Yet another Which Career/Major? thread.

• Programs
  • Thread starter bentrinh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which career or major to pursue, as they have a strong interest in problem solving and a background in computer engineering. They have struggled with algebra and chemistry, but excel in geometry and enjoy finding workarounds and "beating the system." They also have a passion for music and filmmaking, but do not see it as a viable career option. Suggestions are made to consider careers in engineering, computer science, or programming, as well as the importance of developing self-discipline and finding ways to visualize mathematical concepts.
bentrinh
Yet another "Which Career/Major?" thread.

Hi, recently I've realized that I really need to start exploring majors/careers soon. I figure everyone here would be knowledgeable in that. I'm not sure what kind of information is needed, but here's what I think is related. If you're too lazy too read, I'm pretty much a stereotypical ISTP.

I'm a junior in high school. When I was younger, I was set on becoming a electrical engineer, but then I realized that I'm horrible at things I can't see. Same applies to chemistry and algebra, if I can't see it, I have trouble reasoning with it. So I instead decided on becoming a aerospace engineer, but my weakness in algebra (factoring just kills me) is starting to bring about doubts to me. The only thing I find interesting in algebra are the word problems, but the usual crunching numbers thing bores me. Also, I can't factor if my GPA depended on it. Geometry was a different story, it was easy, and actually a bit fun. When something involving problem solving came by, I became really focused, thinking through things like it was a game of chess. Another observation on my learning is that I have to do something. Hearing a lecture does little to me, I have to sit down and try it.

Also, I'm pretty much the computer guru around where I live. My uncle is an electronics engineer, and for the first 5 years of my life, my family shared a house with my uncle's family. I spent much of my time as a child watching my uncle work. At this point, I can fix any computer easily, besting the IT techs are my school. Hardware's my strong point, but I haven't figured out command line heavy OS's like linux. I know some basic autohotkey and batch programming though, and it can follow it pretty logically.

Also, I love finding weaknesses in something and "beating the system". Aka, reading people, picking locks (my own), hacking (script-kiddie-ing, again my own stuff), and generally finding workarounds. I guess it goes back to the problem solving skill.

Also, I love playing music and filmmaking/photography, but I don't think that's going to get me any money.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Try, and you may develop!
An education in Engineering or Computer Science or Programming will require problem solving using geometrical figures and Algebra/Arithmetic using variables. You can neutralize lesser talent with the self-discipline of hard work. So much with Math and Science can be understood using visual representations, so you can find ways to "see", as you want to be able to do. Eventually, some of what you will see can be in the form of symbols.

I can understand your struggle in trying to figure out which career path to pursue. It can be overwhelming and confusing, especially when you have multiple interests and strengths. It's great that you have identified your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your interests in problem-solving and hands-on learning.

One potential career path that combines your strengths and interests is computer engineering or computer science. These fields involve a mix of hardware and software, and often require problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach. You can also explore different specializations within these fields, such as cybersecurity or robotics, to find what interests you the most.

Another option could be to explore industrial design, which involves designing and creating products and systems that are functional and aesthetically pleasing. This field also requires problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach, and could potentially incorporate your interests in music and filmmaking/photography.

Ultimately, the best way to figure out which career path to pursue is to gain experience through internships, job shadowing, or talking to professionals in the fields you are interested in. This will give you a better understanding of the day-to-day work and help you make an informed decision. Good luck!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career or major?

Some factors to consider include your interests, strengths, career goals, job market outlook, and potential salary.

2. How can I determine which career or major is right for me?

You can determine this by researching different fields, taking career assessments, shadowing professionals, and gaining hands-on experience through internships or part-time jobs.

3. Is it okay to change my career or major later on?

Yes, it is common for people to change their career or major as their interests and goals evolve. It's important to regularly reflect on your choices and make changes if necessary.

4. How can I balance my interests with practicality when choosing a career or major?

One way to do this is to look for careers or majors that align with your interests but also have a strong job market and/or potential for growth. You can also consider double majoring or minoring in a field that is more practical.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a career or major?

There are many resources available, such as career centers, academic advisors, online career assessment tools, and informational interviews with professionals in different fields. It's also a good idea to talk to friends, family, and mentors for their insights and advice.