Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Evo said:
Oh, that's scary. They look similar to peter peppers.

Evo,

Here is what to expect after about 8 weeks after germination of ornamental pepper seeds. They grow faster than the ghost peppers. First thumbnail is ornamentals, second is ghost's versus ornamentals (started at same time ! Wow), and the third is mature ghosts (about 3 months of growing) versus ornamentals. You have you work cut out for you. Be patient, and try to keep the top of the soil dry or almost dry, keeps fungus out, BTW I noticed small grub larve in some of my good potting soil so be sure to zap in in the microwave to kill all of the nasties. Good luck.

Rhody... :approve:

Attachments

• seedlings.JPG
    seedlings.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 262
  • seedlings1.jpg
    seedlings1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 270
  • seedlings2.jpg
    seedlings2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Made my own hot sauce last summer.
Serranos, jalapeños and habaneros with white vinegar, some salt and fresh garlic cloves.
Plan on doing it again this summer, with more peppers.

This thread is 3 years strong. :)

Insanity said:
Made my own hot sauce last summer.
Serranos, jalapeños and habaneros with white vinegar, some salt and fresh garlic cloves.
Plan on doing it again this summer, with more peppers.

Insanity,

Get ahold of some ghost's and you will never be the same after, I promise...

Rhody...

My ghost pepper plants (3) are blossoming and producing peppers, I count at least 20, one fell off when I was moving the pot and it is green, full of seeds, and I nibbled it, not a shade or hotness at all. The hotness must develop as the pepper matures. Funny too, the seeds already appear to be full size in the small pepper, which I find kind of odd. It shouldn't be too long now. Once they mature I will send out the seeds I promised to a member who requested them. Will post some pics this weekend.

Rhody... :devil:

Ghost peppers are disgustingly hot. It feels just like lightning striking your tongue and it only spreads and gets worse for like 20 mins. Milk is no help. How does anyone want to eat that?

Can I use this thread to try to identify a pepper?

Last year, a neighbor gave me some plants, she didn't know anything about them as they had been given to her. But I think she said the people she got the starts from were Romanian, or Polish, Or maybe it was one of each. So the peppers could be from that area of Europe.

The peppers were round and red, up to golf ball size, yet VERY thin flesh. Almost paper thin. White seeds. I would have guessed a cherry pepper by size, but the flesh was so thin. The heat was mild to moderate, but since there was no flesh, it had no flavor, so I never used them. I did keep the seed though, because I assumed they were heirloom from their native country(ies). Which is why I am asking. I want to know if I should try to see if they will still sprout next spring. I did have them planted in not so good soil, but the only place where we have all day sun. But I wonder if the poor soil could have contributed to very thin walls?

Also, one of the plants wound up being (probably) a banana. It only grew one pepper, so I didn't even taste that one, but I kept the seed also. But could the seed now be cross pollinated? I never really even kept the seed properly, but I figured I would give them a try if I could figure out what they were, and if people thought I would have better luck with fleshy peppers if they were in better soil. I have had great luck with my jalapeno (in a pot on the deck), so thought maybe I should sprout one or both of these.

Does anyone have a thought about the variety of either of these peppers? And should I give them a 2nd chance? (even though the seed will be old) I had no idea what I was doing last year. (not a big pepper fan)

Ms Music said:
Can I use this thread to try to identify a pepper?

Last year, a neighbor gave me some plants, she didn't know anything about them as they had been given to her. But I think she said the people she got the starts from were Romanian, or Polish, Or maybe it was one of each. So the peppers could be from that area of Europe.

The peppers were round and red, up to golf ball size, yet VERY thin flesh. Almost paper thin. White seeds. I would have guessed a cherry pepper by size, but the flesh was so thin. The heat was mild to moderate, but since there was no flesh, it had no flavor, so I never used them. I did keep the seed though, because I assumed they were heirloom from their native country(ies). Which is why I am asking. I want to know if I should try to see if they will still sprout next spring. I did have them planted in not so good soil, but the only place where we have all day sun. But I wonder if the poor soil could have contributed to very thin walls?

Also, one of the plants wound up being (probably) a banana. It only grew one pepper, so I didn't even taste that one, but I kept the seed also. But could the seed now be cross pollinated? I never really even kept the seed properly, but I figured I would give them a try if I could figure out what they were, and if people thought I would have better luck with fleshy peppers if they were in better soil. I have had great luck with my jalapeno (in a pot on the deck), so thought maybe I should sprout one or both of these.

Does anyone have a thought about the variety of either of these peppers? And should I give them a 2nd chance? (even though the seed will be old) I had no idea what I was doing last year. (not a big pepper fan)
I'm trying to find a pepper that matches your description. Jumbo cherry bombs might be it, but they don't say if they are thin walled.

