Bachelor of Science in Physics vs Engineering

In summary: US. Don't know the exact process, but it's the same thing as a doctor or lawyer needing a license before they can really do their job.In summary, the individual has completed their first semester of a Bachelor of Science degree with mostly A's, but is considering switching to Civil Engineering due to a strong interest in Physics and the potential for a secure job. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to finish their degree in Physics and become a Civil Engineer or obtain a Master's in Engineering. They are also considering a career in research related to space. It is mentioned that Physics and Civil Engineering are not similar fields and obtaining a Professional Engineer license may be necessary for certain jobs in engineering. The likelihood of
MasterMatt
Greetings,

I have just completed my first semester of my Bachelor of Science degree and I got all A's, except for Biology, (but who cares, I'll never touch the subject again). I really, really enjoyed it, but I started thinking about what I wanted to do in four years. I don't want to pursue any medical fields, but I really enjoy Physics. I'm thinking that maybe I should switch into Civil Engineering, so that I'll be able to search for a secure job, but that means intersession, overloading courses, and losing all of the good grades I've attained. (Yes, I have checked to see what will transfer, and only Calculus does). I have until January 18th to switch my degree programs, and I am seeking your advice!

Also, is there any way to finish a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Physics, and become a Civil Engineer or obtain a Master's in Engineering?

Thank you in advance, and if you require more information, I will be monitoring this thread, so please ask.

Matt

***ps I have a very strong interest in space and possible research in that field..

Physics news on Phys.org
MasterMatt said:
...but I really enjoy Physics. I'm thinking that maybe I should switch into Civil Engineering, so that I'll be able to search for a secure job, but that means intersession, overloading courses, and losing all of the good grades I've attained.

If you enjoy physics, why would you go into civil engineering? They aren't similar.

Also, is there any way to finish a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Physics, and become a Civil Engineer or obtain a Master's in Engineering?

Depends if the CE program will let you in without a bachelor's in CE. There's no way to generalize the answer to this question.

MasterMatt said:
Greetings,

I have just completed my first semester of my Bachelor of Science degree and I got all A's, except for Biology, (but who cares, I'll never touch the subject again). I really, really enjoyed it, but I started thinking about what I wanted to do in four years. I don't want to pursue any medical fields, but I really enjoy Physics. I'm thinking that maybe I should switch into Civil Engineering, so that I'll be able to search for a secure job, but that means intersession, overloading courses, and losing all of the good grades I've attained. (Yes, I have checked to see what will transfer, and only Calculus does). I have until January 18th to switch my degree programs, and I am seeking your advice!

Thank you in advance, and if you require more information, I will be monitoring this thread, so please ask.

Matt

***ps I have a very strong interest in space and possible research in that field..

I know a few civil engineers very well, and like fss said, its not like physics at all. What do you mean by a "strong interest in space?" Do you mean space as in space itself, like General Relativity? Or do you mean traveling in space like an astronautical engineer might have interest in?

fss said:
If you enjoy physics, why would you go into civil engineering? They aren't similar.

Because...what can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Physics other than research?

nlsherrill said:
I know a few civil engineers very well, and like fss said, its not like physics at all. What do you mean by a "strong interest in space?" Do you mean space as in space itself, like General Relativity? Or do you mean traveling in space like an astronautical engineer might have interest in?
Research, as I said. Not space travel.

MasterMatt said:
Because...what can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Physics other than research?

No, it's because what you study in physics is completely different from civil engineering. They're really not that close at all. You should have a look at your school's curricula for the programs.

MasterMatt said:

I guess the question is really "What can't you do with a BS in Physics?"

If you want to do engineering, do engineering. If you want to do Physics, do physics. Neither guarantees a job in the first place.

fss is absolutely right, Physics actually allows one a greater diversity in research and jobs, as engineers aren't exposed to as much of the mathematics/physics and the engineering field is already concentrated as it's an applied science.

Jokerhelper said:
No, it's because what you study in physics is completely different from civil engineering. They're really not that close at all. You should have a look at your school's curricula for the programs.

Irrelevant. I didn't ask that. My question is essentially what can you do with a BS in Physics vs a BS in Engineering. Also, how likely is it to get a career with either?

MasterMatt said:
My question is essentially what can you do with a BS in Physics vs a BS in Engineering.
Straight out of college, any job that specifically requires a PE (or some sort of) licensure will be off limits to one without that license (civil engineering, for example).

Also, how likely is it to get a career with either?

Meaningless question. You are "likely" or "unlikely" to get a career with either depending on how hard you search, where you live, what salaries you're willing to accept, etc.

Last edited:
You can get a career with or without any degree. The degree just helps you get a career in a field in which you want to work.

fss said:
Straight out of college, any job that specifically requires a PE (or some sort of) licensure will be off limits to one without that license (civil engineering, for example).

Sorry, what is a PE?

MasterMatt said:
Sorry, what is a PE?

PE = Professional Engineer

It's a license bestowed upon someone by their respective state.

1. What is the main difference between a Bachelor of Science in Physics and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering?

A Bachelor of Science in Physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws that govern the physical world. It involves theoretical and experimental research, and prepares students for careers in research, academia, or industry. On the other hand, a Bachelor of Science in Engineering focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain various structures, systems, and processes. It prepares students for careers in areas such as aerospace, civil, mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering.

2. Can a student with a Bachelor of Science in Physics work as an engineer?

While a Bachelor of Science in Physics does not provide the necessary training and knowledge to work as an engineer, it can be a valuable foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in engineering. Many universities offer specialized engineering programs for students with a background in physics, allowing them to bridge the gap and become engineers.

3. Which degree is more math-intensive?

Both a Bachelor of Science in Physics and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, a Bachelor of Science in Engineering typically involves more applied mathematics, as engineering principles are often applied to solve real-world problems. A Bachelor of Science in Physics, on the other hand, may involve more theoretical mathematics to understand and explain physical phenomena.

4. What job opportunities are available for graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Physics or Engineering?

Graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Physics can pursue careers in research and development, teaching, or technical writing. They can also work in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, or energy. Graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering can work in a variety of fields, depending on their specialization, such as designing and building structures, developing new technologies, or managing projects in industries such as manufacturing, construction, or healthcare.

5. Is one degree more challenging than the other?

Both a Bachelor of Science in Physics and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering can be challenging, as they require a strong understanding of complex mathematical and scientific principles. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on an individual's strengths and interests. Some may find physics more challenging due to its focus on theoretical concepts, while others may find engineering more challenging due to its practical and applied nature.