How can I integrate an odd function with limits from -A to A?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \int_{-\infty}^{infty} s e^{-\frac{2s^2}{N}} ds and the use of substitution to solve it. The correct limits of integration are also mentioned, and it is noted that the integral of any odd function from -A to A is zero.
stunner5000pt
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{infty} s e^{-\frac{2s^2}{N}} ds [/tex]

how do i integrate here?? I don't think the 'trick' of differentiating wrt N would work here since the limits of integration are all space...

any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
substitution

ok this is substitution i did

let x^2 = u
then 2xdx = du

[tex] I = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-u}{2 \sigma^2}} du [/tex]

what happens in [tex] \left[ e^{-u} \right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

something isn't right ...?

its supposed to be zero, no?

The Cauchy principal value of that integral is zero and that can be seen since you're integrating an odd function on an interrval symmetric wrt zero on the real axis.

Daniel.

When you change variables, change the limits of integration too.
Setting u= x2 in
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} s e^{-\frac{2s^2}{N}} ds [/tex]
(I would have been inclined to let u be the whole [itex]\frac{2s^2}{N}[/itex].)
does NOT give
[tex] I = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-u}{2 \sigma^2}} du [/tex]
you have the wrong limits of integration.

Actually, you don't need to use substitution at all. The integral of any odd function from -A to A is what?

What is the 'trick' of differentiating?

The 'trick' of differentiating is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a particular point. It involves finding the derivative of the function, which represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

Why is differentiating important in science?

Differentiating is important in science because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems and functions. It helps us determine how one variable affects another and allows us to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of a function and are essential in solving more complex differentiation problems.

What are some applications of differentiating in science?

Differentiating has many applications in science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. It is used to analyze motion, determine reaction rates, model population growth, and optimize processes, among many others.

How can I improve my skills in differentiating?

To improve your skills in differentiating, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems using the different rules and techniques. You can also seek help from tutors or online resources, and apply differentiating in real-world scenarios to strengthen your understanding and application of the concept.