Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
turbo-1 said:
If I had to make a small batch for someone with a sensitivity to vinegar, I would ask if they could tolerate apple juice (for instance) and if so, I would substitute that for the vinegar. The apple juice would make the relish slightly acidic, but not acidic enough to can safely without really long processing times and/or the use of a pressure cooker, which would make the chopped chilies and garlic pretty mushy.
Thanks for the tip! I really would like to can some homemade hot salsa and hot sauce, but need to steer clear of vinegar.. I did can 12 qts of tomatoes so far this season and used lemon juice to bring down the pH (most canning sites recommended 2 tbl per quart). I am tempted to use lemon or lime juice as my acid for the hot sauce.

If I had access to a lab, I would measure the pH of the recipe using vinegar (acetic acid) and see how much lemon or lime juice (citric & ascorbic acids) I would need, to bring it down to that pH. And also see how much that volume of lemon juice, affects the flavor. Unfortunately I don't have a pH meter at home, so will have to go on recommendations from respected sources. You apple juice idea sounds great, but as you noted, it would not be acidic enough for steam canning and I wouldn't want mushy salsa made with the pressure canner :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouabache said:
If I had access to a lab, I would measure the pH of the recipe using vinegar (acetic acid) and see how much lemon or lime juice (citric & ascorbic acids) I would need, to bring it down to that pH. And also see how much that volume of lemon juice, affects the flavor. Unfortunately I don't have a pH meter at home, so will have to go on recommendations from respected sources. You apple juice idea sounds great, but as you noted, it would not be acidic enough for steam canning and I wouldn't want mushy salsa made with the pressure canner :yuck:
If you want a citrus taste (not just the low pH) I would suggest trying the apple juice for the bulk of the liquid, flavored with some lime juice. Chili relishes like this are OK to make up in tiny batches (one or two small jars at a time) until you settle on a mix of flavorings, herbs, etc that you like. With small batches, there is no need to sterilize and seal the jars - just refrigerate them promptly. One more tip - when you add your liquid to the chopped chilies and garlic, you don't have to cover them completely. As you simmer the relish, the solids will reduce in size a bit, and you'll probably have extra juice left after jarring the product - I usually have extra liquids after.

I weaponized my habaneros and Russian garlic today. I only managed to get 8 jars canned. The crop was small due to the late start and the cool wet weather. Habaneros LOVE sunny heat - the other peppers thrived regardless. I still have a huge crop of jalapenos, cayenne peppers, and Hungarian wax chilies to preserve. I'm going to chop equal parts of each with a good portion of Russian garlic and make a combo relish out of them. I'm planning on using both dill and cilantro in that batch, too. Should be a good dressing for burgers and dogs.

Evo said:
A tradition? Never, ever saw this in Houston, and I used to go to the Mexican markets and eateries down around Canal Street at least once a month. Must be a new tradition. :biggrin: Sounds good though.
I didn't know about green chile sauce until I met some folks from New Mexico, and apparently there, green chile sauce is the tradition. For some reason, it didn't catch on in Houston. I wonder if it's more popular in San Antonio.

Keen cook died after eating red-hot chilli sauce as a dare
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article4842531.ece
An aspiring chef died after eating a super-hot chilli sauce as part of an endurance competition with a friend.

Andrew Lee, 33, challenged his girlfriend’s brother to a contest to see who could eat the spiciest sauce that he could create.

The fork-lift truck driver, who wanted to cook for a living, prepared a tomato sauce made with red chillies grown on his father’s allotment. After eating it, however, he suffered intense discomfort and itching. The following morning he was found dead, possibly after suffering a heart attack.

Toxicology tests are being conducted to try to establish if he suffered a reaction to the food.

An inquest was told that Mr Lee, from Edlington, West Yorkshire, was in perfect health and had just passed a medical examination at work. He was a keen cook and would often prepare meals for his parents. It is believed that Mr Lee had never prepared a dish as hot as the one he made the night before his death.

Mr Lee’s sister, Claire Chadbourne, 29, said that he took a jar of the sauce to the home of his girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, and challenged her brother Michael, 29, to see who could eat it. “Andrew just ate the chillies with a plate of Dolmio sauce,” she added. “It was not a proper meal because he had already eaten lamb chops and potato mash after work.

. . . .
Hmmmm. I wonder how hot it was?

