Zwiebach Page 197: Checking Translations & Commutators

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Zwiebach's practice of writing equations without proper justification and how it can make the equations difficult to read and understand. Specifically, the conversation focuses on equation 11.60, where Zwiebach is checking whether i\epsilon_{\rho}p^{\rho}(\tau) generates translations and why he takes the commutator with x^{\mu}(\tau) to show this. The conversation also mentions the author's frustration with this writing style and suggests improvements.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

In equation 11.60, Zwiebach is supposed to be checking whether p^mu(tau) generates translations.

Firstly, I am not sure why he checks i epsilon_rho p^rho(tau) instead.

Second, I am not sure why taking the commutator with x^mu(tau) shows that this generates translations. He claims that taking commutators is the way to generate symmetry transformations above, but I do not see where he justifies that statement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an example of one of Zwiebach's habits that drives me up a wall. He is not the only author of physics books to do it. In school, I studied mathematics, not physics and in all of the textbooks I read, I never saw this practice. Here I go up on my soapbox.

Zwiebach writes:
[tex]\delta x^{\mu}(\tau) = [i\epsilon_{\rho}{p^{\rho}(\tau),x^{\mu}(\tau)] = i\epsilon_{\rho}(-i\eta^{\rho\mu}) = \epsilon^{\mu}.[/tex]

If this were changed to
[tex][i\epsilon_{\rho}{p^{\rho}(\tau),x^{\mu}(\tau)] = i\epsilon_{\rho}(-i\eta^{\rho\mu}) = \epsilon^{\mu} = \delta x^{\mu}(\tau).[/tex]

Then there would be 2 major improvements. First, each of the = signs in the equation could be justified by the previous text. The way Zwiebach wrote it, there is no justification for the first equal sign. Second, you could read the meat of the equation by removing the interior of the equation. In other words, if the author is trying to show that A = B, then A = B = C = D has B buried in the interior of the line where the reader has to dig it out. while A = C = D = B has the intended equation on the ends of the line where they are readable.

In the present case, Zwiebach is trying to show that

[tex][i\epsilon_{\rho}{p^{\rho}(\tau),x^{\mu}(\tau)] = \delta x^{\mu}(\tau).[/tex]
This is what he means by the expression [itex]i\epsilon_{\rho}p^{\rho}(\tau)[/itex] generates the translation (11.57)

Last edited:
I see. Thanks.

Related to Zwiebach Page 197: Checking Translations & Commutators

1. What is the purpose of checking translations in "Zwiebach Page 197"?

The purpose of checking translations in "Zwiebach Page 197" is to ensure that the equations and expressions derived from one language or formalism can be accurately translated and reproduced in another language or formalism. This helps to verify the consistency and validity of the mathematical and physical concepts being studied.

2. How do commutators play a role in checking translations in "Zwiebach Page 197"?

Commutators are used in checking translations in "Zwiebach Page 197" to test the invariance of equations under certain transformations. If the commutator of two operators is equal to zero, it indicates that the operators commute and the equation is invariant under the transformation, thus verifying the translation.

3. Can translations and commutators be used to check all types of equations in "Zwiebach Page 197"?

No, translations and commutators are primarily used to check the validity of equations involving non-Abelian gauge fields and gauge symmetry transformations. They may not be applicable for other types of equations in "Zwiebach Page 197".

4. How do translations and commutators help in understanding the properties of gauge fields?

By checking the translations and commutators in "Zwiebach Page 197", scientists can observe how the gauge fields transform under different symmetries and how they behave when operated on by certain operators. This helps in understanding the properties and behavior of gauge fields, which are important in many areas of physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using translations and commutators to check equations in "Zwiebach Page 197"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using translations and commutators in checking equations in "Zwiebach Page 197". These methods may not be applicable for all types of equations and may not fully capture the complexities of certain physical systems. Additionally, they rely on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not always hold true in real-world situations.