Anyway, this site has a great list of peppers.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms Music said:
Also, one of the plants wound up being (probably) a banana. It only grew one pepper, so I didn't even taste that one, but I kept the seed also.
You might have been given a Hungarian Wax pepper plant. This is a popular chili that is used to make paprika. The peppers are elongated, and often over 6" in length. Those are wonderful for making stuffed peppers. The peppers start out green, then go to a yellow color before finally ripening to red. I like splitting them, stuffing with hamburg and spicy tomato sauce and topping them with Monterey Jack. Put them on an aluminum pizza pan and cook them on the grill until the cheese browns.

I can't help you with the spherical thin-walled peppers. Never saw any peppers that would match that description.

Thanks Evo, that website was more extensive than what I had found! But still finding nothing that really jumps out and says THATS IT! Cherries are still the closest. Maybe I will just have to try to grow them so I can actually identify them. My memory might be wrong. Or maybe they were thin walled because I picked them too late?

Turbo, when you told me about the Hungarian Wax a few weeks ago is what got my brain gears turning, wondering if I should try to start those seeds. This pepper was only two inches or so long, but as I said above, I planted them in poor soil. Oh wait, you said they ripen to red, this was still yellow when I picked all the peppers. Hmmm.

Will it matter (if I start the seeds) that these plants had been side by side? Do they cross pollinate?

I think I will see if they will germinate anyway. I don't know why I am wanting to grow peppers so much now, as I really don't eat them. But maybe I could start making my own salsa... But I only eat it once or twice a year when I go out to our local Mexican restaurant. (I eat the entire bowl by myself, using about 6 chips.) Oh well, it is a fun experiment. And I have at least a dozen jalapenos on my plant. So maybe it is worth trying again.

Here are the Hungarian Wax peppers. They are great producers, and the chilies are roomy enough to stuff.

bigHungarianWax.jpg

That looks awful big, but I still won't say no as the plant and pepper could have been stunted from poor soil. But I do intend to grow the Hungarian Wax. They sound good.

Here is one from Evo's link that I think sounds very close (page 5)
[PLAIN]http://www.tomatogrowers.com/photos/s/SANTA-FE-GRANDE---L3317.jpg

"Santa Fe Grande #9716 (30 seeds) $2.55
These small, light yellow peppers are about 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, tapering to a point and resembling a miniature banana pepper. They are not sweet, however, but about as hot as a Jalapeno, measuring 5,000 to 8,000 Scoville units. They can be enjoyed fresh, but are also perfect for pickling. Their small size and medium-thick walls make them ideal for putting up into jars for use in salads, sandwiches, or salsas. Eventually, this pepper ripens to orange-red. 75 days. "

I just can't verify if they were hot or not.

Oooohhh, homemade pickled peppers sounds amazing right now. And those little yellow ones in my picture would be just perfect. *drools*

Ms Music said:
Oooohhh, homemade pickled peppers sounds amazing right now. And those little yellow ones in my picture would be just perfect. *drools*
Pick out a simple dill pickle recipe, and as you pack the jars put in lots of whole cloves of garlic and some jalapenos, serranos or other chilies before packing in the cukes. Such dills are perfect for sandwiches, and the garlic cloves and chilies are great treats as you get near the bottom of the jar.

My brother makes the best pickled veggies! Nice and hot and garlicky. But he doesn't share very well. :grumpy:

I want these!
PepperBlackHungarian.jpg

Black Hungarians. Have you ever grown these? They sound good. And they are so GORGEOUS! *faints*

Ms Music said:
My brother makes the best pickled veggies! Nice and hot and garlicky. But he doesn't share very well. :grumpy:

I want these!
PepperBlackHungarian.jpg

Black Hungarians. Have you ever grown these? They sound good. And they are so GORGEOUS! *faints*
You tell your brother to share or I'll take out a pickle hit on him!

I have never grown the Black Hungarians, but the Hungarian Wax Chiles are very hardy and produce prolifically. They are just a bit milder than jalapenos, but large enough to stuff and make nice BBQ treats with. Jalapenos are very nice for poppers (stuff with cream cheese and crumbled bacon and top with Monterey Jack), but the Hungarians are big enough to allow them to be used instead of Bell peppers in some applications.

But Hungarian Wax don't have pretty purple flowers...

turbo said:
You tell your brother to share or I'll take out a pickle hit on him!