Astronuc said:
I didn't know about green chile sauce until I met some folks from New Mexico, and apparently there, green chile sauce is the tradition. For some reason, it didn't catch on in Houston. I wonder if it's more popular in San Antonio.
Could very well be, San Antonio and Houston are like two different worlds when it comes to Mexican cooking.

My little sister lives in Austin and it's very different.

Astronuc said:
Keen cook died after eating red-hot chilli sauce as a dare
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article4842531.ece
Hmmmm. I wonder how hot it was?
That's sad. People don't realize how potent this stuff is and how different people tolerate different things.

There is some stupid trick that people are pulling, it has to do with those 600,000 scovil habanero potato chips. Some idiots are mixing them into bowls of regular potato chips at parties and someone unwittingly eats one. The morons think it's funny. The reaction that someone could have not expecting it could be dangerous.

Evo said:
That's sad. People don't realize how potent this stuff is and how different people tolerate different things.

There is some stupid trick that people are pulling, it has to do with those 600,000 scovil habanero potato chips. Some idiots are mixing them into bowls of regular potato chips at parties and someone unwittingly eats one. The morons think it's funny. The reaction that someone could have not expecting it could be dangerous.
I never ever do crap like that! I warn people about treating my salsas like commercial salsas (They don't always listen!) and I make people try my salsas before they ever try my chili relishes. Last summer, my father asked if I could give him a jar of my hot stuff to give to his friend so that he could pass it on to his parapalegic son who loves hot stuff. I gave him a jar, and the son tried a bit of my relish on a chip, and it damned near killed him.

turbo-1 said:
I never ever do crap like that! I warn people about treating my salsas like commercial salsas (They don't always listen!) and I make people try my salsas before they ever try my chili relishes. Last summer, my father asked if I could give him a jar of my hot stuff to give to his friend so that he could pass it on to his parapalegic son who loves hot stuff. I gave him a jar, and the son tried a bit of my relish on a chip, and it damned near killed him.
As long as they are anticipating it to be hot, they won't accidently choke.

I know with my esophagus that anything that hot would probably send me to the hospital.

I have created a monster. My niece and her husband stopped in a couple of weeks ago and I gave them a jar of my 2008 chili relish mix (jalapeno, cayenne, and Hungarian wax chilies with LOTS of Russian garlic) and a jar of last season's tomato-based salsa. Her husband has always liked my tomato-based salsas, but he is addicted to this new relish creation. My niece has asked for the recipe so she can make a batch before the jar is gone. She says that she doesn't have to guess what he's eating when she hears him say "wow!" from the kitchen - it will be that garlic-y chili relish on corn chips.

Some new additions. A Little Nukey is pretty good. :biggrin:

The Z bottle (middle) claims 4 million Scoville units (habanero based from CaJohns Fiery Foods), and that might be close. It's pretty hot. The bottle has a recommendation for 'one drop at a time'. I like to splatter it, so my first taste test was several splotches on the tongue - maybe about half a teaspoon or so. I slathered some on pizza tonight. It also warns to 'avoid contact with eyes or sensitive areas', and to 'keep away from children'. I've had similar stuff that warns - 'keep away from children and pets'.

The Apricot-Ginger glaze is really good. Not too spicy, but it's very tasty.

I was also given two bottles of Emeril's green and red pepper sauces. They are terrible. If he approved these, then he knows nothing about hot sauce. They have little pepper taste, no heat, and taste more like vinegar and salt water - way too salty! :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc, you've got to come up for a visit. I've still got a bit of last year's red habanero relish tucked away, and it is killer on 'dogs. This year's milder chili relish with lots of Russian garlic has turned into a favorite. Luckily, I managed to can several quart jars before scaling down to the pints and half-pints, so we can probably make it through to next summer.

The chili relish i made has lost it's heat, how long should it keep? is there any way to revitalise it?

wolram said:
The chili relish i made has lost it's heat, how long should it keep? is there any way to revitalise it?
I keep mine sealed up in jars in the 'fridge and it keeps its heat well. Never ran into that problem.

The title of this thread made me laugh because just as I was about to get my Ph.D., one of my by-then former, and not-on-my-committee professors called me "hot-stuff" at the department winter holiday party! :rofl: (Don't worry, he was probably less than 10 years older than me, and pretty put together at the party himself, so I wasn't creeped out or anything.)

Hence, I thought someone was givin' turbo-1 a compliment on being hot stuff! But since they weren't, somebody's got to...

