Hornbein said:
They're both Uralic languages. They say it is difficult to cross over to Indo-European and vice versa.
An example: welcome in Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish:
Velkommen, Velkominn Velkommen, Välkommen, and Tervetuloa.
Other differences:
No articles in Finnish(the, a, an)
Very little usage of prepositions (to, from, of, by, into, etc.), instead relying on cases:
talo - house(as the subject)
taloa - house(as the object)
talossa in the house
talosta - from/of the house(out of)
talolta - from the house (outside)
talolla- at the house
etc.
adjectives must be in the same case as the noun they refer to:
Punainen omena - red apple(subject)
Punainsta omenaa - red apple(object)
Punianset omenat - red applesVerbs are conjugated depending on the pronoun they are used with:
(minä) olen - I am
(sinä) olet - you are
(me) olemme - we are
( and thus the pronoun is often not even used)
There are 6 verb types, each with different rules on how to conjugate.
For example, Olen is formed from the type 3 verb olla ( to be)
The type 1 verb Etsiä ( to search) would become etsin ( I am searching),
while the type 6 verbs, Paeta( to flee/escape) and vaheta(to age) would become:
Pakenen (I am fleeing ) and vanhenen (I am aging)