Y=-3sin(2x) shifted new equation?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for a function, y=-3sin(2x), being shifted to the left by 30 degrees and up by 5 units. The correct equation should be y=-3sin[2(x+30)]+5 as this represents a shift to the left. The conversation also mentions that if c is negative in the equation y=Asin(k(x-c)+b), it will result in a shift to the left.
aisha
y=-3sin(2x) is shifted to the left by 30 degree units and up 5 units

My new equation looks like this I am not sure if I did it right

y=-3sin[2(x-30)]+5

what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Youre function is shifted to the right.

y=Asin(k(x-c)+b is shifted up b units, scaled vertically by A units, scaled horizontally by k units, and shifted to the right by c units. If c is negative then it is shifted to the left.

i want c to be negative because it says shift 30 degrees to the left, isn't this correct?

It is coerect and c must be negative but the formula itself has anothere - sing so they bouth together make a + and the expresion is then y=-3sin[2(x-(-30))]+5=-3sin[2(x+30))]+5

aisha said:
i want c to be negative because it says shift 30 degrees to the left, isn't this correct?
sorry, aisha, but your formula "y=-3sin[2(x-30)]+5" isn't correct.

I just entered "y = -3sin(2x)" and the other one in graphmatica and "y=-3sin[2(x-30)]+5" is definitely shifted to the right!

Edit: it shoulf be "y=-3sin[2(x+30)]+5"

What is the meaning of the equation Y=-3sin(2x) shifted new equation?

The equation Y=-3sin(2x) shifted new equation is a trigonometric function that represents a sinusoidal curve with a period of pi and an amplitude of 3. The negative sign in front of the function indicates that the curve is reflected across the x-axis.

How is the new equation Y=-3sin(2x) shifted compared to the original equation?

The new equation Y=-3sin(2x) shifted is shifted vertically downwards by 3 units compared to the original equation Y=sin(2x). This is because of the coefficient -3 in front of the function.

What is the period of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x)?

The period of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x) is still pi, which is the same as the period of the original equation Y=sin(2x). The period of a sine function is determined by the coefficient in front of the x, which in this case is 2.

How is the amplitude of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x) affected?

The amplitude of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x) is still 3, which is the same as the amplitude of the original equation Y=sin(2x). The amplitude of a sine function is determined by the coefficient in front of the function, which in this case is -3.

What is the phase shift of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x)?

The phase shift of the shifted equation Y=-3sin(2x) is 0, which means that the curve is not shifted horizontally compared to the original equation Y=sin(2x). This is because there is no term added or subtracted inside the function.