Should I self-study Calc III before taking the course?

In summary: Studying something in advance can help, but it is not required. What I found hard in Calc 3 is not knowing how to deal with 3d space. So getting intuitive notions of say 3d graphs, multiple integrals, and partial derivatives would help. Depending on how much theory they teach, it can be one of the hardest courses.
andrassy
So I have some free time this summer and was wondering if it would help to review topics from Several Variable Calculus (I believe its called calc III in most places?) before taking the class. I haven't taken calc with a lot of integrals in a year now because my freshman year in college i took a class that was for people who got a 5 on the AP calc AB exam which covered the BC portion focusing on series, differential equations, and complex numbers. Then I took Linear Algebra second semester. So I am signed up for several variable calc next semester but I really want to do well and my school is very challenging. Would it be helpful to start going over material now?

Physics news on Phys.org
I. Studying Calculus III now would be a very good idea as preparation for enrolling in it in the Fall - unless you are weak in Calculus II, in which case;
II. Restudying Calculus II now would be a very good idea, and you could begin studying some of the beginning parts of Calculus III as you have time before starting it officially in the Fall.

make sure you're really confident about trig derivatives and basic trig integrals. i was out of calc II for a year before i took calc III, and those nearly killed me.

Studying something in advance can't hurt you (in most cases), but it is not required. What I found hard in Calc 3 is not knowing how to deal with 3d space. So getting intuitive notions of say 3d graphs, multiple integrals, and partial derivatives would help. Depending on how much theory they teach, it can be on of the hardest courses.

no need . its not hard to pick it up as you go along and just asdk ur teech if u don't understand a concept. take your time to enjoy summer!

although what i would recommend u to do is review, not preview. know polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates.

I found the only thing from Calc II that I used in Calc III was integration by parts and some parametric and polar equations.

1. What is Calc III and why should I self-study it?

Calc III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calc I and Calc II. It focuses on functions of several variables and their derivatives and integrals. Self-studying Calc III can help you gain a better understanding of the subject and prepare you for the course.

2. Will self-studying Calc III be enough to prepare me for the course?

It depends on your individual learning style and previous knowledge of calculus. Self-studying can definitely help you get a head start on the material, but it is not a substitute for a formal course. It is recommended to also review the syllabus and textbook for the course to get a better idea of what will be covered.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying Calc III?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying Calc III will vary depending on your learning pace and schedule. It is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours a day for a few weeks before the course begins to familiarize yourself with the material.

4. What resources can I use to self-study Calc III?

There are many resources available for self-studying Calc III, such as online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and video lectures. It is also helpful to reach out to professors or peers who have taken the course before for additional guidance and resources.

5. Is it necessary to self-study Calc III before taking the course?

No, it is not necessary to self-study Calc III before taking the course. However, it can be beneficial in helping you understand the material better and potentially improve your grades in the course. It ultimately depends on your personal goals and learning style.