps to determine the appropriate distance between the X-ray source and the target area. By understanding the inverse square law, scientists and technicians can ensure that they are using the correct amount of radiation to achieve the desired results while minimizing potential harm to themselves and others.

4. How does the inverse square law affect X-ray images?

The inverse square law affects X-ray images in that it determines the contrast and sharpness of the image. As the distance from the X-ray source increases, the intensity of the X-rays decreases, resulting in a decrease in contrast and sharpness of the image. This is why it is important for X-ray technicians to understand and apply the inverse square law when positioning the X-ray equipment.

5. Are there any exceptions to the X-radiation inverse square law?

There are some exceptions to the X-radiation inverse square law, such as when the X-ray source is small or when the distance is very large. In these cases, other factors such as the size and shape of the X-ray beam may also affect the intensity of the X-rays. However, in most practical situations, the inverse square law is a reliable principle for understanding the behavior of X-radiation.