Hey everybody... Turbo-1's HOT STUFF!

Aw, shucks! :redface:

I got some new hot sauce called 357 Magnum (and it has a bullet literally tied to the bottle-neck).

The stuff is a blistering 600,000 Scovilles. Probably the best hot sauce I've ever had.

On a different note: Does anyone have any good beef jerky recipes? I got a dehydrater a while ago and I haven't had the chance to make jerky with it.

I'm looking for a good sauce recipe to marinade the meat in before I dry it.

Hi, MJ! I started making beef jerky one day and never finished. I cut up some nice tender strips of sirloin steak and marinaded them overnight in a mix of orange juice, beer, and some peanut oil. I added lemon juice for a little extra tartness, salt and pepper, and of course hot sauce.

I have a tall Brinkman smoker so I could put the grill on the top level and let the steak strips hang in the smoke. I fired up the charcoal, loaded the fire-pan with chunks of soaked hickory and hung the strips. I just stuck a toothpick through an end of each strip and used the toothpick cross-ways on the grill wires so the steak wouldn't fall into the bottom. I covered up the smoker and waited. In the meantime, my cousin and her family showed up for our yearly Christmas day all-day snack-fest. Her oldest daughter loved helping me cook and she likes hot stuff, so I asked if she wanted to check the "jerky". The meat was lightly cooked on the outside, tender and rare inside, juicy and delicious. We pulled all the meat out of the smoker ("testing" a few more in the process - quality-control, you know) and a new yearly favorite was born. Every year, I asked the girls what special treat they wanted for Christmas and every year after that it was smoked hot jerky - her sister always asked for my wife's fresh-made spicy shrimp eggrolls.

So sorry, no good jerky recipe, but if you want to experiment with marinades and smoking, you might come up with some really tasty hot stuff like this. If you don't go too nuts on the chili sauce, your family might really like it, too. Leave the 357 Magnum in the cupboard when you're cooking for others.

turbo-1 said:
Leave the 357 Magnum in the cupboard when you're cooking for others.

I'm sorry. That comment is just so funny in too many ways.

I'll try your advice, thanks.

Math Jeans said:
I'm sorry. That comment is just so funny in too many ways.

I'll try your advice, thanks.
Oops! I forgot to mention that crushed garlic and finely-minced onion have to be in the marinade, too. About the only things that I can cook without onions and garlic would be desserts, and my wife generally takes care of those.

turbo-1 said:
Oops! I forgot to mention that crushed garlic and finely-minced onion have to be in the marinade, too. About the only things that I can cook without onions and garlic would be desserts, and my wife generally takes care of those.

I thought that it was a given.

Math Jeans said:
I thought that it was a given.
Yep! Not only that, if there is a spice that you have handy that worked well in a similar dish, you would be remiss not to add that too. My wife and I are like jazz musicians in the kitchen - improvise! The recipe is not a score to a classical piece - it is a chart, and you've got leeway to interpret it each and every time. If it doesn't come out the same, as Larry Correyell says on Fairyland "that's jazz".

I got a couple of bottles of my favorite hot sauce in the mail yesterday so I am restocked.

I got the "Classic Red Creole Style Hot Pepper Sauce" and the "West Indies Creole Hot Pepper Sauce".

http://www.calantilles.com/images/newHSbottle/AllThree11-21-06.jpg

:!) Love this stuff!

MIH, there is a place in Ellsworth, ME called The Mex. I have heard OK reviews of their Mexican food, but have never eaten there. They have a bottled hot sauce that is killer, though. It is a thick brownish-green concoction that is made of 100% chilies. No vinegar, spices, etc - just chilies. They had a web-site once, but it was ill-behaved at best. You might want to give them a call and mail-order a bottle of that sauce. It's not as hairy as my jalapeno or habanero relishes, but it's quite tasty, and I used to use it in marinades, pizza sauces, and other stuff that needed a "kick" I think it's just called "The Mex Hot Sauce" and there is a cartoon of a frog on the label.

Looks like it would be worth a try:
http://www.mainemade.com/images/profiles/mex/v_image_more.jpeg

Math Is Hard said:
I got a couple of bottles of my favorite hot sauce in the mail yesterday so I am restocked.

I got the "Classic Red Creole Style Hot Pepper Sauce" and the "West Indies Creole Hot Pepper Sauce".

http://www.calantilles.com/images/newHSbottle/AllThree11-21-06.jpg

:!) Love this stuff!
ooh, I've never seen that!

