Christmas Gift Ideas: Share & Get Ideas!

In summary, my girlfriend got a new model of a dog toy, I got a shovel for my wife, and my dad bought a bathroom scale as a gift for my mother.
Marzena said:
I am here, I want a tiny tiny macro lens :wink:
Tiny, like the Canon 50mm macro? :biggrin: That would be a nice compromise for cycling - the 100 mm is primo, but that entails mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife has a folder with a whole bunch of family recipes in it that her grandma gave her. They're typed up on one of the old printers that has the tear pieces on both sides, so a lot of it is faint, and it's just one long continuous sheet. Well I was going to type them all up and print them out and kinda make a book out of them.. I just haven't figured out how to MAKE a book yet lol Or where I'm going to find the time to type it up without her knowing...

Kronos5253 said:
My wife has a folder with a whole bunch of family recipes in it that her grandma gave her. They're typed up on one of the old printers that has the tear pieces on both sides, so a lot of it is faint, and it's just one long continuous sheet. Well I was going to type them all up and print them out and kinda make a book out of them.. I just haven't figured out how to MAKE a book yet lol Or where I'm going to find the time to type it up without her knowing...
I have had books made professionally online. It's awesomely affordable.

For example: I once took a friend's full-length novel manuscript, provided the cover art and had it made into a paperback and delivered to him for Christmas.

It is in every way indistinguishable from a paperback bought from a bookstore.

It cost me less than $100.

DaveC426913 said:
I have had books made professionally online. It's awesomely affordable.

For example: I once took a friend's full-length novel manuscript, provided the cover art and had it made into a paperback and delivered to him for Christmas.

It is in every way indistinguishable from a paperback bought from a bookstore.

It cost me less than $100.

I was thinking about doing this actually for my girlfriend. I have a lot of sketches a few of her and some of just random other things was thinking about getting them bounded and all that stuff but I'm not sure how to go about it... like do they take a digital copy of whatever you send to them? Do you have a link to whatever company you used by any chance?

Sorry! said:
I was thinking about doing this actually for my girlfriend. I have a lot of sketches a few of her and some of just random other things was thinking about getting them bounded and all that stuff but I'm not sure how to go about it... like do they take a digital copy of whatever you send to them? Do you have a link to whatever company you used by any chance?

Yep. They'll bind anything.

I set up a free account at CafePress http://www.cafepress.com/

I sent them a PDF of my manuscript, and the cover art, and a few weeks later, a copy of the book showed up at my door.