Zero State, Stable Equilibrium, Dynamic System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the real numbers "k" for which the zero state is a stable equilibrium of a dynamic system with a given matrix. The main method used is finding the eigenvalues of the matrix, and for the zero state to be in stable equilibrium, the square root of 1+30k must be less than 8. The question is posed about finding the values for k if the eigenvalues are complex.
essie52
Could someone please help?

The question reads:

For which real numbers "k" is the zero state a stable equilibrium of the dynamic system (vector(x))(t+1)=A(vector(x))(t)?

A= [0.1 k ## 0.3 0.3] --> a 2 x 2 matrix with ## separating the two rows.

So, my thought is I need to find the eigenvalues. In order to do this I calculated the characteristic polynomial as:

x^2 - 0.4x + 0.03 - 0.3k = 0 with x representing eigenvalues

Using the quadratic formula I found that the (real) eigenvalues are (2 +/- (sqrt(1+30k)))/10 and for the zero state to be in stable equilibrium sqrt(1+30k) < 8. Hence, k < 21/10 (for stable equilibrium).

My question is how do I figure out the values for k if the eigenvalues are complex?

Do I solve the inequality 2 +/- (sqrt(-1-30k)) < 8?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Got it! Thanks anyway!

1. What is the Zero State in a Dynamic System?

The Zero State in a Dynamic System refers to the initial state or starting point of the system, where there is no external input or disturbance affecting the system. It is the point at which the system has no stored energy and is not in motion.

2. How is Stable Equilibrium different from Unstable Equilibrium?

Stable Equilibrium in a Dynamic System occurs when the system returns to its original position after being disturbed. This means that even if the system is pushed or pulled away from its equilibrium point, it will eventually return to that point. In contrast, Unstable Equilibrium occurs when the system does not return to its original position after being disturbed, and instead, moves further away from its equilibrium point.

3. Can a Dynamic System have multiple Stable Equilibrium points?

Yes, a Dynamic System can have multiple Stable Equilibrium points. This means that the system can remain in equilibrium at different points, depending on the initial conditions or external inputs. However, it is important to note that the stability of these equilibrium points may vary.

4. What factors determine the stability of a Dynamic System?

The stability of a Dynamic System is determined by the system's intrinsic properties, such as its natural frequency, damping ratio, and gain. Additionally, external inputs or disturbances can also affect the stability of a system. A system is considered stable if it returns to its equilibrium state after being disturbed or if it oscillates around its equilibrium state without growing uncontrollably.

5. How do scientists study Dynamic Systems?

Scientists study Dynamic Systems using mathematical models and simulations to understand how the system behaves over time. They also conduct experiments to observe and analyze the system's response to different inputs or disturbances. Additionally, advanced technologies such as sensors and data analysis tools are used to gather and analyze real-time data from Dynamic Systems in various fields of study, such as engineering, biology, and economics.