Your favourite quantum phycisists and why?

• Thread starter confusedashell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the most intelligent and important contributors to quantum physics are Dirac, Bell, and Bohm.
confusedashell
Just thought it'd be fun to see which people are regarded as the most intelligent and most important contributers to quantum physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
For technical and formal aspects, Dirac.
For interpretational aspects, Bell and Bohm.

P. A. M. Dirac for interpretation as well.
Bohm no. Bell just for one small aspect.

confusedashell said:
Just thought it'd be fun to see which people are regarded as the most intelligent and most important contributers to quantum physics?

Feynman

Myself...

edit
just for the record, it might be the Googolplexth discussion on that pointless topic.

Last edited:
mine is Jessica Biel

marlon

Yeah, I'll go with humanino. He was also the first person to use "Googolplexth" in a sentence.

Last edited:
I'll go with pam, I'll go with P.A.M. Dirac. He has an equation. Do you?

I'll go with Emanuel Derman.

jimmysnyder said:
I'll go with pam, I'll go with P.A.M. Dirac. He has an equation. Do you?

An equation and a notation, no less.

Learning Bell's inequality blew my little mind, way back when. I haven't been the same since.

I also go with Dirac.

lisab said:
An equation and a notation, no less.

And a monopole, and statistics, and another equation (non-quantum), and ...

..., constrained dynamics, "delta function", antiparticles, ...

Fermi. He has an accelerator, a paradox, a problem, a hole, a heap, a statistical distribution, a particle, a Golden Rule, an energy level and a Linux distribution named after him.

Witten?

waht said:
Witten?
The ? is most appropriate.

Gokul43201 said:
Fermi. He has an accelerator, a paradox, a problem, a hole, a heap, a statistical distribution, a particle, a Golden Rule, an energy level and a Linux distribution named after him.
and a femtometer.

Gokul43201 said:

What statistical distribution? Fermi-Dirac?
Dirac has a video codec named after him, as well as a sea.
(The linux distribution is tied to the accelerator, right?)

Epicurus predicted quantum indeterminism over 2000 years ago (De Rerum Natura 2.216-293).

:biggrin:

Toss up between Planck, Dirac, Einstein (well sort of :wink:) Smolin, Born, Kaku and Feynman. With honourable mentions to Pauli, Heisenberg and Schrödinger of course and in no particular order I can think of.

I wish I could find that photo of the great meeting of minds on QM, because frankly my favourites are all there, but I can't remember all the players off the top of my head.

This is probably the 10th thread asking the same damn question...it gets old.

robphy said:
What statistical distribution? Fermi-Dirac?
Yes, but, "Fermi function" is almost a household term nowadays! :)
Dirac has a video codec named after him, as well as a sea.
Yeah, but the sea is filled with Fermions, as is the sky above the Dirac sea!
(The linux distribution is tied to the accelerator, right?)
I believe that's right.

Cyrus said:
This is probably the 10th thread asking the same damn question...it gets old.
This is probably the second person at least mentionning this fact in this same discussion. No time to read even 19 other messages ?

humanino said:
This is probably the second person at least mentionning this fact in this same discussion. No time to read even 19 other messages ?

Not really. I don't care. I just find it annoying that these threads keep on popping up, over, and over, and over.......and over.

This and, "I like this girl"...:rolleyes:

(Actually, I've read the other 19 threads. So, I am not going to read 19 posts in this one).

Cyrus said:
I just find it annoying that these threads keep on popping up, over, and over, and over.......and over.
At least for once we agree.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Toss up between Planck, Dirac, Einstein (well sort of :wink:) Smolin, Born, Kaku and Feynman. With honourable mentions to Pauli, Heisenberg and Schrödinger of course and in no particular order I can think of.

I wish I could find that photo of the great meeting of minds on QM, because frankly my favourites are all there, but I can't remember all the players off the top of my head.

This one?
http://photos.aip.org/veritySearch2.jsp?item_id=Einstein%20Albert%20E3&fname=einstein_Albert_e3.jpg&title=null&storePublished=Y&color=N&contactID=78 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
This one?
http://photos.aip.org/veritySearch2.jsp?item_id=Einstein%20Albert%20E3&fname=einstein_Albert_e3.jpg&title=null&storePublished=Y&color=N&contactID=78 [Broken]

that's the one! It must of be a copyright issue, as it's no longer searchable in google image searches or via wiki, which is where I first saw it IIRC. Either that or I'm just not putting in the right search parameters?

Formidable line up.

Fifth (5th) Solvay Congress, Brussels, 'Institut International de Physique Solvay, Cinquieme Conseil de Fifth (5th) Solvay Congress, Brussels, 1927, the theme was electrons and protons. Back Row L-R: A. Piccard; E. Henriot (Brussels); P. Ehrenfest; E. Herzen; T. de Donder (Brussels); E. Schrodinger; J. E. Verschaffelt (Ghent); W. Pauli; W. Heisenberg; R.H. Fowler (Cambridge); L. Brillouin. Middle row L-R: P. Debye; M. Knudsen; W. L. Bragg; H.A.Kramers; P.Dirac; A.H. Compton; L. deBroglie; M. Born; N. Bohr. Front Row L-R: I. Langmuir; M. Planck; M. Curie; H.A. Lorentz; A. Einstein; P. Langevin; C. Guye (Geneva); C.T.R. Wilson; O.W. Richardson. ABSENT: Sir W. H. Bragg; H. Deslandres; E. Van Aubel (Ghent).

Result of the match: Einstein et al 0 - Pauli et al 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Why Kaku?
It seems to me that he is better known for his popular books and textbooks than for original research contributions.

1. Who is your favourite quantum physicist?

My favourite quantum physicist is Richard Feynman. He was a Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist known for his contributions to quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics.

2. What are some of Richard Feynman's most notable contributions?

Feynman is known for his work on the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics, and his diagrams known as Feynman diagrams. He also made significant contributions to the understanding of superfluidity, quantum statistics, and the weak interaction.

3. How did Richard Feynman influence the field of quantum physics?

Feynman's contributions to quantum physics have had a lasting impact on the field. His diagrams revolutionized the way physicists think about and calculate interactions between particles. He also played a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

4. What makes Richard Feynman stand out among other quantum physicists?

Feynman was known for his exceptional ability to explain complex scientific concepts in simple terms. He also had a unique approach to problem-solving and was highly creative in his thinking. His unconventional methods and brilliant mind made him one of the most influential scientists in the field of quantum physics.

5. How did Richard Feynman's personal life influence his work as a quantum physicist?

Feynman's curiosity and passion for science were evident from a young age, and he maintained this enthusiasm throughout his life. He was also known for his sense of humor and love for teaching, which made him a beloved figure in the scientific community. His unconventional lifestyle and way of thinking also influenced his groundbreaking work in quantum physics.