X-ray question - frequencies and energies

In summary, x-rays with higher frequency have higher ionizing power and penetrating power due to their increased energy, which causes them to hit air molecules more vigorously and travel longer. The lack of mass in gamma rays does not affect their ionizing power, which is determined by their charge and interaction probability. The speed of alpha and beta radiation can also increase their ionizing power and penetrating power.
Deathnote777
X-ray question -- frequencies and energies

Homework Statement

1. Why does x-ray with higher frequency possesses higher ionizing power and penetrating power ?
2. Will gamma ray with higher frequency possesses higher ionizing power and penetrating power ? And is "gamma ray has no mass" a reason accounting for its low ionizing power ?
3. Then for alpha and beta radiation, will they possesses higher ionizing power and penetrating power by increasing their speed ? Thank you.

Homework Equations

Nil

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Is it because energy of it increase ? So it can hit air molecules more vigorously and possesses higher KE and travel longer ?
2. I think mass should be one of the reasons just like that of alpha radiation. But my book says it is not. Only charge affect gamma 's ionizing power
3. I think yes ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. Is it because energy of it increase ? So it can hit air molecules more vigorously and possesses higher KE and travel longer ?
The first part is right, but the increased penetrating power is a different effect - the probability of an interaction goes down with increasing energy. This is a result of quantum mechanics, I don't know of any classical model to explain it.
And is "gamma ray has no mass" a reason accounting for its low ionizing power ?
I don't think this is a meaningful question. If a photon would have mass (in particular, enough to see it in gamma ray absorption), we would live in a completely different world.
Only charge affect gamma 's ionizing power
Charge in the absorber - the gamma rays (photons) have no charge.

3. I think yes ?
Right

Thank you

1. What is the difference between X-rays and other types of electromagnetic radiation?

X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation, similar to visible light, radio waves, and microwaves. The main difference between X-rays and other types of radiation is their energy and wavelength. X-rays have shorter wavelengths and higher energies than visible light, which allows them to pass through materials that visible light cannot.

2. How are X-rays produced?

X-rays are produced through a process called bremsstrahlung, where electrons are accelerated and decelerated by a metal target. This causes them to release energy in the form of X-rays.

3. What is the frequency range of X-rays?

The frequency range of X-rays is between 30 petahertz (3 x 10^16 Hz) and 30 exahertz (3 x 10^19 Hz). This corresponds to wavelengths between 10 nanometers and 10 picometers.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with X-ray exposure?

Exposure to high levels of X-rays can be harmful to living organisms, as they can damage cells and DNA. However, the amount of radiation used in medical X-rays is carefully controlled and generally considered safe. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit unnecessary exposure to X-rays.

5. How are X-rays used in medical imaging?

X-rays are commonly used in medical imaging to produce images of bones and internal organs. X-rays pass through soft tissues, but are absorbed by dense materials like bones. These differences in absorption are captured by a detector and translated into an image, allowing doctors to diagnose and treat medical conditions.