Nah, I will let him be a piggy. I make a LOT more money than he does at the moment. He is a general contractor, and the economy has made it tough for him to find work. I let him have most of the veggies in the garden, too. Even though they taste better, I can afford grocery store kale and corn. He pickles and freezes everything. If I was helping can, it might be a different story.

Besides, I think you two would get along.

(Evo - he's single! but wrong coast)

Ms Music said:
Besides, I think you two would get along.
I think so. Is he a guitarist? I have a dearth of local guitarists. When I ran the open-mic jams at local taverns, great guitarists from 30-60 miles away would show up. I don't have much fun playing guitar for myself, and so I'm getting out of practice.

Ms Music said:
But Hungarian Wax don't have pretty purple flowers...
Those are beautiful!

(Evo - he's single! but wrong coast)
I'm in the middle, either coast works for me! :biggrin:

Evo said:
I'm in the middle, either coast works for me! :biggrin:
:rofl:

Ohhh yeah, I can't believe what the warm weather and a little TLC will do, I will have a ton of peppers compared to last year, see for yourselves... Any more takers that want to try some I will send you some seeds, PM please, Don do you want to try a few ?
I just watered the plant after I took these pics and the plants perked right up, they are thirsty little devils while producing fruit.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1206/peppers2.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/8691/peppers1.jpg

I am going to try to cut the bushes way back and keep indoors over the winter for next year, I am getting the hang of this as years go by, but next year will be whatever makes it through the winter and the 880K red habs.

Rhody... :devil:

Very nice-looking plants, rhody. My chilies are struggling through another very nasty summer - too rainy and cold to start, and a recent hot drought that seems to have stalled everything, even chilies. If you'd send a few seeds my way, I'd be happy to give them a try next season. The Carribean Red Habaneros are doing nothing this year, and my stocks of chili relishes are dangerously low.

Here we are approaching the end of August, and the high-heeled young lady almost wearing a swim-suit and leaning on a BMW is ready to give way to another. ;-)

Turbo! I thought about you the other day! I bought a habanero from the supermarket. I put 1/4 of it in a small amount of chicken and it tasted like I did not even put black pepper in there -_- I cannot understand what went wrong with that pepper lol If you're going to sell habs do it right dammit *shakes fist*

HeLiXe said:
Turbo! I thought about you the other day! I bought a habanero from the supermarket. I put 1/4 of it in a small amount of chicken and it tasted like I did not even put black pepper in there -_- I cannot understand what went wrong with that pepper lol If you're going to sell habs do it right dammit *shakes fist*
The stuff from the store often sucks! I tried making salsas and chili relishes with store-bought chilies for a few years before we got this place with a nice garden spot. They were crap. Then, the people who had LOVED my relishes and salsas before got very leery of them because suddenly the condiments had some serious heat. I am the only person left that will eat my habanero relish. Actually, my wife will take a bite or two of a hot dog if I have dressed it with habanero relish and hot mustard, but my brother, my neighbor, and another friend/former co-worker have all sworn off. Too hot for them. My brother will dress his cheeseburgers with my jalapeno/garlic relish when he comes for a BBQ, but he steers clear of the habanero relishes.

Yeah man ...That stuff sux. I am not exaggerating, it tasted like I put no pepper in it. I would probably steer clear of your habanero relish, but if someone is used to this store stuff they might be hurt later on when they try the real deal lol.

HeLiXe said:
Yeah man ...That stuff sux. I am not exaggerating, it tasted like I put no pepper in it. I would probably steer clear of your habanero relish, but if someone is used to this store stuff they might be hurt later on when they try the real deal lol.
The store-bought chilies are probably picked and shipped green and not properly ripened. The chilies that I pick off the plants in my garden are very potent. The first year that I moved here, my organic-gardener neighbor dropped in for a visit and we toured the garden. I plucked a couple of green habaneros and started munching on mine. He took a tiny bite, and was still carrying his chili when he headed back down the road.

I am not real judgemental about the ability to handle chili heat. I had a blue-crowned conure years back that would eat any pepper that you gave her - the hotter the better, and the fresher the better. She'd pick chilies out of her food bowl and gobble them down, ignoring some of her other favorite foods.

Rhody, are those your ghost peppers??

Evo said:
Rhody, are those your ghost peppers??
Yes, not fully ripe yet, maybe this weekend or next week. I will dry some seeds and send more your way. Turbo, Don, and NeoDevin, I will be putting some in the mail for you guys as well.

