Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You know you've been writing essays for too long when

1. May 17, 2007 #1

Gold Member

Rather than waste precious time going to the shop, you endeavor to use up anything and everything left in your cupboards and fridge. (This week I have eaten mainly toast and raw carrots.)

You actually have a hard time thinking how you will spend your days after work is completed. (I did actually catch myself thinking "What will i occupy myself with if not geophysics?")

You stop to think "how's my word-count coming along?" when writing replies on internet forums. (No really, i did do this.)

What strange habits/thought processes have you guys found yourself adopting when up to your necks in work for long periods?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Mostly, I try to be brief as much as possible. Then there is the worry that I have omitted a critical piece of information or salient point.

I try to think of different ways to say the same thing - along the lines of The (behavior of the dependent variable(s)) in Figure ## shows/reveals/indicates . . . .

Creative technical writing. :zzz:

I prefer definitive statements to weasel words.
  4. May 17, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's pretty cool...

only three words. I must be slipping.

Ah, there we go
  5. May 17, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whenever I finish a big job or project that buries me for weeks or months - this was true in college as well - and even though I am glad to be done, there is always a big let-down and about a day or two of depression.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?