Can Newton's Second Law be Applied to Relativistic Motion?

In summary, the conversation was about how to show that \vec{F}=\gamma^{3}m\vec{a} when the force is always parallel to the velocity, using the equations p=\gamma m\vec{v}, \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\vec{a}, and \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}. The solution involved finding the derivative of p and factoring out common terms to show that (v^2/c^2)/(1-v^2/c^2)+1=gamma^2.
lylos

Homework Statement

Newton's second law is given by [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=[tex]\gamma^{3}m\vec{a}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\gamma m\vec{v}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure all you need to do would be to find d/dt of p. After a couple tries, I'm still unable to get the result that it provides.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what you do, and it's straightforward enough. No real tricks. Maybe you could show us an attempt?

http://picasaweb.google.com/barry.farmer/Hw/photo?authkey=byWKUltIRn8#5109819187179884178

Here's a scan of what I did... at the very bottom I was then lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed a factor of dv/dt in the first term when you did the chain rule. So factoring out all of the common terms (gamma*m*dv/dt), you only need to show that (v^2/c^2)/(1-v^2/c^2)+1=gamma^2. You are almost there.

Dick said:
You missed a factor of dv/dt in the first term when you did the chain rule. So factoring out all of the common terms (gamma*m*dv/dt), you only need to show that (v^2/c^2)/(1-v^2/c^2)+1=gamma^2. You are almost there.

Thanks for your help... I didn't realize that when I would take the derivative of -v^2/c^2 that it would be (-2v/c^2)(dv/dt). I think that's what you were getting at. I was able to get the answer that way :)

That's what I was getting at.

What is "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt"?

"Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" is a formula that describes the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and acceleration in the context of relativity. It is also known as the relativistic version of Newton's Second Law.

How is "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" different from Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to an object's mass times its acceleration, only applies in non-relativistic situations. "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass and velocity.

What is the significance of "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" in physics?

"Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" is an important equation in the field of physics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It is also a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

How is "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" used in practical applications?

This equation is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of particle accelerators and in the field of nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of technology, such as in the design of high-speed trains and spacecraft.

Are there any limitations to the use of "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt"?

While "Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt" is a powerful equation, it is based on the assumptions and principles of Einstein's theory of relativity. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of objects at extremely high energies or in extreme gravitational fields, where quantum mechanics and general relativity must be considered.