I used Tom Mattson's favorite hot sauce, Franks. It's mmmmm, mmmm good.

I like Frank's, too. It really livens up spaghetti.

Math Is Hard said:
Looks like it would be worth a try:
http://www.mainemade.com/images/profiles/mex/v_image_more.jpeg
[/URL]

That's it! The bottle in the upper-left is the stuff. It's a bit thick and gloopy (is that a word?) and shouldn't be dashed onto stuff unless you're a chili-head, but it has a wonderful flavor. I no longer need this stuff to make sauces and hot dishes because I have much better concoctions of my own, but I used to swear by this hot sauce.

There was an article in our local paper this morning about a new place in Monroe, CT, called "The Angry Pepper" that carries over 400 varieties of hot sauces and has lots of them open for sampling. They're not set up for Internet sales yet, but anybody within striking distance who likes hot stuff should probably visit. It looks like only about 60-70 miles for Astronuc... A Pilgrimage!

http://www.theangrypepper.net/index.html

Uh Oh. Tonight I watched them eating ghost peppers, supposedly the hottest peppers on earth.

The hottest Habaneros rate 580,000 on th scoville scale

Ghost peppers rate 1,001,304 on the scovil scale.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/

There was a NMSU report on these rascals a while back. It took them years to grow enough to get testable amounts of the peppers, so I guess Maine is probably out of the picture. I can make do with the varieties that grow well here.

I just dug out the LAST quart of dill-pickled jalapeno rings. Since my wife and I have started making the spicy little roll-ups in wonton wrappers, we have gone through those rings at a frightening pace. I am under orders to grow LOTS more jalapenos this summer, both for pickling and freezing.

Well, gardening season is over, with very poor news on the pepper front. I got enough chilies (jalapeno and cayenne) to pickle with our dill cucumber pickles and a few more to freeze, but not enough to make salsas or chili relishes. I still have lots of jars from years past, so all is not lost, but I wanted to make more this year - especially with the bumper-crop of garlic. The garlic thrived in the cold, wet summer, but the chilies did very poorly - especially the habaneros, which stayed stunted and never flowered.

wolram said:
The Naga
http://www.dryriverchillies.co.uk/naga.html

I have some on order.

Wolram, turbo-1, Astronuc,

I ordered some starter bhut jolokia plants/seeds last early spring (February). My starter plants got infested with aphids and even in a small green house (under heat mat with light, temps kept high 70's) did not make it. Then I tried starting my own, in March then again late April. In a south window under heat mat, plenty of sun, same result.

My plants never got bigger than the first picture below. The second picture is of a mature plant (never got one), the third of the peppers themselves. I bought my seeds/plants http://green2995.stores.yahoo.net/bhjoseandpl.html" and got about 80% germination rates. The seeds were fine, starter plants when I got them fine, and even with anti aphid soap did NOT make it. If you have any suggestions on how to keep them from not making it this year, I am all ears.

I posted a couple of funny YouTube links attempting to tough out eating them, first a guy then a girl, both college I assume.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=bhut+jolokia+funny&hl=en&emb=0&aq=7&oq=bhut+#q=bhut+jolokia+funny&hl=en&emb=0&aq=7&oq=bhut+&start=10&view=2&qvid=bhut+jolokia+funny&vid=4927541782175496922"

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=bhut+jolokia+funny&hl=en&emb=0&aq=7&oq=bhut+#q=bhut+jolokia+funny&hl=en&emb=0&aq=7&oq=bhut+&start=10&view=2&qvid=bhut+jolokia+funny&vid=-8017739206808404426"

rhody...

jpwxe8.jpg

29lioeh.jpg

59ykhe.jpg

I have not tried to grow ghost peppers "yet" so I can't help you with tips. I intend to order some seeds this winter and start some in our mini-greenhouse to see what might come of them. Our last summer was so cold and wet that I got only a few jalapenos, cayennes, etc and no ripe habaneros. Sad! Luckily, I have made enough salsas and chili relishes in past years that we should make it through the next harvest OK, but I hope for a nice hot dry summer next year so I can catch up, canning several dozen jars of each.

Ghost peppers will be a limited experiment this time around. They thrive in India, and Maine is not a likely place to replicate that. Even researchers in New Mexico had a difficult time trying to get representative examples to grow over several seasons, so my work is cut out.