How to attach bearings on shaft

• Thread starter Blad9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary, the conversation discusses how to attach bearings to a shaft in order to rotate it 90 degrees to either side. The suggestion is to use two slide bearings on the top and bottom, and to consider the thickness of the shaft in the middle portion. The conversation also mentions using external circlips or utilizing a crank mechanism for attaching the bearings. It is also suggested to refer to books that show structures inside gear boxes for useful information.
Blad9
I have a shaft, which I would like to rotate 90 degrees to one side and then 90 degrees back to the other side and so forth. How should I attach the bearings to this shaft? I was thinking to do it as shown in this image:
wl4tj9.jpg

Two slide bearings, one on the top and one on the bottom so the shaft can rotate. But how should I fix this movement vertically? I’m completely new to attaching bearings on shafts, so any help would be appreciated. It does not necessarily have to be done as shown in the image.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The shaft at the middle portion can be thicker in diameter than the top and bottom portion.

cktoh said:
The shaft at the middle portion can be thicker in diameter than the top and bottom portion.
Yes, true. Didn't think about that. But how should I realize that?

If there is no axial load, you can use external circlips

if there is a load, perhaps you could look at the workings of a crank on a bicycle. Are you attaching anything to each end of the shaft? some shafts are frozen (reduced in size) then feed into the bearing and gradually heated to create a mate through expansion of metal, or you can have them press fitted.

Hope this helps.

Dunk

if you need the shaft bears axial force, the shaft must have a shoulder, one bearing leans against the shoulder, it can support whole shaft.
i suggest you refer to some books show a few structure inside gear box, it is useful for you.

Related to How to attach bearings on shaft

1. How do I determine the correct size bearing for my shaft?

To determine the correct size bearing for your shaft, you will need to measure the diameter of your shaft and compare it to the inner diameter of the bearing. The bearing inner diameter should be slightly larger than the shaft diameter to allow for proper fit and rotation.

2. What is the best method for attaching bearings on a shaft?

The best method for attaching bearings on a shaft is by using a press fit. This involves heating the bearing and cooling the shaft, then pressing the bearing onto the shaft until it is fully seated. This method ensures a secure and tight fit.

3. Can I use adhesive to attach bearings on a shaft?

It is not recommended to use adhesive when attaching bearings on a shaft. Adhesive can create an uneven surface and hinder the rotation of the bearing. It is best to use a press fit method for a secure and reliable attachment.

4. Do I need to lubricate the bearing before attaching it to the shaft?

Yes, it is important to lubricate the bearing before attaching it to the shaft. This will help reduce friction and ensure smooth rotation. Be sure to use a lubricant that is compatible with both the bearing and the shaft material.

5. How can I ensure proper alignment when attaching bearings on a shaft?

To ensure proper alignment, it is recommended to use a bearing installation tool or a shaft alignment tool. These tools will help ensure that the bearing is properly positioned and aligned with the shaft, resulting in optimal performance and longer lifespan of the bearing.