If you want peppers in mid late August you need to start them by March at the latest, use a heat mat and decent grow light. Indoors these things succomb to all kinds of maladies, aphids, fungus, rot of some kind or other. One thing that seems to contribute to this is the top of the soil being wet. For that reason, get some kind of pot you can water from the bottom and only water from the bottom, and microwave all the soil you use before you transplant them from starter cups. They seem to like a sparing amount of miracle grow in June or July before they flower. Make sure you harden them before putting them outdoors for good. Once the stalks are as round as a pencil they take off fast.

I am going to do red habs next year and since I will have a ton of seeds from this batch will put some into compare the growth rates. They always seem to do better outdoors after Memorial Day. I plan to take the three plants and cut them way back in September, and bring them indoors. They claim you can get ten years out of the plants, for two of my three this year, it will be their second season producing ghost peppers. Remember, if you pick them before they are ripe, they are not HOT.

\Rhody... :cool:

rhody said:
...Turbo, Don, and NeoDevin, I will be putting some in the mail for you guys as well.

Thanks rhody.

...use a heat mat and decent grow light.

What do you recommend for the light (wattage, etc)?

dlgoff said:
Thanks rhody.
What do you recommend for the light (wattage, etc)?

Don,

I bought one online about three years ago which is a standing frame (about 2 feet long, and the light hangs down from the top of it, about 3 feet high) and the light can be raised and lowered in the frame. Not sure of the wattage, but it puts out frequencies that most plants seem to like, the light appears more pure white that a regular flourescent light. The main reason I use them is to get the plants jump started and growing quickly. A green house (80% F would be ideal) but I don't have one. The light cost some where around 30 or 40 bucks. The bulbs only last 3 or 4 years because they lose their intensity if you use them alot, which I don't. Good luck.

Rhody...

BTW. Bringing in all plants because of the hurricane/tropical storm Arlene that will be heading our way this weekend. I checked them again last night and there is a ton of peppers and at least that many more flowers that will produce even more of them.
Here is an https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grow+light+stand&tag=pfamazon01-20 to something similar to the grow light with stand that I bought.

turbo said:
The store-bought chilies are probably picked and shipped green and not properly ripened.

I think you are right turbo!

I have a question, maybe some of you know for sure, maybe not. Since these ghost peppers are hot as hell, I want to know if seeds from fully ripe ones will produce hotter peppers than seeds from less mature ones. I have some ripe and some not. I will taste test a seed fro either type to see if there is a difference. In the meantime any expert advice is appreciated.

Rhody...

rhody said:
I have a question, maybe some of you know for sure, maybe not. Since these ghost peppers are hot as hell, I want to know if seeds from fully ripe ones will produce hotter peppers than seeds from less mature ones. I have some ripe and some not. I will taste test a seed fro either type to see if there is a difference. In the meantime any expert advice is appreciated.

Rhody...
I'm no expert on horticulture, but my expectation is that the seeds are delivery packages for the peppers' genetic material, and that any difference in the heat of the next generation of peppers will be a function of how they are treated, how much light and heat they get, etc. Just my 2 cents and it may not be worth even that.

I read somewhere that the hotness increases when the peppers are stressed. I'm not sure what 'stressed' means, unless it's something like being deprived of water, or getting too much sun.

Of course, the hotness depends on the variety, which depends on the plants DNA and microstructure.

I'll have to try and over-winter the habs in doors - assuming I can keep the cat(s) away. I'm guessing that peppers need at least 10 hrs or so of light per day. They don't seem to do well without direct sunlight.

FYI - http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I read somewhere that the hotness increases when the peppers are stressed. I'm not sure what 'stressed' means, unless it's something like being deprived of water, or getting too much sun.
For chilies, I have read that stressing them increases yield, and can mean something as simple as not giving them the amount of nitrogen that other plants need. I'm planning on trying some container-planting with Rhody's seeds in pots that have been depleted of nitrogen by repeated plantings of basil. The article that I read mentioned that if you plant peppers in nitrogen-rich soil, the plants will get very green and bushy, but not flower and set on fruit well. That may be part of my problem with chilies this year, in addition to the extreme weather. I tilled quite a bit of composted cow manure into my garden last fall.

turbo said:
For chilies, I have read that stressing them increases yield, and can mean something as simple as not giving them the amount of nitrogen that other plants need. I'm planning on trying some container-planting with Rhody's seeds in pots that have been depleted of nitrogen by repeated plantings of basil. The article that I read mentioned that if you plant peppers in nitrogen-rich soil, the plants will get very green and bushy, but not flower and set on fruit well. That may be part of my problem with chilies this year, in addition to the extreme weather. I tilled quite a bit of composted cow manure into my garden last fall.
My approach to peppers and tomatoes is to give them nitrogen in the early part of the season to encourage growth, then phosphates and potash in the middle and later part for flowering and fruiting. That seems to work.