Calculating Beam Deflection using Double Integration

In summary, the question asks to calculate the deflection at point D on a simply supported beam, while ignoring the distributed load. The deflection can be calculated using the double integration method and the boundary conditions for the deflection at A and B, where both are zero. The reactions at A and B can be calculated as P/4 and 3P/4 respectively.
mm391

Homework Statement

If the distributed force is removed from the beam in the picture attached and not considered, calculate the deflection at point D.

Homework Equations

Double integration for deflection [V]

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment = Ra*x-P(x-3*L) =

Slope = 1/EI*((7p/4)*(x^2/2)-(Px^2/2)-(3PL)+c1)
Deflection = 1/EI*((7p/4)*(x^3/6)-(Px^3/6)-(3PL)+(c1*x)+c2)

Boundary Conditions to calculate c1 and c2
x=0=4L V=0

I am not sure of another boundary condition. I thought maybe

x=2L Slope=0 but I do not think this is right.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
Your boundary conditions at A and B are very curious.

Since the beam is simply supported at both A and B, what BC must apply?
(Hint: they will both be the same)

When x=0 V=0
or
When x=4L V=0

This is because they are simply supported so therefore there can be no deflection at either end. But don't I need a BC for the slope. As there is an unknown slope at A and B how can I find one to use?

I'm confused. V usually represents the shear force. Are you using it to denote deflection?

I reread your OP.

You can still use the BCs for deflection at A and B since you have only two unknown constants of integration.

Sorry out lecturer started using V for deflection but I see in most textbooks it is U.

How can i calculate C1 if I don't have a boundary condition for a slope?

You can't specify a slope for a simply supported beam.

Your two BCs are the deflections at A and B, both of which are zero.

From my boundary conditions I have:
c1=-PL^2/8
c2= 3PL

Using these I still have the wrong answer for the defelction at D. Can anyone see where I maybe going wrong?

What reactions did you calculate at A and B?

I made a mistake. I worked out the reactions which included the Distributed load. The question asks us to ignore the distributed load.

In which case my reactions are:

Reactions@A= P/4
Reactions @B=3P/4

The of the beam from the left hand side of P is (P/4)*x = M1
The moment from 3L<x<4L is (p/4)*(x)-P(x-3L) = M2

Boundary conditions I can see are (now using U as the deflction):

x=0 U=0
x=3L Slope=0 (although I am not sure this is correct as we are given no info about the slope)
x=4L U=0

Is this correct?

Sorry I am struggling to see where I am going wrong.

Last edited:
Two boundary conditions are sufficient, since there are only two constants of integration. The BCs at the ends are easily determined by inspection. Although there is a point of zero slope somewhere between A and B, it may not necessarily be at x = 3l.

1. How do you calculate beam deflection using double integration?

To calculate beam deflection using double integration, you will need to use the double integration method. This involves finding the first and second derivatives of the load function and then integrating twice to find the deflection function. The deflection at a specific point can then be calculated by plugging in the value for the variable.

2. What is the double integration method?

The double integration method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the deflection of a beam under a given load. It involves finding the first and second derivatives of the load function and then integrating twice to find the deflection function. This method is commonly used in structural analysis to determine the stability and strength of a beam.

3. What are the assumptions made when using double integration to calculate beam deflection?

There are a few assumptions that are typically made when using the double integration method for beam deflection calculations. These include: the beam is straight and initially undeflected, the material is linearly elastic, the cross-section of the beam remains constant, and the load is applied gradually and does not exceed the elastic limit of the material.

4. Can double integration be used for all types of loads and beam configurations?

Yes, the double integration method can be used to calculate beam deflection for various types of loads and beam configurations. As long as the assumptions mentioned above are met, this method can be applied to determine the deflection of a beam under any type of load, including point loads, distributed loads, and moment loads.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integration for beam deflection calculations?

While the double integration method is a commonly used technique for calculating beam deflection, it does have some limitations. It may not provide accurate results for beams with complicated geometries or when the load is not applied gradually. In these cases, other methods such as the moment area method or the conjugate beam method may be more suitable.