1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero-Point Energy, Relativity

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an electron confined in a region of nuclear dimensions (about 5fm). Find its minimum possible KE in MeV. Treat as one-dimensional. Use relativistic relation between E and p.

2. Relevant equations
    KE = p2/(2a) = [tex]\hbar[/tex]2/(2ma2)
    p = h/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
    E = hf
    E2 = (mc2)2 + (pc)2
    E = mc2 + KE

3. The attempt at a solution
    First attempt: [tex]KE = p^2/(2m) = (pc)^2/(2mc^2) = (E^2-(mc^2)^2)/(2mc^2)
    Thus, K2mc^2=E^2-(mc^2)^2 = K^2 + 2Kmc^2 + (mc^2)^2. [/tex]However, here everything cancels out and I get:
    K^2 = 0, which can't be right. (Answer in book is 40 MeV)

Another approach: [tex]E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2=(mc^2)^2 + 2mc^2K + K^2 [/tex](setting the invariant energy squared equal to the energy squared where E = K + mc^2

This leads to a quadratic equation: [tex]K = -2mc^2 \pm[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{(mc^2)^2+(pc)^2}[/tex]
    K = -2mc^2 [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{(mc^2)^2+(hc/\lambda)^2}[/tex]

When I plug in those values, I don't get 40 MeV. I feel like I'm missing something very simple and fundamental. This shouldn't be a hard problem. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    KE=p^2/2m is only valid for p<<mc

You should only use E = sqrt[(mc2)2 + (pc)2] and therefore,
    KE = E - mc^2 = sqrt[(mc2)2 + (pc)2] - mc^2.
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    That was indeed my guess on the second approach. If I take just that:
    KE = [tex]sqrt[(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2] - mc^2 [/tex], I still don't get there. Using the formula [tex]p = h/\lambda[/tex]

If I do as I did on the "second approach" then setting energies equal, I also have trouble. I'm a bit puzzled because I am sure I am missing something simple, and this is just straightforward.
  5. Nov 12, 2008 #4
    You should transform the statement that the electron is confined to small region in space to a statement about the uncertainty in position.

Then, you use the uncertainty relation to find a minimum for the expectation value of p^2.

That's the value you substitute in your relativistic relation between E and p, and you extract K from that, as you already correctly noted.
  6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    You get 40Mev if you use p=hbar/lambda.
  7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    Yes...and the correct explanation for that is the one I posted.
  8. Nov 12, 2008 #7
    Mmkay, I think I've tried that.

I have [tex]\delta p\delta x = \hbar/2.[/tex]

Thus, when I use the KE form from before:[tex]

KE = sqrt[(mc^2)^2 + (\hbar c/\delta x*2)^2] - mc^2 [/tex]

I must be doing incorrect math... sigh.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. Nov 12, 2008 #8

Where's the math mistake?

[tex]-.511MeV + sqrt[.511^2 + (6.58E-22*3E8/(2*5E-15))^2)
  10. Nov 12, 2008 #9
    What you wrote down is the minimum uncertainty condition, which is only satisfied for special cases such as the gaussian wave packet.

Normally people use [tex]\delta p\delta x \sim \hbar[/tex].

Actually, since it is an order of magnitude estimation, you can't really say it's wrong even if you use values like 2*hbar or hbar/2.

In my opinion, any value between 10MeV and 100Mev is OK for the answer.
  11. Nov 12, 2008 #10
    \delta x is not equal to 5fm, the better estimate is 2.5fm: it's the uncertainty in the position, and we can assume the expectation value of the position of the electron corresponds to the center of the region.

Apart from that, I agree with weejee: an order of magnitude estimate will have to do: the actual physics is too complicated to get the "real" answer.
  12. Nov 12, 2008 #11
    I see. It all makes so much more sense now, lol. Just take away that darn factor...

New question on this. I figured I should use minimum uncertainty for [tex]\delta x[/tex] since we were confining it to a box of size 5E-15m. Do you suppose my problem here was assuming the box was [tex]\delta x[/tex]? After all, [tex]\delta x[/tex] is usually only one side of the wave packet (akin to radius, not diameter). Thus, if I have a region of some size, then [tex]\delta x[/tex] is half the width of the region. Then when I plug in for minimum uncertainty, I get 2*0.5*width...

Thanks for the help.
  13. Nov 12, 2008 #12
    Right, borgwal, I think that was the problem. Thanks again!
  14. Nov 12, 2008 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?