Do i need conuit for armored cable

• Thread starter appsperhaps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the question is whether or not armored cable needs to be run in conduit in India for safety regulations. The general consensus among the conversation participants is that it is ultimately dependent on the specific application and local regulations. It is recommended to consult with local resources and code books for accurate information.
appsperhaps
Hi,

I am new to consulting business in India and wanted to know that if i use armored cable do i need to run it in conduit.
I believe the whole reason of using armored cable is to avoid using any conduit.

thnx for ur help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any readers here from India and able to answer this? I'm sure it would be better to rely on a government source in India, since you are dealing with local safety regulations.

appsperhaps said:
Hi,

I am new to consulting business in India and wanted to know that if i use armored cable do i need to run it in conduit.
I believe the whole reason of using armored cable is to avoid using any conduit.

thnx for ur help.

Welcome to the PF.

As NascentOxygen says, it depends on the application and on your local regulations. Especially if you are new to consulting, you probably should be looking to your local resources for answers like this, and not asking on a web forum...

My first thought would be do we run conduit inside of conduit? But you really need to be asking somewhere else, specifically in Inida. Good luck to you.

In USA, China and Chile, armored cable is obviously run on cable ladder and the like.

Single conductors are used in conduits.

India I would expect the same...but better check your local code book.

I've designed conduit runs between building and then pulled http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-buried_cable" through them. It made the installation much easier; as you can put a lot more pulling force on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Do I need conduit for armored cable?

It depends on the specific situation and building codes in your area. Generally, armored cable does not require conduit, as it is already protected by its metal sheath. However, there are some exceptions, such as when the cable is exposed to extreme temperatures or hazardous environments.

2. Is conduit required for all types of armored cable?

No, there are different types of armored cable, such as steel interlocked armor (SIA) and aluminum interlocked armor (AIA). Some types may require conduit, while others may not. It is important to consult local building codes and the manufacturer's specifications to determine if conduit is necessary.

3. Can I use conduit with armored cable for added protection?

Yes, you can use conduit with armored cable for added protection. This can be beneficial in areas where the cable may be exposed to physical damage or moisture. However, it is important to make sure the conduit is properly sized and compatible with the armored cable.

4. What are the benefits of using conduit with armored cable?

Using conduit with armored cable can provide additional protection against physical damage, moisture, and corrosion. It can also make it easier to pull and route the cable, and allow for easier maintenance and repairs in the future.

5. How do I install conduit for armored cable?

The specific installation process will depend on the type of conduit and armored cable being used. Generally, you will need to secure the conduit to the wall or ceiling using appropriate fasteners, then feed the armored cable through the conduit. It is important to follow installation guidelines and consult a professional if you are unsure.