Rather simple bouncing ball problem average acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average acceleration of a golf ball bouncing on a concrete floor. The given information includes the initial and final heights and the time the ball is in contact with the floor. The person is struggling to find the velocity of the ball when it bounces back to 1.2 m, but it can be found using the equation for energy conservation.
Godad
I'm stuck on this rather simple problem...

A golf ball released from a height of 1.4 m above a concrete floor bounces back to a height of 1.2 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for .62 ms what is the average acceleration of the ball whil ein contact with the floor.

I know that the two heights are given, h1 = 1.4, h2 = 1.2 and t = .00062 s for then the ball is in contact with the floor.

In order to find the avg acceleration, I need to use change in v over change in time.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the velocity of when the ball bounces back upto 1.2 m. Can anyone please help me figure out this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy conservation to find

[tex]v = \sqrt {2 g h}[/tex]

after the bounce.

Hi there, I can definitely help you with this problem! First, let's review the formula for average acceleration: a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

In this problem, the initial velocity is 0 m/s (since the ball is dropped from rest) and the final velocity is what we need to find. We can use the formula for average velocity to help us find the final velocity: vf = (h2 - h1)/t, where h2 is the final height and h1 is the initial height.

Plugging in the given values, we get vf = (1.2 - 1.4)/.00062 = -320 m/s. This negative value means that the ball is moving downwards when it reaches a height of 1.2 m.

Now, we can plug this value into the formula for average acceleration: a = (-320 - 0)/.00062 = -516129 m/s^2. Again, the negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity (in this case, downwards).

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck!

What is the "Rather Simple Bouncing Ball Problem"?

The "Rather Simple Bouncing Ball Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the average acceleration of a ball as it bounces on a flat surface. It is a simplified version of the more complex bouncing ball problem, and is often used as an introductory example to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and motion.

How do you calculate the average acceleration of a bouncing ball?

To calculate the average acceleration of a bouncing ball, you need to measure the change in velocity of the ball over a period of time. This can be done by measuring the initial velocity of the ball as it is dropped, and then measuring the final velocity of the ball as it bounces back up. The average acceleration can then be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the ball to bounce.

What factors affect the average acceleration of a bouncing ball?

The average acceleration of a bouncing ball can be affected by a number of factors, including the height from which the ball is dropped, the surface on which it bounces, and the elasticity of the ball. These factors can all impact the height and speed of the ball's bounces, which in turn affects the average acceleration.

How does the average acceleration of a bouncing ball change over time?

The average acceleration of a bouncing ball typically decreases over time as the ball loses energy with each bounce. This is due to the conversion of the ball's kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound, during each bounce. Eventually, the ball will come to a stop as its energy is completely dissipated.

How is the Rather Simple Bouncing Ball Problem used in real life?

The Rather Simple Bouncing Ball Problem is often used as a teaching tool in physics and engineering courses to help students understand the principles of acceleration, motion, and energy conservation. It can also be applied to real-life scenarios, such as studying the motion of a ball on a trampoline or a tennis ball bouncing on a court.