Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the detailed calculation for a two slits experiment with an excited atom. The person mentions finding formulas for when the atom decays near the slits, but asks for links for more information. The other person mentions having details for electrons with a source of photons between the slits and detectors, and highlights the importance of providing a precise description for a sensible answer. The first person then shares a link to a paper they found and asks if it is possible to assign a density matrix to the state of the unstable atom in this example.
PaleMoon
i would like to find the detailed calculation in the case of a two slits experiment with an excited atom.
i only found the formulas when it decays near the slits.
have you links?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i have the details for electrons with a source of photons in the middle behind the slits and detectors near them. here the interaction is near the slits.

I've no clue how precisely your set up looks like. Without a minimum description with some precision, it's impossible to answer any question in a sensible way.

i come back to this paper.
is it possible in this example to assign a density matrix to the state of this unstable atom?
thanks

1. What is the Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms?

The Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms is a variation of the classic double slit experiment, where instead of using light, excited atoms are used as the source of particles. The experiment demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter, showing that even particles like atoms can exhibit interference patterns like waves.

2. How is the Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms set up?

The experiment involves a source of excited atoms, a barrier with two slits, and a screen to capture the resulting interference pattern. The excited atoms are sent through the slits and then spread out, creating an interference pattern on the screen. Detectors can be placed on the screen to measure the intensity of the pattern.

3. What is the significance of the Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms?

This experiment provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter. It also demonstrates the concept of superposition, where the excited atoms can exist in multiple states at the same time. The results of the experiment also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. How is the interference pattern affected by changing the distance between the slits?

The interference pattern becomes more spread out and the peaks become narrower as the distance between the slits increases. This is because the wider the distance between the slits, the more the waves from each slit will overlap, creating a more pronounced interference pattern.

5. Can the Young's double slit experiment with excited atoms be performed with other types of particles?

Yes, the experiment has been successfully performed with electrons, protons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. The results have been consistent with the wave-particle duality of matter, showing that all particles can exhibit wave-like behavior under certain conditions.