What can you do with a Math major? What does a mathematician do?

In summary, the person is still looking for a career and major that would fit them best. They are interested in math and think it may be a good fit for them. They have suggested a few options, one of which is a career as a math teacher.
its not a uncommon thing that people sometimes don't know trivial things..but are always afraid of raising boldly their point.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think a math major can do most anything afterwards, and maybe do it better thah most. i have heard for example that physics majors are favored in med school acceptances.

there is a reason for this - physics majors know how to reason and solve problems.

i think the same applies to successful math majors.

thinking skills are prized in maths and this makes math majors good at whatever they choose to do that has a reasoning aspect to it.

just a guess as i myself stayed in the fold, i teach and do math. but my wife was a math major and is a crackerjack doctor, and our older son was a math major and is a successful internet soft and hardware guru.

our other son scored higher than me on SAT math, and is a talented artist and English teacher and was briefly a semi - pro basketball player.

Last edited:
Aw so that's why some people say if you want to be a successful person, study math even if you don't want to do math in thee future!
*sigh*

What can one do with a maths degree...

I did a masters, then a PhD, now I write papers...

Some of my friends became accountants :biggrin: