Zero-Energy Universe: Reliable Source?

In summary, the "zero energy universe" hypothesis and the concept of negative energy in this context are described in Wikipedia, but given the fact that these two pages contain descriptions which others in this forum have called (in other contexts) sloppy, the validity of this hypothesis is questioned. The concept of "zero-energy universe" was formed in an era when stationary cosmological solutions were popular, but it is no longer mainstream nowadays. However, there are still references that support this concept and present observations consistent with it. The OP is looking for a more reliable and less technical source on this hypothesis.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The "zero energy universe" hypothesis and the corresponding "negative energy" are described in Wikipedia, but given the fact that these two pages contain descriptions which others in this forum have called (in other contexts) sloppy, I would like to know whether this hypothesis and the concept of negative energy in this context are valid, and if there is a link to a better explanation still on a level which is not too technical. Thank you.
In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe and in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_energy, the idea of a negative energy balancing out the positive energy in the universe is advanced. However, these two sites use descriptions of "quantum fluctuations", "virtual particles", typing them together with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, etc., in a way that has been described in Physics Forums (specifically, some excellent Insight articles by Arnold Neumaier) as sloppy. Therefore, I would like a more reliable source (but not too technical) as to this hypothesis, but my Internet search turned up similar articles. I am of course familiar with the possibility of labeling potential energy as negative, the negative energy solutions to Einstein's equations that are usually discarded, and a few other variations, but it seems to me that Wiki is talking about something else, although I could be mistaken. Any indications would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Summary:: The "zero energy universe" hypothesis and the corresponding "negative energy" are described in Wikipedia, but given the fact that these two pages contain descriptions which others in this forum have called (in other contexts) sloppy, I would like to know whether this hypothesis and the concept of negative energy in this context are valid, and if there is a link to a better explanation still on a level which is not too technical. Thank you.

In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe and in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_energy, the idea of a negative energy balancing out the positive energy in the universe is advanced. However, these two sites use descriptions of "quantum fluctuations", "virtual particles", typing them together with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, etc., in a way that has been described in Physics Forums (specifically, some excellent Insight articles by Arnold Neumaier) as sloppy. Therefore, I would like a more reliable source (but not too technical) as to this hypothesis, but my Internet search turned up similar articles. I am of course familiar with the possibility of labeling potential energy as negative, the negative energy solutions to Einstein's equations that are usually discarded, and a few other variations, but it seems to me that Wiki is talking about something else, although I could be mistaken. Any indications would be appreciated, thanks.
The topic is close to pseudo-science now. The concept of "zero-energy universe" was formed in era when stationary cosmological solutions were popular. This is no longer mainstream nowadays.

trurle said:
The concept of "zero-energy universe" was formed in era when stationary cosmological solutions were popular.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Plenty of "zero energy universe" concepts that have been proposed by physicists are perfectly compatible with an expanding universe.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Plenty of "zero energy universe" concepts that have been proposed by physicists are perfectly compatible with an expanding universe.
Then you should cite. "Plenty" is not a useful reference.

trurle said:
Then you should cite. "Plenty" is not a useful reference.

The Wikipedia articles linked to in the OP already give references. You should read them.

nomadreid said:
would like a more reliable source (but not too technical) as to this hypothesis

A number of the references in the WIkipedia articles are reasonably good but not too technical presentations.

PeterDonis said:
A number of the references in the WIkipedia articles are reasonably good but not too technical presentations.
Abstract of Ref. 5 (by the way, 47 years old) from wikipedia page "zero-energy universe" cites:
The author proposes a big bang model in which our Universe is a fluctuation of the vacuum, in the sense of quantum field theory. The model predicts a Universe which is homogeneous, isotropic and closed, and consists equally of matter and anti-matter. All these predictions are supported by, or consistent with, present observations.

Modern mainstream model is open universe without significant amount of antimatter.

trurle said:
Abstract of Ref. 5 (by the way, 47 years old) from wikipedia page "zero-energy universe" cites...

Yes, that's one reference. There are others. Not all of them support your "pseudo-science" claim. And if you have nothing else to add to the discussion than that claim, then please do not post again; this is not your thread and the OP is asking for useful references, not negative opinions.

1. What is a zero-energy universe?

A zero-energy universe is a theoretical concept in cosmology where the total energy of the universe is exactly zero. This means that the positive energy of matter is balanced out by the negative energy of gravity, resulting in a net energy of zero.

2. How is the zero-energy universe theory supported by reliable sources?

The zero-energy universe theory is supported by a variety of reliable sources, including scientific papers published in peer-reviewed journals, data from space observations and experiments, and the work of reputable scientists in the field of cosmology.

3. What evidence is there for the existence of a zero-energy universe?

One of the main pieces of evidence for a zero-energy universe is the observed flatness of the universe. This indicates that the total energy of the universe is very close to zero. Additionally, the theory is supported by the laws of thermodynamics and the observed expansion of the universe.

4. How does the concept of a zero-energy universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a zero-energy universe challenges traditional theories about the creation and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe has always existed and does not require a beginning or an external force to sustain its expansion. It also has implications for the fate of the universe and the possibility of a multiverse.

5. Is the zero-energy universe theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

The zero-energy universe theory is a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While it has gained support from some scientists, it remains a controversial and unproven theory. More evidence and research are needed to fully understand the concept and its implications for our understanding of the universe.