Your suggestions as prereqs for Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking advice on what background knowledge is necessary to do well in a Classical Mechanics course. The suggested topics include Differential Equations, Newtonian Mechanics, and some E&M, as well as concepts such as moments of inertia and conservation laws. The student is also advised to brush up on their calculus skills.
Hadrian
I'm taking Classical Mechanics this semester, I haven't had a physics course in 1.5 semesters; I need to know what all of you would say are the best things with which to be familiar to do the best in this class. I asked my professor, he seems to think it's a good background in Diff Eq, Newtonian Mechanics, and some E&M. I need to catch up on the background of this subject, as I'm struggling with the most basic of Mechanics topics (in terms of doing the homework; I understand the lecture and the reading). Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hadrian said:
I'm taking Classical Mechanics this semester, I haven't had a physics course in 1.5 semesters; I need to know what all of you would say are the best things with which to be familiar to do the best in this class.

It's very difficult for someone who isn't familiar with this specific course to answer the question, because you haven't given any idea of the level of the course or the topics that it covers. Is there a syllabus on line somewhere?

I am taking a course in analytical dynamics currently so if you have any specific questions would be glad to help.

prep material? pick up serwarys' text...
read over motion equations, oscillatory & wave mechanics...and F=-kx.
and yes you need to remember how to solve DiffQ. So any book on that will suffice even the first year stewart text. You really only need to solve a 2nd order equation.
which is usually sin/cos or e solutions. Also understanding derivatives vs partial derivatives...and how to manipulate them.

and some Moments' fo Inertia may be a good review...though you should learn it in the course...also the conservation laws(which should be in the motion equations)

Hamiltonian/lagrange/rigid bodies/chaotic dynamics should be taught in the class.

neurocomp2003 said:
prep material? pick up serwarys' text...
read over motion equations, oscillatory & wave mechanics...and F=-kx.
and yes you need to remember how to solve DiffQ. So any book on that will suffice even the first year stewart text. You really only need to solve a 2nd order equation.
which is usually sin/cos or e solutions. Also understanding derivatives vs partial derivatives...and how to manipulate them.

and some Moments' fo Inertia may be a good review...though you should learn it in the course...also the conservation laws(which should be in the motion equations)

Hamiltonian/lagrange/rigid bodies/chaotic dynamics should be taught in the class.

Calculus will kill you from every way in that class. Good luck.

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles and bodies, under the influence of forces.

2. What are some examples of Classical Mechanics?

Some examples of Classical Mechanics include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of a ball rolling down a hill.

3. What are the prerequisites for learning Classical Mechanics?

To understand Classical Mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and Newtonian mechanics. Knowledge of differential equations is also helpful.

4. Can I study Classical Mechanics without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is recommended for understanding Classical Mechanics, it is not impossible to study it without one. However, it may be more challenging and take longer to grasp the concepts.

5. How can I apply Classical Mechanics in real life?

Classical Mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing structures, understanding the motion of vehicles, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also the foundation for other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.