1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray question - frequencies and energies

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    X-ray question -- frequencies and energies

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Why does x-ray with higher frequency possess higher ionizing power and penetrating power ?
    2. Will gamma ray with higher frequency possess higher ionizing power and penetrating power ? And is "gamma ray has no mass" a reason accounting for its low ionizing power ?
    3. Then for alpha and beta radiation, will they possess higher ionizing power and penetrating power by increasing their speed ? Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

Nil

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Is it because energy of it increase ? So it can hit air molecules more vigorously and possess higher KE and travel longer ?
    2. I think mass should be one of the reasons just like that of alpha radiation. But my book says it is not. Only charge affect gamma 's ionizing power
    3. I think yes ?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: X-ray question -- frequencies and energies

The first part is right, but the increased penetrating power is a different effect - the probability of an interaction goes down with increasing energy. This is a result of quantum mechanics, I don't know of any classical model to explain it.
    I don't think this is a meaningful question. If a photon would have mass (in particular, enough to see it in gamma ray absorption), we would live in a completely different world.
    Charge in the absorber - the gamma rays (photons) have no charge.

Right

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Re: X-ray question -- frequencies and energies

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook