Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Evo said:
I'm planning on mixing a TINY bit into some cream cheese (waiting to get some). I'm afraid, very afraid, but I have to do it.

These peppers are beautiful Rhody. I wonder how they would be dried and ground?

Don't know Evo, I am guessing not as flavorful, the pepper has a cool sweet taste, and if I could find it, minus the capsaicin I would buy it over regular peppers you get at the market.

If you cut a teenie weenie bit of the bottom about the size of the end of a lead #2 pencil, it will give you an idea of the taste and heat without being overwhelming, unless of course you are one of those whose system can't take it. You know better than me, so plan accordingly, and if you cut them open, don't do what Don and Turbo (who doesn't mind the burn) did, get some synthetic gloves, they are cheap, and throw them out after each use.

I still have buds forming and two peppers growing now. I gave one to the guys nephew who bought my FJR today. I warned him, but you know how young people are. I will probably get a funny e-mail from the guy who bought the bike next week. I will miss my FJR, but it is time to move on. He got a good deal on it too, clocking more good karma for me in the future, I hope.

If you need a epi pen keep one handy and have someone with you for sure when you start experimenting. I don't want a guilty conscience as the one who did in Evo because her esophagus shut down in response to the heat.

Rhody...

Physics news on Phys.org
My collection of ghosts is dwindling. They are wonderful chilies, and have a nice sweet rich flavor. It would be wonderful to have harvested a crop of ripe Savinas (Caribbean Red habaneros) for side-by side comparisons. Unfortunately, the habaneros were party-poopers this year.

What do you think about the green habanero relish, rhody? I love that stuff on hot dogs and burgers, even when it is wimpy enough to require some extra relish to get the heat up to snuff.

rhody said:
Here is the chief propagator of the Trinidad Scorpion, http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Trinidad-Scorpion-Butch-T-The-Worlds-Hottest-Chile-Pepper-Coverage" :

This explains how these incredible seeds made there way here to the US. Here is an interesting http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/chillies/" giving background on four more hot ones. There is a new Sheriff in town, one who demands your utmost respect.

That thing looks evil. It reminds me of a blob of molten lava...

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6411/trinidadscorpion.jpg

Rhody... :uhh:
Doesn't that remind you of an atomic cloud?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Doesn't that remind you of an atomic cloud?
Yeah, very good Evo, it does...

WTF... I just checked online and my order of 10+ seeds shipped, 6.99 $ not bad, plus 4.05 $ shipping ! Are you kidding me, it costs .45 cents tops. Unless they are scamming me by sending them FedEx overnight. Let the buyer beware I guess. Grrrr...

Rhody... :grumpy:

P.S. I just sent the user some negative feedback, I ordered through Amazon, and if they are adding the overhead and I didn't read the terms clearly I am fine with it. If not, then the seller should be ashamed of themselves.

Here is the e-mail I sent to Amazon, I hope because PF is so highly ranked it gets picked and and spread to warn others as well:

I don't mind paying the 6.99 $ for the seeds, no problem, but 4.05 for shipping is outrageous. Unless they are being shipped FedEx overnight, (and buried in the fine print), it is robbery. An example of classic bait and switch. Please explain. I send ghost seeds to friends as a token of goodwill, it costs me 45 cents tops. If this is the hosting sites policies that offer them, no problem, if not you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Item Subtotal : $6.99
Shipping & Handling : $4.05
Total : $11.04

Last edited:
rhody said:
Yeah, very good Evo, it does...

WTF... I just checked online and my order of 10+ seeds shipped, 6.99 $ not bad, plus 4.05 $ shipping ! Are you kidding me, it costs .45 cents tops. Unless they are scamming me by sending them FedEx overnight. Let the buyer beware I guess. Grrrr...

Rhody... :grumpy:
Not good! I wish you good luck with those seeds, because at that price you don't want to lose them to aphids, fungus, etc.

I finally got some decent habs. Nice and hot.

I'll look into those scorpions.

Funny, after I wrote my comment to Amazon I got a call from the owner of the Pepper company, Jim Duffy, from San Diego. I found out he advertises from five sites, with Amazon being one of them. He said the charge 15% right off the top and then make you buy their packaging and labels. He said as a buying tip if you buy lots of small items the shipping is not so outrageous. We talked on the phone for over fifteen minutes. You can buy direct from his website http://www.superhotchiles.com/", and shipping is cheaper. He donates 30% of his profits for his charities based on his religious beliefs. Seemed like a pretty standup guy on the phone. I told him about the research paper Nagaland I posted about a few posts ago, and how I am going to try to get a ghost tree to grow indoors if possible. He has a wide variety of chilies and his photos are excellent. Turbo, I have never seen such a wide variety of habaneros, take a look. His prices are cheaper as well.

Rhody... o:)

That's a pretty impressive on-line catalog, rhody. I'd grow chilies for market if I had a large greenhouse, though I'd probably find it tough to actually find a market for most of his hotter varieties. I'm my own best customer for habaneros. Nobody else around here wants them.

One year, I had so many extra chilies that I invited a neighbor to take as many as she wanted. I didn't give away habaneros but she took lots of Hungarians, jalapenos and cayennes. Another neighbor hadn't approached me, but he had asked her if she had any chilies to spare, since her husband used to grow them, so she gave him a few pounds of my peppers. The next morning, he was at her door with the bag, giving them all back. They were all "too hot"! I didn't grow poblanos that summer, but that's probably about his speed. Mild, and large enough to stuff with rice, ground meat, etc.

Here is Jim's impression of the Trinidad Scorpion, from a link from his website http://www.fiery-foods.com/pepper-profiles/153-chinense-species/2847-the-rare-trinidad-7-pot-superhot-chile?start=3" :
Trinidad Scorpion
Capsicum chinense species usually give me a little flavor and then build to a searing heat. Not the Scorpion. It does have a nutty flavor. I will re-enact my first taste of it: I took a small sliver and put it in my mouth. It hit me instantly with heat and my brain said SPIT IT OUT NOW! I put my head on the kitchen counter and continued to chew as I felt the heat build. It hurt me the most. Maybe it’s hotter that the Bhut, I don’t know. Only testing in the future will tell.

So now you chileheads know about the Trinidad 7 Pot or 7 Pod. Yes, there is life after Bhut Jolokia. But Bhut Jolokia is what brought attention to these other superhot chiles. So I thank you, Mr. Bosland! Growing the superhots is rewarding. There is less occurrence of flower drop in the 7 Pot, Naga Morich and Scorpion. So if you can grow Bhuts, you can grow these. Right now my rare Yellow 7 Pots are ripening and soon I will be germinating Chocolate 7 Pot and Yellow Scorpions. Wonder what they will feel and taste like? Stay tuned—I will be back to share that with all of you!
Seeing how the ghost peppers didn't bother you very much it will be interesting to see what you think of these things. I can't wait till next August/September to find out.

Evo,

Have you gingerly taste tested yours ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Seeing how the ghost peppers didn't bother you very much it will be interesting to see what you think of these things. I can't wait till next August/September to find out.
I like the flavor and enjoy the build of the burn of the ghosts. Ghosts are sweet and rich, and the burn is not significantly stronger than ripe habaneros that I have grown. I can't wait to try other varieties, as people experiment with growing them.

This year's habs were quite disappointing, and I was eating them raw in the garden while harvesting them before a killing frost. I would not have been quite as cavalier during the years when my habs were doing really well, and had fully ripened. Some of those were pretty snarly.

Here are a couple of pics of relatively normal pepper varieties and then the ghosts.

The top picture are normal brands, a hodgepodge of seeds I had left over.

Below that are the ghosts, seven in all, and behind them are those cotton ball like things. Two have sprouted, and I didn't realize this, but the roots appear to come out one side of the seed and the shoot the other. If they are upside down, they somehow find their way, down and up as needed. That is probably why some take longer to pop up, because you can pry open those white puffy containers you can seem them in action. All they need to sprout is water, heat and eventually light.
Pretty cool, huh. The greenhouse is 80 F with 80% humidity, and I spray them twice a day once in the morning, then again at night, it works out perfectly. If you let them go for a whole day, they may wilt, and if you do that too many times you may lose the seedling. The seller of those cotton ball like things said to plant the whole thing plant and all in dirt when they get large enough. I have both types, dirt and the white cotton like balls to test to see which grows better. Time will tell.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6161/pepper1.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/963/pepper2.jpg

Rhody... :cool:

turbo said:
I like the flavor and enjoy the build of the burn of the ghosts. Ghosts are sweet and rich, and the burn is not significantly stronger than ripe habaneros that I have grown. I can't wait to try other varieties, as people experiment with growing them.

This year's habs were quite disappointing, and I was eating them raw in the garden while harvesting them before a killing frost. I would not have been quite as cavalier during the years when my habs were doing really well, and had fully ripened. Some of those were pretty snarly.

I may have hot dogs tomorrow on the grill and will use some of your hab relish. Let me get this straight then, the habs you grow are as hot as the ghosts ?! Really. What are those little devils rated at anyway ?

Rhody...

turbo said:
I'd grow chilies for market if I had a large greenhouse, though I'd probably find it tough to actually find a market for most of his hotter varieties.

Turbo/Rhody Do you have any asian markets nearby? I was very surprised to see boxes of ghosts for sale at my local Asian store last weekend. $8.99 for a plastic box with approximately 7 - 10 peppers inside. I was almost tempted to go back down and buy some just to smell them. If they aren't "perfumey" to me like the grocery store habs are, I might be able to use them, but habaneros are scary enough for me. (I aspirated some hab aerosols... now ghosts really scare me...:eek:)

Rhody, the habs that I had in my best years were as hot (or even hotter) than the ghosts that you sent me, IMO. I love the sweet, rich taste of the ghosts, and may try growing some (getting the greenhouse guys to start them for me in return for some of the seeds that I saved). Years back, they started Red Savinas, but have switched to Carribean Reds, I believe, due to the cost and availability of seeds. I'll have to talk to them, if I can stand upwind. Those boys are quite fragrant!

Anyway, if I can compare raw to raw, the habaneros are lighter in flavor, and the ghosts are richer and sweeter and not all that different in heat, though the ghosts seemed to have a delayed burn. This is all pretty subjective, so take it with a grain of salt and a shot of Patron Silver. :devil:

Ms Music said:
Turbo/Rhody Do you have any asian markets nearby? I was very surprised to see boxes of ghosts for sale at my local Asian store last weekend. $8.99 for a plastic box with approximately 7 - 10 peppers inside. I was almost tempted to go back down and buy some just to smell them. If they aren't "perfumey" to me like the grocery store habs are, I might be able to use them, but habaneros are scary enough for me. (I aspirated some hab aerosols... now ghosts really scare me...:eek:)
Ms Music,

The next time you are in the Asian market, ask the owner where the peppers came from, the US or from South America or India, or other country. Right now is the prime season for them so you will see fresh ones for a little bit longer. Jim Duffy has quite a nice business for himself, perfect growing climate and he uses high school labor at 2$ per hour more than what they earn at McDonald's to plant, harvest, package, ship and do the books for him. The amount of gross sales he did last year would ASTOUND you. He puts 30% of that back into his youth charities where he gets a group of kids who want to learn about business, and how to deal with people. A win, win situation if you ask me. Very pleasant and accommodating on the phone too. I just want a 9 foot monster pepper tree that will be a conversation piece and produces a ton of peppers.

Rhody...

Ms Music said:
I don't know why habanero peppers are perfumey. Mine have been fairly neutral in scent until you chop them - then they get snarly. It was a treat to use rhody's ghosts - sweet and rich. Again, even in a zip-lock bag, they weren't too fragrant until they are cut open. Then their scent blooms.

You should give the ghosts a shot. If you are concerned about the heat, drop a chili in a food processor with other ingredients and blend the heck out of them and make a batch of chili sauce or spaghetti sauce, then adjust the amount of ghosts that you use to match your tastes. It can be tricky to estimate, because chili peppers aren't "calibrated". One can be pretty mild and the next can have snarly heat.

I used one ghost to make a marinade for grilled shrimp, and my wife said that the shrimp wasn't hot enough. I used 3 ghosts for the next batch and she said that the shrimp was too hot, then proceeded to eat probably more of the grilled shrimp than my father and I got. Ghosts have a sneaky heat, and the flavor is exceptional.

Wow, since yesterday, my seedlings are getting taller and they now have 4 and 6 leaves instead of two, and my three mature plants upstairs have starting showing flowers.

I will put the fan on them low speed to make sure they self pollinate. Looks like more peppers are on the way folks.

Evo,

Any small peppers forming yet ?

Turbo,

As a taste comparison, I will take a pepper from my plant and do a heat test against your habanero relish to see if the heat is what you claim. I will report back after dinner when I grill the hot dogs.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Turbo,

As a taste comparison, I will take a pepper from my plant and do a heat test against your habanero relish to see if the heat is what you claim. I will report back after dinner when I grill the hot dogs.

Rhody...
I fear you will be disappointed by the relish, rhody. The habaneros were quite wimpy this year. If I get a decent-quality crop next year, expect to see some ripe ones in the mail for a side-by-side. And probably some more relish if I can get a fair-sized batch canned. I canned these out of desparation - frost coming and no ripe chilies.

I talked to a co-worker who has a friend in Trinidad, and he brought him some Trinidad Scorpion peppers. He says mine won't be as hot. I told him about heat stressing the plants and low hanging fruit being hotter. We have a lunch bet his native Trinidad peppers will be hotter than the ones I grow. We will have to wait and see, now won't we ? :eek: :devil: :biggrin:

Rhody...

rhody said:
Evo,

Any small peppers forming yet ?
Still waiting to bloom. A squirrel attack a few days ago knocked my two bottom buds off that were ready to bloom. Luckily, they were the only casualties.

I got my Trinidad Scorpion seeds today. As I have said right along, wouldn't it be neat to grow a 7+ foot high tree of hot peppers.

Lets take it one step further, picture something like this, but with each of the six trunks belonging to its own kind of hot pepper !
I spoke to someone at work whose Dad who was an old school grower describe a method of grafting one species on apple tree onto another.
That is another option and I don't know if it would work with peppers or not. I will continue to investigate.

I think trying a craft a piece of living art like this would be quite a challenge, don't you ?
I know because of close proximity to one another the pure line of the pepper would be diluted, but I don't care.
Its just to see if I can do it that matters. Has anyone ever trained these bamboo plants to grow this way ?
I think they use copper wire but I am not sure. More stuff to look into.

Here is another option, stacked on the right, pretty cool stuff.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7913/twistedplants.jpg http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3040/twistedplants2.jpg

Rhody...

Evo said:
Still waiting to bloom. A squirrel attack a few days ago knocked my two bottom buds off that were ready to bloom. Luckily, they were the only casualties.
I can recommend a couple of inexpensive single-cock pellet rifles that are pretty quiet and are in excess of 1000 fps. That's just about in .22 Short range. Your peppers shouldn't be the only casualties. :devil:

turbo said:
I can recommend a couple of inexpensive single-cock pellet rifles that are pretty quiet and are in excess of 1000 fps. That's just about in .22 Short range. Your peppers shouldn't be the only casualties. :devil:
Evo,

You won't need a pellet gun to dispatch the squirrel, just wait till he samples a good hot chunk of a pepper, you will see him spinning on the ground like a top. Do squirrels have long tongues ? If they do, I bet it would be hanging out and the little critter would be hi-cupping and or foaming at the mouth. The ghost plant can protect itself. At least that is my prediction anyway.

Rhody...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFxsU8WniTQ&feature=related

Here is a nice video of growing a 7 Pot Scorpion and a ghost pepper, from the middle of January for six weeks in ideal growing conditions. If you do you growing under artificial lighting and then transfer to a window like he did, this is what you can expect, 12 to 16 inches of growth, nice looking plants. He pinches all the flowers to increase height and leaf growth.

I watched a few videos on spiral bamboo training, the author uses a box with holes in it to cause the bamboo, to turn towards the light, since ghosts and Trinidad Scorpions are slow growing I don't think this approach would be practical to achieve a spiral look. I think I would be happy if I could get three or more plants to become trees in the same large pot.

I priced an industrial strength grow light 400 watt MH that requires a big ballast, a hood and hangers. Here is the breakdown. The light generates some fairly serious heat and I am told running the ballast and light will cost you $15 - $20 a month. Once you have this setup, you can do some serious growing. The shop I may use said he will give me a 10% discount as well, so that helps. I haven't pulled the trigger on this setup yet. I am mulling over the possibilities at the moment.
  • Lamp $35.00
  • Hood $41.50
  • Ballast $145.00
  • Light Hangers $20.00
  • Total $241.50
Rhody... :biggrin:

A friend of mine who use to grow tomatoes on a large scale, 5000 plants per season, went to a police sale/auction of confiscated marijuana growing equipment and bought three 3-phase 5000 watt (IIRC) grow lights. He installed them in a windowless building about the size of a two car garage where he had the interior walls and ceiling painted snow white.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI

dlgoff said:
A friend of mine who use to grow tomatoes on a large scale, 5000 plants per season, went to a police sale/auction of confiscated marijuana growing equipment and bought three 3-phase 5000 watt (IIRC) grow lights. He installed them in a windowless building about the size of a two car garage where he had the interior walls and ceiling painted snow white.

You mean he switches from tomatoes to weed?

Borek said:
You mean he switches from tomatoes to weed?
He actually started his tomato plants in there. When he transplanted them outside, he punched holes in rows of black plastic he had laid down in rows. He damned up a creek adjacent to the tomato field and pumped water into his system that distributed a trickle to each plant. He would hire 3 or 4 pickers and sold them at a big "farmers markets" in the part of Kansas City where Evo lives.

Look what just came in my e-mail... Obviously, I have not included the
vendor. I don't know if I should be shocked, insulted, envious. This offer
only lasts a limited time. Any opinions ? Would any of you buy these, and
at this price ?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2729/salei.jpg

The subject of stands and grow lights came up at work. A co-worker sold one of http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-9844-light-stand-12-tray-combo.aspx" awhile ago, three trays, adjustable, a 2 lights above each tray. Too bad I wasn't looking for one then, this is a nice setup. When he bought it years ago, it was over $500 back then. I am still mulling over options and possibilities. What usually happens in cases like this is that everything works out just the way it should given enough patience and time.

Just like the new track bike situation, I looked at two bikes before the best deal happened to come along. I have a friend who did me a favor and sold me the bike at a very good price. Treating people right and fairly can pay big dividends down the road.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7352/planttray.jpg

Rhody...

rhody said:
The subject of stands and grow lights came up at work. A co-worker sold one of http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-9844-light-stand-12-tray-combo.aspx" awhile ago, three trays, adjustable, a 2 lights above each tray. Too bad I wasn't looking for one then, this is a nice setup. When he bought it years ago, it was over $500 back then. I am still mulling over options and possibilities. What usually happens in cases like this is that everything works out just the way it should given enough patience and time.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7352/planttray.jpg

Rhody...

$500? :bugeye: No way. If you can grow ghost as well as you do, you can certainly make one of the for >$100. Not the same cart but for example this one at Walmart sells for $29.97.

0003886102023_500X500.jpg

Now for adding lights, wiring, etc. for $30 or $40.

YOU CAN DO IT! :biggrin:

Edit: Oh. Here's a 3 shelf cart for $49.99,

0008835496008_P321166_500X500.jpg

and a 4 shelf one for $69.99,

0008835496011_P321166_500X500.jpg

Evo said:
Look here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001XLSGQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I bought a cheap flourescent fixture from the hardware store for a few dollars and some cheap wood and made a plant stand years ago.

Funny Evo,

I have a plant stand very similar to the one your posted. Having said that, I talked to a guy who sells plant growing accessories. If you want results like the one I posted in the video a few posts ago, you need some serious (photon and source of heat power), hehe... I am looking into a larger heat mat for my three remaining plants that are still flowering indoors. It seems like we will have a good data set to compare through next spring and summer, a bang for the plant growing buck study if you will. Everyone who grows these types of hot pepper(s), please report on your setups and growing methods. It should generate interesting discussion to be sure.

As I said before I am still weighing my options, I never take the cheap way or or the most expensive route, but find a medium priced compromise that works for most cases.

Rhody... out...

rhody said:
Look what just came in my e-mail... Obviously, I have not included the
vendor. I don't know if I should be shocked, insulted, envious. This offer
only lasts a limited time. Any opinions ? Would any of you buy these, and
at this price ?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2729/salei.jpg

But, if someone wants one bad enough and doesn't know where else to find one... But that price should be per pound. (unless that price included shipping)

I'm so upset that I don't have that sunroom from my old place, it was all windows and plants loved it. I will have to add a grow light.

Here is the http://homeharvest.com/lightingmain.htm" on Hi-intensity, Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium Grow lights:
Compact High Intensity Plant Grow Light Systems

High Intensity Discharge (HID) plant grow lights produce over 500% more light than regular incandescent grow bulbs using the same amount of electricity. These lights are so bright, not only can you use them for starting seeds and seedlings, you can actually GROW full size bedding plants, leafy greens, and fruiting vegetables like tomatoes and peppers. These compact fixtures by Hydrofarm® and Sunlight Supply® enable you to grow magnificent herb gardens, african violets, bonsai trees, cacti, succulents, orchids, tropicals, and most other plants as tall as 4 feet in height.

Metal halide (MH) grow lights are best for all-purpose growth, help keep plants short and compact, and provide the best color rendering. High pressure sodium (HPS) lamps work well for all-purpose growth, but are best for promoting fruiting and flowering in plants. Switchable, or convertible models allow growers to utilize each of these technologies using the same fixture.

These babies are 4000 watts three phase units and require hefty (an expensive) ballasts. The upside, reread the text in blue above, you can get mature plants without ever transplanting them, if you so choose.

I have been checking Craig's List for MH Lights and ballasts, no hits so far. I may try Flea Bay next.

Rhody...

Here are a couple of trays of peppers, the ones on the right are the evil ones, the Trinidad Scorpions. The tray on the left at the chocolate and ghost peppers.

Notice the ones on the left are getting leggy. I believe the four in front of the tray on the left are the chocolate ghosts. I tried as an experiment, to peel the second tier of leaf stems off of one of the chocolate ones to see if it would still grow and heal or hurt or kill the plant. I even use a tripod to get these pictures and would like some advice on getting better contrast, etc... I tried with and without flash and various camera settings, nothing produced sharp results.

I am pleased all four Trinidad Scorpion's came up. They sprouted three of four days apart and now the newer ones seem to be catching up with the others. I find that a bit odd.

Remember, my goal is to somehow get a tree like structure out of this. I will fertilize tomorrow and post new pictures if I see a growth spurt, they say you should only fertilize about once a week, so I am sticking with that for now.

Rhody...

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4783/babypeppers.jpg

P.S. Mature ghosts upstairs now under heat mat are doing fine, some leaves brown near edges, flowers and peppers still forming, at a slower pace. When I see flowers I put the fan on them during the day to help pollinate.