Lagrangian mechanics: cylinder rolling down a moving mass

Your Name]In summary, we are dealing with a system of a rolling cylinder and a sliding wedge on a frictionless surface. The system has a total of four degrees of freedom, with the appropriate generalized coordinates being {q1, q2} = {xwedge, xcyl}. Since there are no external forces, the generalized forces are all equal to zero. The kinetic energy can be expressed as T = (1/2)M*Vwedge^2 + (1/2)I*w^2 + (1/2)m*vcyl^2, and the potential energy is given by V = mgy, where y is a function of the generalized coordinate xcyl and the angle of the wedge beta
BoogieBot

Homework Statement

A cylinder of mass m and radius R rolls without slipping down a wedge of mass M. The wedge slides on a frictionless horizontal surface. The angle between the wedge's hypotenuse & longest leg (which lies on the frictionless ground) is beta. The wedge's hypotenuse DOES have friction.

Determine the following:
a) # of degrees of freedom
b) appropriate generalized coordinates
c) the corresponding generalized forces
d) kinetic energy in terms of generalized coordinates
e) potential energy in terms of generalized coordinates
f) the equations of motion for each generalized coordinate

Homework Equations

L = T - V
T = (1/2)mv^2
V = mgy

xcyl = -R * theta
w = d{theta}
vcyl = dxcyl = -R * d{theta}
vwedge = dxwedge

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 2 DOF (wedge position, cylinder position) [but is theta {that is, rotation about the long axis} a 3rd DOF for the cylinder? this is my first point of confusion]

b) 2nd point of confusion: {q1, q2} = {xwedge, xcyl} OR {q1, q2} = {xwedge, theta} OR {q1, q2, q3} = {xwedge, xcyl, theta}

not answering b) precludes me from answering c-f as well

c) Q = F = 0 for all G.C.'s because there's no driving force... right? or do we count g as the driving force for the cylinder?

d) T = (KE for wedge) + (KE for cylinder rotation) + (KE for cylinder translation)
T = (1/2)M*Vwedge^2 + (1/2)I*w^2 + (1/2)m*vcyl^2

[but because the rolling cylinder has friction with the wedge's slope, but the wedge's bottom has NO friction w/ the floor, does the rolling cylinder push the wedge backwards? if so, how do I incorporate that into my formulation of T]

e) V = mgy

[I'm mystified. y = cos(beta) ?]

f) L = T - V

[that's all I've got for part f)... ]

Any/all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer some guidance on solving this problem.

a) The number of degrees of freedom (DOF) in a system is equal to the number of independent coordinates needed to describe the motion of all the particles in the system. In this case, there are two particles (the wedge and the cylinder), and each particle has three degrees of freedom (translation in x, y, and z directions). However, since the wedge is constrained to move only in the x direction, it has only one DOF. Therefore, the system has a total of four DOF (two for the cylinder and one for the wedge).

b) The appropriate generalized coordinates are {q1, q2} = {xwedge, xcyl}. This set of coordinates is sufficient to describe the motion of both particles in the system.

c) Since there are no external forces acting on the system, the generalized forces are all equal to zero.

d) The kinetic energy of the system can be written as T = (1/2)M*Vwedge^2 + (1/2)I*w^2 + (1/2)m*vcyl^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder about its center of mass and w is the angular velocity of the cylinder. The first term represents the translational kinetic energy of the wedge, the second term represents the rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder, and the third term represents the translational kinetic energy of the cylinder.

e) The potential energy of the system is equal to the sum of the potential energies of the two particles. For the wedge, the potential energy is zero since it is sliding on a frictionless surface. For the cylinder, the potential energy is given by V = mgy, where y is the height of the cylinder's center of mass above the ground. Since the cylinder is rolling without slipping, we can express y in terms of the generalized coordinate xcyl and the angle of the wedge beta.

f) The equations of motion for each generalized coordinate can be obtained by using the Lagrangian formalism, where L = T - V. The resulting equations of motion will be second-order differential equations, which can be solved using appropriate initial conditions.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system by considering its potential and kinetic energy, rather than using Newton's laws of motion. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century and is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze complex systems.

2. How does a cylinder rolling down a moving mass relate to Lagrangian mechanics?

In this scenario, the cylinder represents the moving mass and the surface it is rolling on represents the potential energy. Lagrangian mechanics can be used to derive the equations of motion for this system by considering the potential and kinetic energies involved.

3. What is the significance of using Lagrangian mechanics instead of Newton's laws for this problem?

Lagrangian mechanics allows for a more elegant and concise description of the system's motion by taking into account the system's energy rather than individual forces. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the underlying principles governing the system's behavior.

4. Can Lagrangian mechanics be applied to other systems besides a cylinder rolling down a moving mass?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics is a versatile framework that can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including pendulums, springs, and celestial bodies. It is particularly useful for systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is based on a set of assumptions and simplifications, so it may not be applicable to all systems. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and physics principles. In some cases, Newton's laws may provide a more straightforward solution.