Understanding Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α: A Guide

• Thread starter albert2008
  • Start date
In summary, the equation is saying that output per worker (Y/L) is equal to capital per worker (K/L) times the efficiency of labor (E). The chapter is explaining the equation and explaining how the equation works.
albert2008
Dear People,
This is Production Function and it comes from my economics book. The equation is saying that output per worker (Y/L) is equal to capital per worker (K/L) times the efficiency of labor (E) where alpha is a parameter between zero and one. The chapter is explaining the equation. I don't understand the concept (math) of how the books gets to

(Y/L)1-α= (K/L)α (E)1-α
after it divides both sides by (Y/L)α

Thanks so much and I hope this makes sense

α=alpha (superscript)
1-α=1 minus alpha (superscript)

Y/L=(K/L)α (E)1-α

Rewrite K/L as (K/Y) times (Y/L)

Y/L=(K/Y)α (Y/L)α (E)1-α

Divide both sides by (Y/L)α

(Y/L)1-α= (K/L)α (E)1-α -->Please can someone help me
understand how you get (Y/L)1-α
I don’t understand the logic. Does it have to do with power rule?.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to provide more information. Just where does this come from? What are you trying to accomplish. We cannot read your mind, you need to provide some background information.

And please explain your notation. You say "Rewrite K/L as (K/Y) times (Y/L)" but then write it as " (K/Y, Y/L)". Do you mean just (K/Y)(Y/L)? Is "1- a" a subscript? I can see no reason for writing 1 if it just multiplying numbers. Finally, what power rule are you talking about? The only power rule I can think of is for differentiating and there is no differentiation here.

As the others have asked you to do, you have to explain what are you trying to show? What is the final answer you want to arrive at?

Following your working, all I can say is that dividing the equation by [tex]\frac{Y}{L} \alpha [/tex] gives [tex]\frac{1}{\alpha} = \frac{K}{Y} E (1-\alpha)[/tex].

L disappears because it gets divided by both sides. So that's clearly not what you want.

1. What is Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α and why is it important?

Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α is an equation that represents the relationship between output (Y), labor (L), capital (K), and the elasticity of substitution (α) in a production function. It is important because it helps us understand the productivity and efficiency of an economy, and how changes in labor and capital can affect output.

2. How is the elasticity of substitution (α) calculated in Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α?

The elasticity of substitution (α) is calculated by taking the negative of the slope of the isoquant curve (the curve that shows all combinations of labor and capital that produce the same level of output). This slope can be calculated using the formula α = -∆K/∆L.

3. What does the value of α indicate in the Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α equation?

The value of α indicates the degree of substitutability between labor and capital in the production process. A lower value of α indicates a higher degree of substitutability, meaning that labor and capital can be easily substituted for each other. A higher value of α indicates a lower degree of substitutability, meaning that labor and capital are not easily interchangeable.

4. How does the Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α equation relate to the Cobb-Douglas production function?

The Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α equation is a modified version of the Cobb-Douglas production function, which also represents the relationship between output, labor, and capital. The main difference is the inclusion of the elasticity of substitution (α) in the equation, which allows for a more flexible and realistic representation of production processes.

5. Can the Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α equation be used in all industries and economies?

Yes, the Y/L=K/Lα (E)1-α equation can be used in all industries and economies, as it is a general representation of the production process. However, the values of the variables (Y, L, K, and α) may vary depending on the specific industry or economy being studied. Additionally, this equation is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately reflect the complexities of all production processes.