Can YOUTUBE Tags Be Automatically Converted to MEDIA Tags?

• Thread starter A.T.
  • Start date
In summary, The old YOUTUBE tag is no longer working and there is concern about how to automatically convert them to MEDIA tags for the embedded videos to work in old posts. Greg is still working on this and plans to modify the whole database once he is ready. The system can recognize different video sites from the URL entered in the "Media" button in the editor. There is also an issue with the conversion of old tags, but Greg is working on fixing it, though it may take some time. The auto embed feature works with videos from various sites. There may be some difficulty in converting all the old tags, but Greg is confident that he can salvage and convert most of them. There is a suggestion to have interns manually convert the
A.T.
Science Advisor
The old YOUTUBE tag is not working anymore. Is it possible to automatically convert all YOUTUBE tags to to MEDIA tags, so the embedded videos in old posts still work?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I am aware Greg is still not finished with these things. Some of the tags have to be modified, my understanding is that Greg's plan is to modify whole database in one sweep once he is ready.

Ok, thanks.

I was also wondering how the software knows which of the now several possible video-sites to use, given that the MEDIA tag only contains the video ID. Is it the length of the ID?

Actually I'm pretty sure that if you just put the youtube link in the post the system will recognize it and process it. Tag should not be needed any longer.

Yup, the system automatically converts it into a media tag for you. Just pas the URL in the editor.

fyi, in the next few days I'll be converting all the old tags

A.T. said:
I was also wondering how the software knows which of the now several possible video-sites to use, given that the MEDIA tag only contains the video ID.

When you use the "Media" button in the editor, the dialog asks you to enter the URL, not just the video ID. The software apparently then recognizes the site from the URL, and picks out the video ID accordingly. If you quote Greg's post, you'll see that the opening tag for the video says "MEDIA=youtube".

Pasting just links:

jtbell said:
When you use the "Media" button in the editor, the dialog asks you to enter the URL
That is obvious. I was wondering about manually typing editing the tags. But I got it now. The opening MEDIA-tag has a parameter.

btw, I really messed up the old youtube bbcode conversion. It will take me a couple days to fix now. Please remain patient.

Likes DataGG
Greg Bernhardt said:
btw, I really messed up the old youtube bbcode conversion.

Oops, you did :)

Well this was a lesson for me. I spent 5 hours on this. I can only fix about half of the youtube links.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Well this was a lesson for me. I spent 5 hours on this. I can only fix about half of the youtube links.

Fix the half about cats please.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Can I help? Or is this beyond help? (save the kittehs)

Evo said:
Can I help? Or is this beyond help? (save the kittehs)
Thanks, but there are thousands to fix. I have to do it by use of regular expressions and that is tricky in this instance.

fyi, the auto embed will work with videos from: dailymotion, facebook, liveleak, metacafe, vimeo, youtube

You poor thing.

Evo said:
You poor thing.

My guess is he made himself poor with some hasty SQL command ;)

Or am I wrong, Greg?

Borek said:
My guess is he made himself poor with some hasty SQL command ;)

Or am I wrong, Greg?
You are very correct and my first regular expression attempt messed things up further. I'm really surprised I haven't nuked PF yet in 13 years lol. Just kidding guys, I have everything under perfect control :D

edit: actually I think I have had to restore from a backup, but it was a long time ago

Likes DataGG
My latest test was very successful. I think can salvage and convert 80% now. The links with the "feature" querystring are tripping me up

You need a couple of interns to do the remaining 20% by hand. :D

There's probably a regex that will do it but I probably couldn't figure out. My kung-fu is no good!

Jimmy said:
Say... what are you up to this weekend... :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Jimmy said:
Say... what are you up to this weekend... :D

If you don't mind PF getting nuked then sure... :p

Last edited:

Related to Can YOUTUBE Tags Be Automatically Converted to MEDIA Tags?

What are "YouTube tags"?

"YouTube tags" are keywords or phrases that creators can add to their videos in order to help users find their content through search and recommendation algorithms.

Why are my YouTube tags not working?

There are a few possible reasons why your YouTube tags may not be working. It could be due to a technical issue, such as a glitch or bug on the platform. It could also be because your tags are not relevant or specific enough to your content, or because your video has been flagged for violating community guidelines.

How important are YouTube tags?

YouTube tags can be an important tool in helping your content get discovered by viewers. They can help your videos appear in relevant search results and recommended videos, which can ultimately increase your views and subscriber count.

Can I change my YouTube tags after publishing a video?

Yes, you can edit your YouTube tags at any time after publishing a video. Simply go to the "Edit video" section of your video's settings and make the desired changes to your tags.

How do I choose the right YouTube tags for my videos?

When choosing YouTube tags, it's important to think about what words or phrases users would use to search for your content. It can also be helpful to research popular and relevant tags used by other creators in your niche. Additionally, avoid using too many tags (YouTube recommends 15 or less) and make sure they accurately reflect the content of your video.