Simplifying Equations of Motion for a Bead Sliding on a Parabolic Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express the Lagrangian in terms of x and y, using a constraint equation, and finding the equations of motion for small oscillations. The constraint in this specific example is y=ax^2, and there is a misunderstanding regarding the derivative with respect to time. The correct derivative is obtained using the chain rule.
Ed Quanta
So a bead slides down a frictionless parabolic wire of shape y=ax^2. I have to express the Lagrangian in terms of x and y. Then I have to use the constraint equation to express this solely in terms of x. Then I have to find the equations of motion, and simplify them for small oscillations.

How do I get from

L=1/2m(x')^2 + 1/2m(y')^2 - mgy

to

L=1/2m(x')^2(1 + 4a^2x^2) -mgax^2 ?

And in this specific example I am having trouble seeing what the constraint force or constraint potential is. It seems to that we know that the force of gravity is present and acting in the negative y direction, and we are told there is no force of friction, so what is the constraint?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two degrees of freedom, x and y, and one constraint, so you are left with one degree of freedom. Your bead has to roll on a parabola with equation y=ax^2, so (surprise, surprise), the constraint is y=ax^2. Simply substitute y and you'll get the correct lagrangrian.

Yes, but since y'=2ax, how do you come up with the term 1/2m(x')^2 *4ax^2? In other words, how does a term of x' end up in there? And I am not talking about the term 1/2m(x')^2 *1 which is also present in the Lagrangian.

since y'=2ax

I don't think that's true...

Originally posted by Ed Quanta
Yes, but since y'=2ax, how do you come up with the term 1/2m(x')^2 *4ax^2? In other words, how does a term of x' end up in there? And I am not talking about the term 1/2m(x')^2 *1 which is also present in the Lagrangian.

You've made an error in taking the derivative. Yo didn't take the derivative with respect to time, you took the derivative with respect to x. The correct derivative is obtained using the chaing rule. The result is

y' = dy/dt = 2ax dx/dt = 2ax x'

Stupid stupid me

1. What is a Lagrangian Constraint Problem?

A Lagrangian Constraint Problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It was named after Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who first introduced the concept in the 18th century.

2. What are the key components of a Lagrangian Constraint Problem?

The key components of a Lagrangian Constraint Problem are the objective function, which represents the quantity that is being optimized, and the constraints, which are conditions that must be satisfied in order to find the optimal solution. The Lagrange multiplier is also an important component, as it helps to incorporate the constraints into the objective function.

3. What is the role of the Lagrange multiplier in a Lagrangian Constraint Problem?

The Lagrange multiplier is a variable that is used to incorporate the constraints into the objective function. It is multiplied by each constraint and added to the objective function, creating a new function that takes into account the constraints. The optimal solution for the original problem can be found by finding the critical points of this new function.

4. What are some common applications of Lagrangian Constraint Problems?

Lagrangian Constraint Problems have a wide range of applications in many fields, including physics, economics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to optimize the design of structures, minimize energy consumption, and maximize profits, among other things.

5. What are some techniques used to solve Lagrangian Constraint Problems?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve Lagrangian Constraint Problems, including the method of Lagrange multipliers, Kuhn-Tucker conditions, and the primal-dual interior-point method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the most appropriate technique will depend on the specific problem at hand.