(x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) - What do the 'm' represent? (SR)

• Thread starter seasponges
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of coordinates in a special relativity assignment and the confusion regarding the units of these coordinates. It is clarified that the units are in meters and that the time coordinate is also represented in meters due to the speed of light being involved. This information is important to avoid misunderstandings and confusion for students.
seasponges
I'm currently completing a special relativity assignment, and whenever coordinates are referred to they're represented as (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) or (6m, 2m). There are no units given (other than the 'm', and I highly doubt they're using minutes for ct). If someone could clear this up for me I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
"m" as in Minkowski coordinates, perhaps?

ct has dimensions of length, btw.

Note that unless you work with the full 4-vector, it would be extremely easy for students to misunderstand the notation without the "m", falsely believing the time coordinate was a regular space coordinate.

Last edited:
M for meter perhaps, since these have the dimension of length.

Just to clarify, it is for "meters."

Spatial units are typically denoted in m, and I'm sure you've seen x represent a spatial coordinate.

ct is also meters, because c is the speed of light and c=3*108 meters/second [m/s] except it is multiplied by time. So you have a velocity (c) times time.
(meters/seconds)*seconds=meters because the seconds cancel.

Ha, it didn't occur to me ct was in meters (very new to SR). Thanks!

Related to (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) - What do the 'm' represent? (SR)

What do the 'm' represent?

The 'm' represents meters, which is a unit of measurement for distance in the metric system.

What is the meaning of (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m)?

This notation represents the coordinates of a point in a 2-dimensional space, where 'x1' represents the horizontal distance and 'ct1' represents the vertical distance, both measured in meters.

Why is (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) significant in the context of (SR)?

This notation is significant in the context of Special Relativity (SR) because it represents the position of an object in a moving frame of reference, where distance and time measurements are relative to the observer.

How is the concept of (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) related to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically Special Relativity, explains how measurements of distance and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference. The notation (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m) represents the coordinates of a point in a moving frame of reference, demonstrating the relativity of these measurements.

What other units can be used instead of meters in (x1, ct1) = (25m, 25m)?

Other units that can be used include centimeters, kilometers, or any other unit of distance in the metric system. Non-metric units, such as feet or miles, can also be used but would require conversion to the metric system for consistency.